How much shave stuff do you guys have

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
mustang66

How much shave stuff do you guys have

Post by mustang66 »

Hi All,

One thing that I have enjoyed about this forum is the sheer amount of top quality products you guys have. I remember seeing a thread a while ago with pictures of peoples cabinets, was amazing to see how much stuff you guys have collected.

I reckon many of you have enough for several lifetimes, the reason I bring this up was I just had a friend over, and I have a very small amount, he goes why so much shave stuff :)

Heaven forbid I tell him to check out this forum :)

This wet shaving sure is a disease, I just ordered some Taylors, and now thinking of placing another order, where does it end or doesnt it?

Craig
stagger

Post by stagger »

Unlike most Gents on here I have what I consider minimal shaving gear. A pure badger brush, two razors... a Gillette ball end Tech and a Fatboy. Two shave soaps... Williams Mug, and Chelseas Garden. And a half a handful of aftershaves and colognes. Am also saving $$ to buy my first straight. I really don't plan on getting much more except maybe some Mitchell's Wool Fat or Harris Almond. I truly enjoy my shaves and the great results I get but for me, shaving is not a hobby.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

As I said many of the guys here have enough for 4-5 lifetimes, its great to see all the gear though.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Well, Craig, you can take this as far as you want to, your choice. Some on the forum have a small amount of gear they're happy with and there’s nothing wrong with that. Others have a substantial amount and are still looking for more. I personally fall somewhere in between.
Part of it is simply when you find a good product you like i.e. soap, cream, blades, etc. you never know if it will be around next year or even next week. So a sort of hoarding takes place to ensure you have enough of your favorite product. The more favorite products you have the more your inventory is going to be.
Others simply like shaving gear and "pride of ownership" of shaving products.
If you hang around here long enough you can bet your inventory will grow; that's not such a bad thing but no need to get in over your head financially.
Regards,
David
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Totally agree with you there, as long as you can afford it and enjoy it why not, couldnt agree more. We all have vices and hobbies, my main vices are golf/guitar which take quite alot of my finances up.

I think your right with what you say though, due to all the reformulation and the discontinued stuff like coates etc, Im not surprised people buy up big cant blame anyone for that.

Was not having a shot at anyone at all, its just great to see all this stuff that people have, blows my mind, but as someone who enjoys this its always good to see. Its like anything you enjoy I guess, it hooks you in and you kinda get that obsessive thing about it. Life is too short I guess, so may as well enjoy it while your here.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Oh and more importantly than that, its great for the relative newbie like me to have guys of Gordon and the likes knowledge, makes our life as newbies a bit easier, I have gotten some great advice here. I am a member of quite a few forums, guitar, cars etc, but I must say the guys here are the most helpful and friendly and generous, cant ask for more than that.
StraightRazorRookie

Post by StraightRazorRookie »

I'm pretty new on here, and I'm on the front end of collecting. I'm also amazed at the stuff guys have. I sure understand it though - I'm also a fly fisherman (trout) and have enough gear, esp. rods & reels, to last me the rest of my life if I fished 200 days a year. At that, most of it'd be in good enough shape to eventually make it's way to my grandkids.

Part of the accumulation thing for me is I'm curious. Curious how well different razors and brushes work in comparison to each other, effectiveness of different blade & soap brands, etc. No other way to tell than to get ahold of them and try 'em out.
Ed, the Straight Razor Rookie,
documenting the journey at:
http://straightrazorrookie.blogspot.com
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I have one brush (plus one collector's item which I do not use), a Plisson HMW #24 set in plexiglass.

I have one double edge razor. It is a Merkur travel kit rebranded for Hoffritz, N.Y., vintage 1970 or so.

I have one active and one back-up puck of hard soap. Trumpers sandalwood.

I keep as many as ten blades in stock. Whatever my local shave shop has on hand when I need blades...currently Merkurs.

See pictures I posted in this thread of my full shave kit. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41117

That's it. I am known somewhat around these parts for my minimalist approach to shaving. I simply want the best possible shave every morning and I want it always to be the same. It is.

Buzz
ateace

Post by ateace »

I have lots of stuf. Mostly razors, blades, soaps and creams. I do have a stockpile of discontinued creams such as Coate's, Tom's, Body Shop original formula and Proraso Red.

My current goal is to pare down the consumables to an amount that I could conceivably use up by the time that I'll probably have to stop DE shaving.

The only AD that hasn't hit is for brushes or mugs/scuttles.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am another minimalist - and own the following:
  • 2 brushes, one of which I never use anymore,
    a couple of shave sticks (Valbora and Palmolive Classic),
    three soaps (MWF, C&E Sienna, Proraso green tub)
    a few creams (GFT Rose, GFT Limes, GFT Sandalwood, The Body Shop, Proraso green tube)
    Several packs of Derby Extra, a couple of packs of US Personna, and a pack of Tesco blades
    Undated Gold Tech (ball-end), Undated Canadian Tech (fat handle), '56 Superspeed, '59 Fatboy, 70 Super Adjustable (black-handled), and a Chatsworth.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

:roll:
Regards,
Jani
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I'm sure I'll get to the minimalist point, but right now I'm enjoying a slow experimentation. I'm pretty low on stuff right now, but about to place a decent sized order on WCS.
Razors: '57 SS, Weishi Gun Metal, Fatboy, Micromatic (Single Edge) Knack (rarely used)
Brushes: C&E (EJ) Best, Vulfix Boar, Omega travel boar
Blades: Bulk Astra Superior Plat. and Dorco ST301, plus a few others, order Crystals in Bulk
Soaps: MWF (current puck almost gone but ordering more), TSD Signature, Speick stick, plus ordering a few more
Creams: KMF Key Lime - I tried lots of cream samples and decided I prefer soaps.
Aftershave: TSD ADG Type Splash, Conk Lime

The only thing I will need to purchase in the next year after my WCS order will be aftershave. That means I'll have a chance to fill a want or two. I expect I'll get an EJ razor and/or a nice Silvertip brush.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Plan A for restocking/settling in for 2010:

Schick N-type injector w/NOS blades
Schick Krona w/more blade testing to replace Swedes
Simpsons Duke 3 Best (guess it deserves another go)
Simpsons Emperor 3
Savile Row 3122 or 3120
Trumper's or Harris Almond soap, Trumper's Rose soap
Trumper's Limes cream, some other cream TBD
Harris Pink a/s; Trumper's Limes Skin Food; Clinique Post-Shave Healer

Still pondering on a two-band Colonel X2L. Still tempted by the EJ89L.
Ron
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Way too much stuff. If I had time to spend at the post office I'd sell most of it.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Chris,

I hear that you have quite the collection, im very envious :)

It really has been an eye opener, I never figured people would have as much as they do. But I sure can see how it gets addictive. I just brought 2 pots of taylors arrived yesterday, then I received a trumpers lime sample, now im considering ordering a pot as I really liked it.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I never figured people would have as much as they do. But I sure can see how it gets addictive.
Yes and we have troubles with the wifes, girlfriends living with us, though I have been gathering all slowly, better that way. Also It is something you should consider, your next credit card bill :P

Most of us who have stayed in the shave forums, do have gathered quite a lot that we dont really need. Just my recommendation is to go slow if possible, hehe.
Jarmo
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Yeah I know what you mean, it does get addictive, I have some more blades on the way as well as a Gillete Tech, I pay cash, or direct bank transfer, lucky I dont have a credit card anymore, im thankful for that at least :)
merkri

Post by merkri »

I have a bunch of stuff--too much in fact--but I sort of came to this position not entirely of my choosing. For example, I now have 5 razors, but I really only purchased one (a Slim Adjustable), for $5.00 no less--the rest I either inherited or received as a gift.

I have one brush, which I did as a restoration for the fun of doing the restoration, rather than to have a brush.

I also have a number of soaps. I guess I take most of the responsibility for that.

It's all fun. You just have to admit you like wetshaving and accept it.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I forgot to mention that I also keep two bottles of Skin Food on hand (Sandalwood and Ros) as well as an alum block, and a tube of My Nik is Sealed.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

wendall you call your self a minimalist? haha

before i joined smf .....i went thru the 70's and the 80's and the 90's
with just one razor and brush ....a coffee cup for a mug. what ever soap i could find (mostly williams or col conk or edge gel)

one or two packs of blades at the most..

now i have two razors (futur and a ikon) two rooney brushes, a scuttle and regular mug from dirtybird, and two soaps MWF and trumpers
two aftershaves clubman and trumpers skin food

and about three years with of merkur blades

as most here know i have and do try other stuff and then sell it off
unless its so good it replaces one of my two items that are my goto's

happy new years
marc