Please allow me to introduce myself...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
woofer

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Post by woofer »

In the 50s and 60s, I saw my dad shaving every day with, I think, a Gillette Tech, a mug of Williams soap, and a tan-colored brush. He also kept a straight razor in a brown leather case, and a strop. Even though these strange instruments were fascinating for a small boy, I didn’t use those in my teen years. An electric Remington was more appropriate for a bad case of acne. Then, I grew a beard for about 10 years. Only at the end of the 70s did I borrow one of my dad’s Techs, with a blue Gillette blade. I scraped my face many times over two weeks, till I realized that you had to change the blade! Ah, that felt much better. At the time, I was using Tom’s of Maine Honeysuckle cream: that was my favorite alternative to Old Spice and Palmolive. Good and clean shaving.

That was shortlived, for in the 80s, I jumped onto the plastic bandwagon: Trac, Sensor, canned foam, gel, whatever. I also found some good cream too, like EarthScience. But I tended to cut myself so often that some people started giving me a ‘nick’-name: Scarface. I didn’t have the right technique, obviously going too fast, shaving compulsively. I often wore a band-aid under an ear.

I was always using the Sensor till a couple of years ago, when I decided to do something about all those cuts. Changing creams for Alba or Zhyr only made the problem worse. Using Castile soap wasn’t really it. For a moment, I thought about going for the new multiblades, then I realized how gimmicky those were compared to the basic double-edge razors. Where was the original Gillette?

Stumbled upon the shaving forums, and learnt plenty, thanks to you guys. I ordered a beginner’s kit from Tryphon: Weishi, blade sampler, brush. I dared to experiment with Merkur and Feather blades, and found them much smoother than what people said about them. By and by, I acquired a small collection of vintage Gillette razors on eBay, and re-learnt how to shave well. Many more cuts later, I got it: good soap, a good blade, short strokes, go slow and be patient. Make it a ritual: that’s the whole point that we tend to miss with the gimmicky-plasticky units. A ritual means that you pay much more attention to what’s going on, and the nice smells of the creams and oils give you another incentive to enjoy and relax your moves. It’s more sensuous than Sensor.

Now, I decided to go a notch further and to limit my collection to one or two razors: a Futur and an Edwin Jagger 89L. I like them both equally. I’ve never had such high quality razors before. Using them is so much fun. I don’t know yet which one I’ll keep, maybe both of them. A good shave oil helps my skin to stay supple every morning, and the other creams and soaps add to the variety of smells and experiences.
Last edited by woofer on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Welcome, Woofer...I guess the big dog is in the house!
(Sorry, couldn't resist...I'll now slink away... :lol:)
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome, and it sounds as though you're well into traditional shaving enjoyment.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the good read, and welcome to the land of the living :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Woofer, welcome to SMF!
Is the user name related to canines or audio?
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Woofer, welcome and a really nice post. Good reading and you most certainly have gotten right into the process and experience. Continued good results.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Welcome!
Take care and God bless,
Steve
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Welcome woofer!

Where do you live?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
woofer

Post by woofer »

Thank you all for this great welcome.

I live in Montreal, Quebec (just added this detail to my profile), and my name doesn't refer to a dog (I'm a cat lover) but to the groovy bass of a musical beat.

Yeah, why did I choose a name like "woofer"? If I had chosen "YMMV" instead, I'd be the most popular guy ever on this forum...
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome Woofer! Glad to have you on board!
Regards,
David
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard Woofer.
Regards,
Squire
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Welcome woofer,
I'd say you're in the right place!
Rob
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Welcome to the board Woofer!
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Welcome to SMF. It's nice to hear about someone learning the ropes here, even though we didn't know you were one of us.....until now. I suspect that there are quite a few more gents like you...lurkers who benefit from what's here even if we never get to 'meet' them.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, woofer, from a fellow cat lover who is your same approximate age!

- Murray
bavi

Post by bavi »

Welcome woofer, cool read.

See ya around
Hello
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Welcome Woofer

Hope you enjoy your stay here, look forward to your posts.

All the best
John
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Woofer, welcome!
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Woofer, great to have you here, not as just a lurker, but a participant. You're going to fit right in. Thanks for the well-written intro.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
woofer

Post by woofer »

Woo-hoo. Being welcomed by such experienced shavers here feels totally awesome!