Trumper's Jermyn Street: The Bell Tolls/

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Trumper's Jermyn Street: The Bell Tolls/

Post by Bargepole »

Idiotic plans to "smarten up" one of the few unspoilt-ish bits of London -- that area round Jermyn Street -- have been approved. See here. Given the inevitable rent increases that will follow, I doubt Trumper will return (nor, almost certainly, will the venerable hatter, Bates).

The "conservative" mayor of London, the absurd Boris Johnson, has declared he will not overturn the planning authority's decision.

For lovers of authenticity (though I am unsure how much of that Trumper can legitimately still claim) the good news is that the Jermyn Street shop isn't the original. That's in Curzon Street, 10 minutes' stroll away. But still...
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Michael,

I haven't been to London since '72 when I studied theater production and stayed in the West End. I feel for the coming loss and doubt that I would recognize the city nowadays.
dash maverick

Post by dash maverick »

Prior to reading this thread, I read on the other forum a couple weeks ago that Trumpers was planning on moving to a new location.
Anthony

The Dashing Maverick
"mostly imitated, barely updated"
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I asked in an earlier post regarding this. If a newcomer to WS in California hears about it, and american tourists go to london town for the UK of movies,literature and history and NOT downtown Judy Brown or McDonalds somebody blew it. We might as well just go out to Arizona and see London Bridge and ride the red double decker across. :(
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I'm not an Anglophile (not by the standards of this forum anyway) but these kinds of stories sadden me.

Another tweedy loss from a couple years back:
http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000174.html

(I misremembered, the post is of a semi-positive development)
Last edited by cjc15153 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

How depressing. Entirely uncalled for....and just plain stupid, really. As someone said above, why bother going to London if they insist on turning it into just another city that could be anywhere. From what I can tell, they've already done that to Old Bond Street.
Regards,
Gordon
ateace

Post by ateace »

bernards66 wrote:How depressing. Entirely uncalled for....and just plain stupid, really. As someone said above, why bother going to London if they insist on turning it into just another city that could be anywhere. From what I can tell, they've already done that to Old Bond Street.
Regards,
Gordon
I, too, fear that many of the world's cities risk losing their unique flavor due to "mallification". The good news, I guess, is that Trupmer's itself still exists.
Chap

Post by Chap »

From talking to the chaps in the shop, they tell me the move will be for just two years, I even saw the shop they are planning to move to, not more than 100 yards from the premises at number twenty.

I really hope you are wrong about this, as the Jermyn street shop has a lovely character. As said in the previous thread, I believe this to be a move on the part of the Crown Estates.
dridiot

Post by dridiot »

Gentlemen,
It seems like the thing to do:
Screw Up the Perfectly Fine Stuff and Then Try Hard to Fix Them back to The Way It Is BEFORE!!!
Regards,
~ Jason ~
Double Edge Shaving Place - Simpsons and Omega Shaving Brushes / DE Blades / DE Blade Samplers / Grooming Products & MORE available OR PM me....