best canned goo?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
GregPQ

best canned goo?

Post by GregPQ »

I just got out of the hospital, and used their plastic disposable/canned goo for one godawful shave.

I'm thinking of sneaking a Slant in next time. I could bring a tube of EJ shave cream, but if I went for the canned stuff, what would be the best of a bad lot?

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

just go for a brushless
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

Proraso
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Greg, Just bring in a tube of quality shave cream and lather it up with your hands. You'll get a smoother cut than with any canned product. I've tried some of the most expensive canned foams and gels on the market and they weren't as good as Barbasol, IMO. Why spend the extra money?
Regards,
Gordon
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

+ on the Barbasol - comes in a small travel can as well which would be great for the stealth action.

Do a good prep, leave your face as wet as possible and the Barbasol will work fine. Love that scent, wish someone would come out with a soap or shave cream with that Barbasol scent.
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Are those small travel cans really as good as the regular sized ones? I don't think I've ever tried one, but other travel sized aerosols were awful...nothing but air practically, no body at all. Just curious.
Regards,
Gordon
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

The last time I used canned cream was over a year ago on my honeymoon. I just had a travel size can of Gillette foam from the Target store $1 aisle. It was better than any gel I've ever used. There wasn't a lot of propellants in the can so the foam came out heavy and wet. Really nice actually. Gels I've found turn to fluff too quickly if over handled.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Okay. I've only used travel foams twice that I remember. One was some generic brand that surprisingly was made in England and the other was Pinaud Clubman. Both were totally airy-fairy, no substance. The reason I always favoured Barbasol was that it seemed to have more body than most canned products. I would use the Original or the Lime.
Regards,
Gordon
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Get well soon Greg!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Decleor (a French company) makes a shave foam in a can that's pretty good. And smells great too (mint and clove). It's actually made in the UK.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yep, I've tried that one. About the best of the expensive ones I've used. I still didn't think it was better than Barbasol though...truth.
Regards,
Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

It's recently been reformulated (within the last 6-12 mths) but I don't have any reference to compare it to other than the Santa Maria Novella foam which I've used years back. Both give me a reasonable shave.

Chris
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Another vote for Barbasol...

...I recently picked up a can of the Barbasol with lanolin (hey, it was 99 cents) and tried it for a few shaves. The secret seems to be lathering with it and letting it sit for a l-o-n-g time, then rinsing and re-lathering. I got decent shaves...

But more importantly, get well.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

I use Noxzema when I'm in a rush, works pretty darn well.

gsgo

Post by gsgo »

bernards66 wrote:Gary, Are those small travel cans really as good as the regular sized ones? I don't think I've ever tried one, but other travel sized aerosols were awful...nothing but air practically, no body at all. Just curious.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon - I found no real difference and I usually take it on trips as a back up or weekend getaways when I do not want to pack a full kit. I actually find it dispenses the lather a little easier than the original large can. Here in Chicago you can usually find a large can for anywhere from $0.99 - $1.29 most of the time the small travel can is more expensive.

Cheers!
Good shaving,

Gary
ateace

Post by ateace »

I've had good results with Nivea Sensitive gel as well as Gillette Foamy and Barbasol.

The key with the foams is to work out all the propellant so that you're left with a nice, moist cream instead of a layer of puff.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Noxzema - the yellow one - is nice
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Okay. Good to know in a pinch....one never knows...
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

This thread got the experimental juices flowing again -- it's been a year since I went off the canned stuff -- so I pulled a can of Barbasol off the shelf to compare to the KMF I've been using of late. Not that it was a bad shave; there's certainly more cushion with the Barbasol and it spreads easily. But there's also way less slick, and halfway through the shave my face was dry. It reminded me that all the cans of cream and gel I tried before had the same drying effect, so it's not just this brand. I slapped on an extra helping of Post-Shave Healer afterward to make up for the desert conditions, and I'm sitting here typing this and scratching my neck. Well, I had to know.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Well, yeah....that's the basic problem with them ( aesthetics aside ), they don't hold any water...don't bond with it. So, the only water you get is what you manage to retain on your face once you've wetted it down. Therefore, not much in the way of 'glide'. You're also right though about it having more cushion than traditional lathering shave products.
Regards,
Gordon