New Orleans...anyplace I have to go?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

New Orleans...anyplace I have to go?

Post by TRBeck »

I will be visiting N.O. soon as part of a church youth trip. I won't have a ton of time for shopping and sightseeing, but I may have an afternoon to hit a couple of spots. Bourbon Parfums is on my hit-list. Other than that, where else should I visit? I know about Aidan Gill, but I don't want overpriced Mach 3s. Are there other things worth seeing there (the site mentions a "full line of shaving tools and accessories" or something to that effect, implying that there are things they don't list online available in-shop)? The Magazine Street Barber Shopsounds intriguing, too. Anywhere else worth checking out?

Thanks.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
levente

Post by levente »

Tim,

If you are going to Bourbon Parfums, make sure you go to Hove Parfumeur, which is up the street. Give Habanera, Vetivert and Spanish Moss a try.

Regards,
Basil
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Cafe du Monde. Coffee and doughnuts. Chicory with beignets.

Find some local packaged foods at a Schegmann's, such as Community Coffee.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, I entirely agree regarding the lame M3 shave offering at Aidan Gill, however, I believe that they carry a fairly impressive collection of shave soaps, creams, colognes, etc. so it might be worth a visit anyway. I'd certainly check them out if I was ever in New Orleans.
Regards,
Gordon
Janus

Post by Janus »

Tim, did you check out the photos? That Mag st. place seems to be offering Mach3 shaves just like Aidan Gill you mentioned. The interior looks "traditional" enough but may well be newly designed for all we know. Still, there's always a chance it's more than just a tourist attraction. Only one way to find out, unless someone here is better informed.
Janus
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Near Cafe Dumond, the Farmer's Market. Chance to try a ton of hot sauce. They used to have Popcorn that you could dip into it, and that was a lot of fun, seeing if you could burn your tongue off. Also, I love Aunt Sally's Pralines, oh wow.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Yeah, I'll hit some of the food hot spots, no doubt.

Janus, the Magazine St. place does offer the Mach 3 shave, but I'd be going there for the Harris toiletries, many of which I've not seen/sniffed in person, and for the other soaps and creams they keep on hand. Ditto Aidan Gill. I just didn't know if Aidan Gill had more than the handful of products they list on their website, which include the overpriced Mach 3. I won't get a shave either place, but if they have high-quality toiletries beyond ivory Gillette handles, well, they're worth checking out.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Basil, thanks for the tip on Hove Parfumeur. Sounds very promising indeed.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, Yeah, they do...at least that's what I've heard. Aidan Gill used to stock Coate's and I think they have D R Harris's and probably Trumpers.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Tim, take the kids to the Aquarium and next door is the multi storied shopping mall that houses Brooks Bros and Saks. Brooks has their house colognes and Saks carries almost the full Creed line.

The flood didn't hit the Quarter but it put the small restaurants out of business because it destroyed their customer base. They are now owned by corporations like Disney who hire managers who don't know how to cook. Last time I was there we fired three places in a row because they used a commercial base for their roux.

So get your food recommendations from a local who works at the hotel or a cab driver.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Squire, if that is true about new corporate ownership, that really in my opinion destroys the French Quarter. Antoines, Commander's, the family tie-ins for years and years made the places special. I see that some chains do well because of the consistency from place to place (say, the thousand island dressing tastes the same in Peoria as it does in Chicago) but I like quirkiness.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Squire wrote:Last time I was there we fired three places in a row because they used a commercial base for their roux.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Okay, cab driver it is. Truthfully, much of our time there has already been planned, but I will have a couple of hours on three afternoons when I may be able to pop in somewhere, as long as it's in the Quarter or near the convention center. Probably won't be much fine dining on this trip...

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Tim, who says beignets and a po' boy ain't fine dining?
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Oysters on the half shell at Acme Oyster House

www.acmeoyster.com/

Regards,
Stan
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Tim, who says beignets and a po' boy ain't fine dining?
Quoted for truth.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Unfortunately true Sam and quite disappointing. The big dogs like Commanders are still rocking and family owned. It's the small mom and pop outfits that were taken over and they were the charm of the Quarter.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris, the po boys were great and available on every corner in places where dad cooked and mom ran the register, those were the ones taken over. The po boys now are the same as what you would get in Peoria. Not bad, good actually, just not exceptional like they used to be when each family had their own recipes honed over generations.
Regards,
Squire
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Well, Squire, that is truly sad. The local joints were the real heart of the city's food scene. Do you know if Camellia's is still a going concern?
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Is Mothers still there? What about the places over on Lake Ponchatrain, I think one was called Harrys?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Stan, I was introduced to the Acme Oyster House by my Father about 50 years ago. Was a great place then, much like the web site portrays. It used to be the first place we hit when visiting New Orleans but not anymore. Its now a sort of Applebee's with an old name.
Regards,
Squire