June 6 Watch Out!!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

I saw that ad as well. At first it had some of the old DE images as well. I thought it was a commercial for a TV show about shaving through the years. It caught my interest untill I figured it was just giving a release date for the new Fusion. If they give out freebie coupons in the paper I will cash one in but other than that....
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

How about a battery powered turbo charger that sucks the skin off your face while the remaing 5 blades cut the whiskers and your skin as well. The deluxe model will plays dentist office music to comfort you while you shave.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I wonder if June 6th has any corrolation with the historical D Day invasion :?:

Alan
[Currently]
Gillette Futur
Super Iridium blade
Shaves so far 5
Omega Syntex brush
Williams soap with Polmolive Red cream
95%

Post by 95% »

Alan, the thirty-something marketing geniuses at Gillette never heard of D-Day.
Porter
Araner

Post by Araner »

Maybe on June 6th Gillette will be unveiling something truly revolutionary!

Perhaps a Fusion like razor handle with a built in Radio/MP3 player, Cell Phone and GPS navigation system. Just the thing to help get a guy through the morning shave.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

95% wrote:...I've never understood why they chose "Fusion." What is fused? They could just as well have called it "Fission."...
Fission is what makes the Foamy fizz out of the can.

Fusion refers to the blending of the technology required to make six blades precisely, or nearly so, aligned in a plastic molding, with the marketing BS to convince customers that it actually results in a better shave that is worth more money.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

95% wrote:Alan, the thirty-something marketing geniuses at Gillette never heard of D-Day.
So very true. A few of my DE and all of my SE Injectors I'm sure are older than most of the people at Gillette right now...... :wink:

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Perhaps I lack imagination but I just can't see how they can keep 'innovating' on the razor. They can't keep adding blades, it became ridiculous at three. How thin can the blades go? Different coatings, better lube strips? Making them more like an electric?
Richard
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Got the hard sell on these from AOS, where they have an "exclusive" (laughable term since they're Gillette-owned) on selling the new cartridges until June 6. The plastic piece below the blades is supposed to flatten the skin better in anticipation of the blades passing over, the blades have a better coating, and, well, you get the idea. Not much improvement, if any, but a nice price bump.

I don't doubt that there are those for whom the Fusion works. But acting like this is worth a multi-dollar increase in the price of a pack of cartridges is a joke.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I remeber older discussions where a number of members were convinced that whenever a new Gillette came out, the quality dropped noticeably on all other models, presumably as an "incentive" for holdouts to get with the program.

I bought stacks of Fusion blades at a pretty good discount when they were still "latest and greatest". However, I had no clue that they would become obsolete quite as soon as this.
95%

Post by 95% »

I'm keeping an open mind. The "classic" Fusion already serves me well, but if Gillette has tweaked the design so as to give me a 2 - 3% closer, more comfortable shave, I'll pay the premium and switch to the ProGlide. It's possible, however, that the tweaks will make it worse. The lubricating strip is larger, for example. If it exudes a sticky gel like the new Schick Hydro, the ProGlide will be a downgrade in my opinion.
Porter
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

The price increase is more than 2-3%.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
95%

Post by 95% »

The price increase is probably in the neighborhood of 15%. The new coating, however, may lengthen the life of the ProGlide cartridge. We'll see.
Porter
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Also, a price/quality relationship is not required to be linear to be acceptable.
crankymoose

Post by crankymoose »

it seems to me making the new "pro glide" blades thinner may in fact allow them to give a better shave when new as they could be smoother or sharper but by making them thinner it would seem they would wear out much faster, which obviously is a win for gillette as users would have to replace them instead of say after 3 shaves after 2 or whatever uses one gets with them
Jim
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

notthesharpest wrote:Also, a price/quality relationship is not required to be linear to be acceptable.
True, but if one were, for instance, graphing price and quality together, at some point the divergence of the two lines must become too significant to be acceptable (assuming that cartridges work for you at all). That point is variable depending on one's wealth, willingness to waste, and personal taste, of course.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim