Gramps

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
grampsdaughter

Gramps

Post by grampsdaughter »

I am writing this post to let you all know that my father "Gramps" passed away on Monday, July 12.

I know my Dad really enjoyed this site and the friendships he made here.

Dad passed peacefully with his family at his side.

Thank you for the joy this site gave him.

Sincerely,
Krista-Mae
"grampsdaughter"
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

sorry to hear this news...

i wish the best for you and your family at a time like this..

im sure everyone at smf feels the same..

thanks for letting us know,, he will be missed always...at smf and of course by all your family and friends

peace to all. and my prayers go out to you

marc
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. My father unexpectedly passed away in March - you will never get over it, but it will get better... God Bless.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know.

When I first joined smf gramps was one of the gents that went out of his way to help me feel at home and it was always nice to see his posts. Im really going to miss 'seeing' him around

sorry for your loss

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

A shame to lose a member, my condolences to friends and family. I enjoyed Gramps posts - a fine Canadian Badass indeed. RIP good sir.

Mods - could you please make this memorial thread 'sticky'?
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

jtpca wrote:A shame to lose a member, my condolences to friends and family. I enjoyed Gramps posts - a fine Canadian Badass indeed. RIP good sir.

Mods - could you please make this memorial thread 'sticky'?
A great loss to all of the SMF community. My deepest condolences to the family.

We Mods have been discussing a permanent memorial to Gramps. It will be in the form of a sticky.

I think it would be nice if you "older" members could write an anecdote about Gramps. I know his daughter and family will appreciate your thoughts.

Again, my deepest condolences. Gramps was a true gentleman of the highest order. May he rest in peace.

Bill
Don't think......shave.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Trumperman wrote:I think it would be nice if you "older" members could write an anecdote about Gramps. I know his daughter and family will appreciate your thoughts.
I think one important thing to include would be Gramps's own telling of the day in camp when he shaved with his knife. No need for any of us to tell it because he said it best.

Of course this is only one little thing, but it was Gramps's "15 minutes of fame" on this little board for sure.
Gramps wrote:I thought I'd tell you a story.

Ten years ago (eleven?) I was at the deer-hunting camp.

An arguement started among some of the guys about how to sharpen knives... and the best methods/stones/leather to use and of course, who had the sharpest implements in the camp.
It became a pretty loud (more to do with booze and testosterone I think) exchange and I did my best to stay out of it. You see, I KNOW my knives are sharp and had nothing to prove. (I also am a Karate and Jiu Jitsu instructor and am not real intersested in a fight with drunk hunters!)

Well I went quietly into my trailer and came out with my stainless steel shaving bowl, soap, towel and a small pot of water to heat up on the BBQ.
A couple noticed, but the crowd went silent when I started to lather up. It is supposed to be tradition to not shave at the camp... pooh with tradition LOL.
Then I pulled my Western Cutlery blade out of the sheath on my belt, back-stroked it twice on my boot and commenced shaving.

The arguement ended right there without me saying a word! They remained totally silent until I finished my shave. Everyone of them had to have a look at my face after and the only thing one said was, "Your neck looks a bit red" Hahaha
And the topic never came up again.... for the next 5-6 years... that's when I stopped hunting. But even now, a couple of the guys still get me to sharpen their knives before the hunt!

I know it's a story more about knife sharpening than shaving, but thought some of you might enjoy i

(Yes there was SOME irritation after that demonstration!)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Gramps was here fairly often when I started reading SMF, and I've been missing his contributions since he left.

Sincere condolences to his friends and family, and thanks to Krista-Mae for remembering this little group of his other friends.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I entirely concur with everyone's sympathies. Gramps has not been a regular poster since I joined, however I have enjoyed reading his older posts.

As Bill alluded, the Mods have been discussing a 'memorial' of sorts, and I can't think of anyone more deserving.

Rest in peace, Larry.

Gareth
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

This has been stickied for the time being due to the loss of my friend and fellow moderator Gramps, the Canadian Bad Ass.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. You'll be in my prayers tonight.

Rest in Peace, Gramps.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Krista-Mae,
Please know that we loved your father for the kind-hearted and generous man he was. From what I know of him, he would have borne his illness with courage and dignity. Everything he ever wrote to me about his family tells me that he loved you all and would have wanted to be with you till the end.
My condolences to you for your loss of a good man and a great Canadian. I hope you won't mind if we leave his name here as a moderator as a mark of respect.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

For you newer gents to the forum I submit Gramps avitar:

The original and irreplaceable "Canadian Badass"
Don't think......shave.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Please accept my sincere condolences, Krista-Mae. Your father was a regular poster when I started here, and his comments were always entertaining, enlightening, and educational. Larry was one cool gentleman.
--Bob--
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

To all (Krista-Mae, Family and Friends):

My condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to you all. He will be missed and remembered by all on SMF. He was one of the nicest curmudgeons anyone could ever know.

May the Peace of the Lord be with you.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks for letting us know Krista Mae. Your Dad was a man to remember who left an irreplaceable mark here. With the family's permission we would like to keep that memory by placing his name emeritus on the moderator list and preserving his posts for the benefit of new members.

Mizpah
Regards,
Squire
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

God bless Larry and his family.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Here is one of his earliest tales:
Gramps wrote:My great uncle was a 'freak' about men not having hair on their faces. He shaved 3 times each day!!! When he saw the 'fuzz' on my face he said, "I think it's time we cleaned up that face of yours!" and the lesson commenced.

I loved to watch him shave. He had a farm and I stayed there most summers and winters. He would rise at 04:30 and shave, then again at noon and before supper!. Now, he had a beard like I've not seen on anyone since. His whiskers were as thick as the lead in a pencil! There is no way he could have grown a 'bushy beard'..... when his Sheffield str8 hit each hair, the razor would make a 'tink' sound... amazing to hear and to watch. So, yes at age 10, I had my first shave, then about every 3 or 4 weeks...lol... until I was almost 12 and dad bought me my own Sheffield str8... my grandmother was born in Sheffield!!

- Larry
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Gramps was, and remains a fun and insightfull read. Electronic media are threatening and condemning to obscurity everything from PLAYBOY to the old Western Union telegrams while the very postal system is in trouble.
And yet what digital archival library will there be for all the gramps that they can be read years later like a discovered Robert W. Service volume?
giammi

Post by giammi »

My condolences to you and your family. I really enjoyed reading some of your fathers stories.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio