The "Other" Pasteurs

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
2clfrwrds

The "Other" Pasteurs

Post by 2clfrwrds »

I was once again in New York for business, with a free morning, and you can probably guess what I did, despite the wicked cold: walked to a Pasteurs Pharmacy, of course. (What else is there to do in Manhattan?) Here's some cellphone pix to give a sense of how great a brick-n-mortar experience can be.

In the past I've always visited the shop on 62nd and Lexington, but this time I did something completely different and went to the one on 34th and Madison. First impression: this one has more and better stuff.

Not even half of it:

Anything a GFT fan would want (deodorant, anyone?):

Both DEs and straights are available off the shelf (but the cartridges have to be secured up front behind the checkout counter):

A full shelf of Mitchell's, although I was more interested in smelling the Royall samplers:

Very democratic and class-free: the Floris begins on the shelf below the Proraso, next to the DR Harris, above the Arko and Palmolive:

I summoned all the self-restraint I could:

The only area where the 34th Street shop seemed thin compared to Lexington is shave brushes. Maybe they're secured behind the counter with the cartridges, and I just missed them.

--Glenn
slimjim5751

Post by slimjim5751 »

Glenn i have just fell in love with that shop i am still drooling :lol:
Blacksetter

Post by Blacksetter »

All I can say is WOW..

I haven't been in Manhattan in forty years, and up until now, didn't have the desire...

I'll have to build up my courage! :)
Better a diamond with a flaw than a polished pebble... Bill Brown

A Sporting Dog should Sport... Norm Sorby
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

I had to put on a lobster bib while perusing those pictures! I can't tell you when I salivated so much...........

Thanks for sharing,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Glenn, Great pics, the Floris is a relatively new addition. The 34th Street store is the one I used to go to primarily, but it's been Lex. the last couple of times just due to logistics. Most of the time their stock has seemed comparable in both shops although it varies back and forth a little depending on when you stop by. In the past, the brush selection was stronger in the Lexington Ave. location, but they definately had some on 34th as well. One can easily go broke in Pasteur's ( despite their very competative prices )....and a couple of ( former ) members did ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Glenn, your pics prove that there really is a heaven on earth. Thanks for posting them.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Be still my foolish heart.
Regards,
Squire
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

That is awesome, nothing like that here in Australia, on my next visit to the US, I will have to go there.

Thanks for the pics :)
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I wouldn't know what to buy. :wink: :lol: Imagine the credit card statement in a month's time................ :lol: :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, Well, that's happened to a few poor buggers who used to post here.....wound up on the stoop with grocery bags full of shaving goodies. A few hardened long time shavegeeks like me can go there and just come out with a couple of small items but even I'm glad that I don't live in the neighborhood.....of course, if I could afford to live near the Lexington store I guess it wouldn't matter.
Regards,
Gordon
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Must.not.book.seat.on.next.Acela.to.NYC !
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what Bruno said, but would add an s to the card, for how could one card survive (unless of course you have one of those black amex thingys)???

Awesome thread, Glenn. many thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
druphus

Post by druphus »

Great stuff Glenn, Thanks!
Regards,
Andy
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm happy to go to Pasteurs on your behalf!

It just occurred to me that some gents might be concerned about privacy issues, with me taking pictures in a pharmacy. I did think about that, and you'll see nobody in the pictures (not an accident, because the store was actually pretty busy). I consciously tried not to make anyone uncomfortable by taking pictures; when anyone came by, I was busy punching buttons like I was texting. I'm confident no one was bothered.

--Glenn
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Very thoughtful Glenn, can't be too careful.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Glenn, That place is ALWAYS "pretty busy"....and your photos capture part of the reason why....sigh
Regards,
Gordon
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I really hate the use of the word 'amazing' in normal conversation as there are so few things that are truly amazing such as the birth of your child,.....and....well that's about it. But when I see that there really is a store with all those products on shelves that you can just grab and smell and check out that is ....ammmm, bleh..not quite amazing but it ranks right up there. :D
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Yeah, and that's not the only shop in NYC like that. But they generally have the best prices. Now do you see why I don't mail order much since I travel to NYC periodically?
Regards,
Gordon
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Outstanding Glenn! Thank you for sharing and letting us drool!
Regards,
David
diggity

Post by diggity »

Jeez Glenn! That's just fantastic!
Nathan