Shaving in Cold Weather

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
GregPQ

Shaving in Cold Weather

Post by GregPQ »

It was -1°F (-18°C) yesterday morning, and 8°F (-13°C) this morning :shock: .

I usually make some allowance for such conditions. Maybe restrict my ATG passes and generously apply after shave balm afterwards.

Anyone else make adjustments?

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Greg,

While I have a slightly bigger preference towards soaps and splashes this winter I have been slipping more creams and balms into the rotation than usual. Have even bought and sampled a few more than usual most likely due to the weather.

So far the results have been quite good and has renewed my interest in creams and balms. I have also had good success with my alum block which works very well coupled up with either my balms or splashes.

So much for nailing down a tighter selection.
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Greg, Well it rarely gets 'cold' here although the last couple of nights have been in the 20s, which is almost unheard of. And I sometimes spend a week or so in the NY/NJ area in Nov. or Dec. I don't change my usual shaving patterns for this, other than I take cream on those trips. But I use cream most of the time anyway. I never do ATG passes, so that's not an issue. In really cold weather I might have more of a tendency to go with Clinique PSH rather than my usual Harris's Pink but that's about it.
Regards,
Gordon
giammi

Post by giammi »

I tend to use less Proraso and Spanish Floid. I like their refreshing and revigorating characteristics in summer, but less in winter (even if my bathroom has more or less the same temperature throughout the year)
merkri

Post by merkri »

Where I've been lately, it's been anywhere from lows of -14 F to 0F, and highs of -5F to 10F.

I've just tended to switch to the more moisturizing soaps and found that was enough. I didn't really change much else, and didn't see a need to.
Janus

Post by Janus »

Nothing special here, normal shaving routine. I must admit, though, that the gentlest breeze feels pretty crisp on a freshly shaven face at -30 to -35°C that we've had here lately. Only -8°C today. Winter has it's benefits, though, even shavingwise. I'm thoroughly enjoying my favorite aftershave - cold water - this time of year and really miss it in the summer.
Janus
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah Janus, I thought the water was ALWAYS cold in Finland....I bet it is too. Here, through much of the year there REALLY is no cold water except out ot the refirgerator. One rinses with coolish, room temperature water...sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
Janus

Post by Janus »

Gordon, a common misconception. I wish it was, but sadly, no.
Janus
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Gordon has a mild climate my fellow countryman. It is not expected much understanding for heating drying up the skin.

For me I could shave every day since my face sure can take it. But my skin cannot. So I shower every other day. And use the electric shaver for those days I cannot take the shower.

Jarmo
Jarmo
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I use after shave balm or cream in the winter.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
ateace

Post by ateace »

For the coldest, dryest part of winter, I use a moisturizing brushless cream like Lucky Tiger Molle or Kiehl's Close Shavers Squadron, followed up by a good balm.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I personally prefer shaving in the winter to the summer. Ottawa's climate is very similar to Finland's (I have lived in both) so I can understand where Janus is coming from. Other than not normally using Proraso in the winter, I pretty much use the same stuff.

I admit, that freezing cold splash on the face as a final rinse is awesome feeling. I particularly like to shave after a winter outing skiing, skating, whatever.
Last edited by jww on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

It depends. Normally I go for creams during the cold and dry winters we have here but I've mostly used soaps this winter. I do use a thicker aftershave most days though. I've used either the Pink or Skinfood and finished with Taylor's herbal cream. Sometimes I've needed to re-apply the cream during the day. It's just been so darn dry here.
Regards,
Jani
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't make any change Greg bit the weather pattern here is warm to hot to really hot and humid all year round. The women are filling the restaurants during this short cold spell because they finally get a chance to wear their fur coats.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Janus, That surprises me. When I lived in the northeastern US the cold water was cold even in summer. Maybe not quite AS cold, but still what I would call cold. We had a well though.
Regards,
Gordon
Empty Words

Post by Empty Words »

In the winter, I don't use products with menthol as much, and usually a moisturizer after a shave.
Janus

Post by Janus »

Gordon, having a well would probably make all the difference here as well.
Janus
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Winter, summer, spring, fall - doesn't matter. I don't change anything here in New Jersey.

I am like Janus in that I really do like the cold water splash after the shave. City water does get nice and cold in the winter. It'll start to warm up mid-spring, which is why I keep a half-liter of water in the 'fridge!
Take care and God bless,
Steve
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

This is the first year in a long time that we've had "some cold weather" for any length of time in Mississippi. Regardless, I don't change my routine whether hot or cold weather. What ever strikes my fancy.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
StraightRazorRookie

Post by StraightRazorRookie »

No changes in my routine here in MN. Although with the nasty bit of weather we've had since Christmas Eve, I wonder why I live anywhere north of the 25th parallel...
Ed, the Straight Razor Rookie,
documenting the journey at:
http://straightrazorrookie.blogspot.com