Pasteur's AGAIN

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
CK

Pasteur's AGAIN

Post by CK »

Well, I have to make a trip to Brooklyn tomorrow. I was informed by the boss (pops) that I have to go pick up new work from a client as I have never met them before. I have spoken to them many times over the phone, but Its better in person. That may be the only thing the old man and I have ever agreed about in our lives.

I dont get reimbursed for gas or mileage, although it is a nice tax write-off. I think I can rationalize a trip to Pasteur's on my way back to Queens from Brooklyn as reimbursement.

I am thinking of treating myself to either MWF, Tabac, or DR Harris Almond Soap. There is always the possibility I will run across something else that strikes my fancy though. I have been meaning to try the Salter's Creams. Can anyone recommend anything else that is in Pasteur's regular stock?
Charlie
CK

Post by CK »

P.S. I will have to make sure I have an extra bbs shave for the client.
Charlie
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

How much of a tax write-off can you get for a trip from Queens to Brooklyn and back? :lol:
Jim

a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

As a wetshaver, I understand your wishes, desires, wants, and "needs". But as a former New Yorker, and native of Brooklyn and Queens, getting back to Queens from Brooklyn by way of Manhattan?!?! Interesting. As a wetshaver/ shavegeek, justified. As a New Yorker/businessman/your Dad, you have some imaginative explaining to do........go for it.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
CK

Post by CK »

Dave,

Good point but I will fit it into my lunch break somehow. It is mid-day so I wont run into much traffic...or I could take the train.
Charlie
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Let us know how it goes. I've been to Pasteur's. It's worth the effort.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree with Dave, only a 'far gone geek' would contemplate going from Brooklyn to Queens via Manhattan to pick up a little something for his shave. Of course, I'm no one to point fingers, as I once insisted we drive directly from JFK into Manhattan to hit up a shop before they closed, and then turn around and drive back to a room we had reserved in Hicksville in the middle of rush hour....sigh....but I wouldn't do it today....I really wouldn't.
Regards,
Gordon
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

bernards66 wrote:I agree with Dave, only a 'far gone geek' would contemplate going from Brooklyn to Queens via Manhattan to pick up a little something for his shave. Of course, I'm no one to point fingers, as I once insisted we drive directly from JFK into Manhattan to hit up a shop before they closed, and then turn around and drive back to a room we had reserved in Hicksville in the middle of rush hour....sigh....but I wouldn't do it today....I really wouldn't.
Regards,
Gordon
Yeah, right. That bridge in Brooklyn is still for sale, too. :D
Dave

Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Gordon, yes, you would.
Regards,
Jani
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Which one are you going to? The 34th St. store is probably closer to the subway lines and so more amenable to a "quickie" side trip. I was at the uptown store so I can't compare. Does anyone know if one is stocked better (from "our" point of view) than the other?
Dave

CK

Post by CK »

I was literally going from the east end of queens to the courthouse area. It was already a trip and a half. I figure my detour only added about 20 minutes of drive time. I decided to dip my hands into some of the cheaper products they have at Pasteur's. I went to the 63rd St location. I got:

JM Fraser's mosswood cream in a tub
Speick cream in a tube
Musgo Real cream in a tube and
Arko Citrus cream in a tube (only cost $2.50 so I am not expecting much from this one!)

All in all it was a good trip. I really like the smell of the ones that were open (mosswood and speick). I am looking forward to trying one of those two tomorrow! Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with any of thees? I have heard great things about the speick, but not many others.
Charlie
CK

Post by CK »

I also bought the 7am razor blades....
Charlie
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

No, I would NOT!....not today.....no...

Dave, From my experiances the two Pasteur's location seem about equally well stocked. They may have a few more brushes at the 63rd St. store, but if so, not by much. When I'm in the City I just tend to hit the one that's more convenient at the time. That usually turns out to be the one on Lexington, but that's because I'm hitting other shops in that neighborhood.
Regards,
Gordon
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Charlie,
I have used the Speick and Musgo. Both were excellent with the Musgo giving especially smooth creamy lather, with smooth feeling skin, probably due to the lanolin (which can irritate some folks). I liked the scents of both.

Gordon,
Glad to hear that. I was at at the uptown shop and didn't want to think I missed anything important :roll:. Given enough time, and the convenience of Manhattan's buses and subways, a little side trip could have been planned if there were significant differences in inventory.
Dave

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Charlie, I did a review on Speick that is a part of a sticky at the top of the shaving cream & soap forum.

Don't underestimate Arko citrus, it's scent reminds me of grapefruit and lemon and is perhaps not the choice of all but it fades fast. The performance however is outstanding and a genuine value priced product that works well above its pay grade.
Regards,
Squire
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

CK wrote:P.S. I will have to make sure I have an extra bbs shave for the client.
Why, is she nice looking? 8)
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Squire wrote:............Don't underestimate Arko citrus, it's scent reminds me of grapefruit and lemon and is perhaps not the choice of all but it fades fast. The performance however is outstanding and a genuine value priced product that works well above its pay grade......
If you agree with Squire (who wouldn't?) Arko would be a fantastic buy. I see it in all the Indian grocers I go to to stock up on sandalwood soap, tea, herbs and spices, and juices like mango, passion fruit, etc. The Arko costs $2-4/tube (the further north in my town, the higher the prices) making it one of the best deals in high-perfoming SC. I picked up a tube of Old Spice SC that smells just like my Dad's Old Spice of years ago. Puts the current stuff to shame ($2.99/tube!!!!). Detrol, Godrej, and the Arko are available and cheap. It varies among the different stores. Gents, if you don't have any Indian grocers around, PM me and the next time I go to one, I can send you what is available. Just cover the cost and shipping. I go every few weeks or so.
Last edited by a-cut-above on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dave, It's interesting, The Indian groceries in Houston/Dallas apparently stock this sort of stuff also, but the ones here in Tampa...not a thing shaving related. No idea why the difference but I've checked out several of them and no dice.
Regards,
Gordon
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Hey Charlie,

I primarily use the natural stuff these days, Fitjar from Norway being one of them, but I do sometimes dip into those classic tubes. So easy to load on top of a favorite brush with an inch (some Trumpers barbers insist on an inch) which I also agree with. Used to love them & I still do when I can find a tube that had the same "feel & look" of our past favorites. We all keep searching.

Max
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Dave, Old Spice, that scent brings to mind some great memories.
Regards,
Squire