Help Need Better Razor!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
BruceTheBaldGuy

Help Need Better Razor!

Post by BruceTheBaldGuy »

Fusion razor going down,but not the price.is it me or not,I've used them for a while now and they last less than a week and are tearing my neck up from the first shave right out of the pack,any help would be great,I tried the DE just can't get the hang of it,tough on the head,not to mention I called Gillette and they told them the razor I have are counterfeit. if they don't come in the colored plastic blade holder(orange and blue) and there are no little indentation on the back of the blades,after I spoke with them they said they would contact me and I never received any info in the mail or never got a call back.I'm not sure if my info is accurate and not not opening up a can of worms,I'm done with Fusion either way.I need a better razor NOW.
Baldi
Thanks BTBG
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi and welcome to the forum if i didnt welcome you before

i dont know much about a multi blades these days ,,actually i never did know much about them. i had a brief time with a few years back i would get them in the mail. no idea why. i would use them but never really impressed me. sometimes i would buy some blades for the handle and i found after the model wasnt current the blade quality changed

over all they are a pain in the ***....

you say you cant get the hang of a de razor.. but you havent told us what de you have used. or what blades etc etc

there is a learning curve and prep is key too as well as soap

there are many models to choose from but basically it boils down to two choices. mild or aggressive

how to choose is personal many like mild shaves and many like a aggressive shave. for many reasons

the blade is what does the work and getting a blade that you like and that works in a razor you like takes a little time once you like the blade and razor combo and develop the technique with a good soap your on your way.

about head shaving i have no clue

so maybe more info can help us help you

marc
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Bruce,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, come often and stay long. I can't speak on head shaving, someone else will have to give advice on that, but DE razors can be found "brand new" or you can buy a vintage version. Some may be several years old and some may be "SEVERAL YEARS OLD". You can find razors for sell on the Selling and Trading site on this forum and ebay usually has a ton of razors for sale. You're best option is to buy one from a forum member. The return gurantee and the quality is normally better than what you may receive on ebay. Although you can find some good razors on ebay.

Enough of that. A Gillette Super Speed and a sample pack of razors with an inexpensive boar brush and a puck of (Walmart) Van Der Hagen Soap is a good start until you perfect your technique. Once you have the technique down pat, experimentation is the key to finding the right razor/blade/cream or soap combination.

Read some of the archives on this forum and get an idea of what I speak. Ask your questinons and they will be answered by some of the most experienced wet shavers around.

I hope I've given you a little insight.

Good luck and enjoy your shave...

v/r
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
95%

Post by 95% »

Bruce, your razor is only part of the equation. For a decent, irritation-free shave, it's important first to hydrate the face thoroughly, preferably in the shower. You then must apply a shaving cream of some kind to the beard. Perhaps your present cream contains ingredients that irritate your skin, and you should try something else.

I have used the Fusion since it was introduced in 2006 and have had no problems with it. Other men use traditional razors and are equally happy with them. Spend some time browsing these forums, and you'll learn a lot. You will find your way to a comfortable close shave.
Porter
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hello BTBG -

You have a lot of good feedback, so far. Beard prep before the lather is very important, and I'm very pro-Gillette double edge. Even so, you might get better results just by reducing the number of blades in your cartridge.

I learned to shave with a Schick Injector and a Gillette double edge. When the twin-bladed razors came out, I switched to a Gillette Atra, and later a Schick Tracer. Both of these worked pretty well for me. When the Mach 3 came out, I was amazed to find, repeatedly, that I simply couldn't use it. For anything other than a straight up-to-down stroke, it felt like it was going to catch my skin and tear it. I never could get past that. So, I stuck with the twin-blades, and eventually I found that I got my best results with a single blade.

This is my personal experience, with very sensitive - perhaps more accurately "delicate" -skin.

- Murray
BruceTheBaldGuy

Post by BruceTheBaldGuy »

thanks all,I been here a while, just quiet,and haven't really had any trouble until recently. I use the fusion cream,with the fusion blades,but can say I use my Super Badger Brush every morning,I don't know how people can shave with out a brush.I just looked, the DE is a Merkur razor with a Merkur Super blade,and frankly had no luck with that at all,kind of scared of it.especially on the head,I also tried that razor that goes on your fingers,didn't work for me,blades sucked too.I do remember using the Geo,cream in a tube,that was sweet,just a pain to keep ordering it,I tied the oil's the hard soap,they didn't help,I swear the fusion is shortchanging us.I'm willing to try something new, I am going to order some Trumpers,I miss that.I'm sorry I don't remember the guy that I ordered from here,he's the one who introduced me to this forum,and I'm not considering a SR my wife might get a hold of that...today I tried her Venus,it didn't do too much had to clean up with the fusion,and it tore me up after the 4-5 time over,it just doesn't cut,I don't wear jackets,I wear double up Carhartt hooded sweatshirts,and they rub my neck/jaw,by the end of the day I'm hurting.if I start out smooth in the am.the sweat shirts are off by 3 and i'm good,if i don't get close it burns all day. my wife hates the whiskers if you get my drift.. I was watching TV and watch a guy take a DE in his had and clean up some spots,I open the paper on the blade and said I'll end up in the hospital trying that...thanks guys
Thanks BTBG
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I'd be looking at a classic Schick injector or a Gillette Tech -- both are easy to work with and very forgiving.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CJS

Post by CJS »

BruceTheBaldGuy wrote:thanks all,I been here a while, just quiet,and haven't really had any trouble until recently. I use the fusion cream,with the fusion blades,but can say I use my Super Badger Brush every morning,I don't know how people can shave with out a brush.I just looked, the DE is a Merkur razor with a Merkur Super blade,and frankly had no luck with that at all,kind of scared of it.especially on the head,I also tried that razor that goes on your fingers,didn't work for me,blades sucked too.I do remember using the Geo,cream in a tube,that was sweet,just a pain to keep ordering it,I tied the oil's the hard soap,they didn't help,I swear the fusion is shortchanging us.I'm willing to try something new, I am going to order some Trumpers,I miss that.I'm sorry I don't remember the guy that I ordered from here,he's the one who introduced me to this forum,and I'm not considering a SR my wife might get a hold of that...today I tried her Venus,it didn't do too much had to clean up with the fusion,and it tore me up after the 4-5 time over,it just doesn't cut,I don't wear jackets,I wear double up Carhartt hooded sweatshirts,and they rub my neck/jaw,by the end of the day I'm hurting.if I start out smooth in the am.the sweat shirts are off by 3 and i'm good,if i don't get close it burns all day. my wife hates the whiskers if you get my drift.. I was watching TV and watch a guy take a DE in his had and clean up some spots,I open the paper on the blade and said I'll end up in the hospital trying that...thanks guys
Depending on what blade you use, the non-adjustable Merkurs can be on the aggressive side. In addition to the Injector or Tech, a Krona or Weishi razor might also be good ideas for milder razors.
-Chris

"I'm sorry, I thought this was America!"
95%

Post by 95% »

I'm thinking the problem is less in the razor than in the prep. Bruce, since you plan to order from Trumper's, let me suggest the Coconut Oil soap. It's mild. I'd discontinue the Fusion glop. Is it possible you're over-cleaning your face or washing it too vigorously? That can irritate the skin to begin with, and when you then apply lather with a brush, you're really working the devil out of your skin. I would avoid washing it again at night, except with plain water and perhaps one of Thayer's alcohol-free witch hazels. Also, I'd suggest you follow up the shave with a balm rather than an alcohol-based AS.
Porter
grumpy old codger

Post by grumpy old codger »

Futur! Next :P question.