First Barbershop Shave

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
PACHUCO

First Barbershop Shave

Post by PACHUCO »

Well I was driving home from the gym when I passed by a former skate shop now turned into a barbershop called "The Executive Room". I entered to inquire and felt right at home. The young mad has only been open for two weeks but wow has he done a number on the place and has given it a very old school/ rockabilly feel...right up my alley. I am true to my barber, but could not pass up a shave, for $24 bucks who could.

Now of course I live in CA. so he could only use a disposable straight. This guy knows his routine full towel treatment, two pass shave, bay rum aftershave. Now I get closer on my own, but nothing beats the experience of someone shaving you, while you stare at the ceiling fans twirling, hear the traffic outside, and all that good stuff. I 'll definetely be back again, and soon he'll be serving a free beer or soda with every shave or haircut.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention not one speck of the red stuff, and he plans to begin stocking Merkur razors. Once he gets his website going I'll post that info.

Serg
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Glad to hear you enjoyed the shave, Serg!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Serg,

That's probably one of the more encouraging barbershop shave reports we have seen.

Cheers!
Good shaving,

Gary
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Good to hear you had a positive experience. I'm too young to remember when barbershop shaves were a regular part of life, and most of the time you read horror stories from those gents brave enough to give it a shot where it can be found and end up disappointed.

I think the combination barbershop/salon down the road (well, let's call a spade a spade - it's a salon with a striped, revolving pole outside) would attempt a shave with a Shavette and machine-produced foam, but after the number that was done on my head the first time I got it shaved with a Mach 3, I'm a bit timid to ask for it.

All in all, glad you had a good experience! And do let us know what is provided on your next visit!
Regards,
Mike
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If somebody makes a mess shaving you with a Mach 3, don't ever get around to asking for the bare blade. :shock:
drumana

Re: First Barbershop Shave

Post by drumana »

PACHUCO wrote:Now I get closer on my own...
Serg
This is much better than a barber trying to get a super close BBS shave and tearing your face up... Congrats on the good experience!
-Andrew-
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Where in the Bay Area is this? What City?

Chris
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

fisherc wrote:Where in the Bay Area is this? What City?

Chris
Napa, on Main Street

Serg
Scott_C

Post by Scott_C »

Glad you enjoyed your first barbershop shave, especially for $24. That's a great price.

I agree that "nothing beats the experience" of a face shave and I have always said that some of my customers come in just for the experience and not just the shave itself. Done correctly, a face shave should be a relaxing peaceful experience and not a blood letting.

Happy you enjoyed it.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Scott, Oh there's no question but that it's primarily about the experiance and not just the shave per se. But I've gotten to the point where I'm only willing to pay serious change for the experiance that I want...not for what's convenient or whatever for them. Even setting aside bad barbershop shaves ( and God knows I've had enough of them too ), I'm just not willing to pay $25-$50 for LatherKing foam, disposible blades, and all that sort of thing. And to get the real deal; stropped traditional straight, a shave brush with quality lather, and a really experianced hand with the razor seems to be close to impossible in the US today. So, I've pretty much given up the quest unless I can get to Europe or elsewhere abroad.
Regards,
Gordon
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Serg,

Congratulations on successful shave! May you enjoy many more BSS shaves!

$24 indeed is great price. They usually range from $30-$50 IIRC.
Scott_C

Post by Scott_C »

Gordon, I cant blame anyone for not wanting to pay for a "Lather King foam disposable blade" shave. Thats not what it should be.

However, there are alot of states that have enacted so many restrictions for sanitation reasons that it has taken away from the so called "experience" of a truly old fashioned peaceful face shave. One state I know of now requires the use of gloves when doing a face shave and another state was even going to require barbers to wear those clear plastic face shields (that surgeons and dentists wear) but the legislation failed. I understand the need for sanitation and I am a freak about it but some of these rules I feel are going over the top.

In Illinois there are no rules or restrictions so far but Im sure they are not too far down the road.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Scott, Well, of course I am aware of some of these restrictions although they are often not as draconian as some barbers would have one believe. I've been told things that I knew for certain were not true in the state and municipality in question. But I'm beyond caring. If they 'can't', or often simply won't, provide what I want then I'm no longer interested and I'll save the money. The 'reasons' why a really traditional shave is not available no longer matter to me. It's simply a yes or no thing. If the answer is 'no', then I'm out the door. Apparently, according to one of our members, such is still available in New Mexico but that's not a place I'm likely to visit anytime soon unfortunately.
Regards,
Gordon
jilltm38

Post by jilltm38 »

Bernard I understand your feelings about shaves. I am a licensed barber in Wisconsin and barbers all over the state tell customers that it is illegal to straight razor shave with a real straight razor or a disposable straight razor. I called the barber/cosmetology board to find out if this information was accurate. The woman I spoke with said if you have the training and use proper safety and sanitation it can be done.
So with that being said I wondered why so many people wouldn't do it. Why they would turn customers away? Part of the reason might be wrong information. The other reason in this state they combined barbering and cosmetology and so the schools lack the training. And of course the last being that people are lazy! lol!
I've talked with at least one barber in another state, I believe it is Ohio, and other barbers were saying it was illegal to shave in Ohio and I said well you better check it out to make sure, and she said that it was legal to shave in Ohio. There is alot of wrong information floating around out there.
But of course finding the right barber, for that experience, will be a little bit harder because of that.
Scott I am pretty sure that Canada has the law where you have to wear gloves during a shave. Can you imagine? Yuck!
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

JILLTM38:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM...

Come often and Stay Long... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Scott_C

Post by Scott_C »

Welcome to the site Jill.

It's a great forum and it's always good to have another barbers viewpoint on face shaving. I hope you will enjoy it.

Welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hi Jill, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

jilltm38, Welcome! Indeed, it makes it much harder. I just got tired of arguing with these guys and often being lied to. It was obvious that they just didn't want to do it...or in many cases, as you say; couldn't and didn't want to admit that. And the few who seem to have realized that they can charge a hefty sum for a shave today seem to figure that very few possible patrons will refuse....or even clearly recognize the disposible blade model. I've had two local barbers in Tampa in the last ten years who WERE ready and able to do a real cutthroat razor shave ( and I would bring the brush and soap ), but in both cases the shop owner/boss vetoed the project. I just gave up pursuing it...the hell with them....unless I get a specific 'hard' lead here or somewhere else reliable. As I mentioned above, there is supposedly a newer shop in Elizabeth Street, NYC that does the real deal and next time I'm there I'll check. Again, welcome to SMF.
Regards,
Gordon
jilltm38

Post by jilltm38 »

Thanks guys :D Well maybe shaving will make a comeback in the future. Lots of other things have!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

jilltm38, Well, it sort of did, starting in the late '90s, and by now it is considerably easier to find some sort of 'barbershop shave' in many places than it was 10-15 years ago when I first began looking. But almost always the 'modernized', cheaped-out version unfortunately. And I've had about all of those that I'm interested in having. But yeah, perhaps the real thing will eventually make a come back too. That would certainly be nice.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.