Shaving in the shower

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
95%

Shaving in the shower

Post by 95% »

Not infrequently I see comments from fellows who shave in the shower, and some of them are enthusiastic about it. I've never understood the rationale of SITS, so I'm inviting them now to enlighten me.

I do understand that if I were pressed for time, it could make sense. I'd have a fog-free mirror, a can of aerosol lather, and, for safety, a cartridge razor with me in the shower. I'd spread the lather on my face by hand, shave it off in one pass, and quickly rinse the residue away. All done in a minute or two, and I'd emerge with a so-so shave that would get me through the day.

But if I were aiming for an SMF-quality shave, I just can't see how it could be done. I need about 30 seconds to mix my lather in the bowl and another 15 seconds to face-lather for the first pass. Each stroke of the razor is slow and deliberate. After the first pass, I repeat the process three times. All in all, my shave takes about 8 minutes.

In the shower, there is no convenient place to put the bowl and the brush. Hot water is running wastefully throughout the whole period. It's a hydrating environment to be sure, but the awkwardness would seem to offset any benefit from that. What am I missing?
Porter
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Before coming over to the DE side of shaving my final efforts to improve my cartridge shave was by shaving in the shower. I was simply using a Fusion along with Anthony Logistics Shaving Cream. We have shelves installed in the shower so storing and access was pretty easy along with a fog free mirror that worked quite well.

While probably getting the best out of cartridge shaving this way, about two years ago I finally just gave it up. The price of cartridges and mediocre shaves lead me to a i-net search and low and behold I found Mark's youtube videos along with SMF and the rest is history.

I couldn't see myself trying to DE wet shave in the shower.
Good shaving,

Gary
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Naval shower on-off shower head. Low-flow variety is the type I use.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I don't favor shower-shaving for the following reasons:

1) Very water and resource intensive. All that hot water running, just to provide a humid environment, just doesn't add up to me.

2) Poor or no visibility. I've never had a decent fog-free mirror, so I have mostly just done without. It's not ideal, IMO.

3) Tends to strip away lather. Unless one is very careful, a lot of good lather goes down the drain because of mis-directed spray.

4) Water may not be hot enough. My body can't stand an extremely hot shower but I need pretty hot water for shaving. It's not an ideal match-up.

5) Dropping stuff. There's a tendency to drop the brush, lather bowl, and (worst of all) razor because of all the running water.

The only way I'd ever go with shower shaving would be if I were using a Panasonic wet/dry electric shaver. Most of the above considerations fade away in that case (it's fast, so you don't waste much wather, you don't really need to see, you don't need super-hot water and lather), though you certainly don't want to drop an expensive item like that.

But for DE shaving . . . sink for me, thank you.
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Sink-shaver here. I will admit I've never tried shaving in the shower, but it just doesn't seem practical. To each his (or her) own, just enjoy your shave!
Take care and God bless,
Steve
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

makes no sence to me,, i cant see any benefit and only can forsee the down sides

old school is the way!!!
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I used to shave in the shower. Mach3, Williams soap, bristle brush, anti fog mirror. Worked like a charm. After a while the mirror quit 'antifogging' and went back to the sink and shaves severely deteriorated. The shower, with all the humidity, made sure my face was nice and hydrated and opened up all the pores. The results were very good.
95%

Post by 95% »

Gary, were you ever able, shaving in the shower, to get as close and precise a shave as at the sink?
Porter
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

My skin is better now because I use better stuff on my skin now. Better soaps and creams (how good is Williams really for your skin) and better post shave products. But I was for sure able to get just as close a shave then as I am now. I use DEs now due to cost, but back then I never had a problem, and liked, the results of the mach3.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Really guys, shower shaving isn't that tough...

Shower
Use water shut off to stop flow
Make lather
Apply
Shave, and rinse razor under water that drips from the shower head
Rinse

I used to swear by it, especially with a DE, but since my daughter is now a teen, I shave in the sink. :lol:

As for the mirror, why use one? You've been shaving that face for most of your life...
Jack

95%

Post by 95% »

So shaving blind is OK with you, Jack?
Porter
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

paperpundit wrote:Really guys, shower shaving isn't that tough...

Shower
Use water shut off to stop flow
Make lather
Apply
Shave, and rinse razor under water that drips from the shower head
Rinse

I used to swear by it, especially with a DE, but since my daughter is now a teen, I shave in the sink. :lol:

As for the mirror, why use one? You've been shaving that face for most of your life...
Yes, that's how I do it. Quite easy, actually. I shave my head and face daily with a DE, and, with all the lather flying around, the shower is the ideal environment for me. The sides and back of the head are accomplished via the 'braille' system.

I get consistent bbs shaves.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
95%

Post by 95% »

Chuck, with regard to your beard, how many passes do you do in the shower to get a BBS? I can't get it at the sink with less than four.
Porter
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

Porter,

Three passes works for me. The shower environment softens the whiskers very nicely.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
95%

Post by 95% »

Wow. Shaving blind in the shower, with a brush and soap, three passes, and a BBS. I never would have believed it. I won't try it myself because I dislike the distractions of the shower, but I'm impressed that it works for you chaps.
Porter
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Yes Porter, blind...and its funny, because when I shaved my head, the whole shave seemed easier.

Now that my wife prefers stubble on my gourd, the touch-and-go method seems tougher...
Jack

Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Distractions?! What you got a marching band in there with you?

But seriously Porter, you should try it, your face is super hydrated in that steamy shower.
95%

Post by 95% »

Yeah, the hydration I can appreciate. But I gotta tell you. A naked man, even (or especially) if it's me, is such a ridiculous-looking animal that with any self-respect he will want to get that shower over with in a hurry, wrap a towel around himself, and move on to the proper civilized act of shaving over a sink.
Porter
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Sea showers; rinse,water off, lather,shampoo,shave,rinse. Turn around and realise this E6 gunner's mate is just standing there watching everybody. Later he comments 'girls? pshhhawwh, you should see my gun collection when we get back to port, have a few drinks.' You learn to shower even faster.
I'm a civilian now, from the same root word for civilized.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, I 'could' do three passes blind with a DE in the shower if I wished to....but I don't. For some of the practical reasons that BeatlesFan mentioned and also because I'm a traditionalist and shaving in the bath is just bad form...it's not how it's done you see?
Regards,
Gordon