Mortar minus pestle = best lather ever

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Mortar minus pestle = best lather ever

Post by fallingwickets »

I was at the local cook shop and was attracted to a le crueset mortar and pestle http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=581877

I've been on the lookout for a new lathering bowl for a while now but nothing Ive brought home so far has been more than mediocre mainly i think because the insides are too smooth. Anyway, the mortar has a nice rough surface which really helps in the lathering process. Today's lather was the best i have ever made. If you gents have a few dollars to spare, I highly recommend making a purchase. Of course if you don't like it you could always use it for its original purpose, plus it comes in cool colours and looks good so at the very least your money wont be totally wasted.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I'm looking for a new bowl as well - this look like it might be good! Is it heavy?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Plus you can take up to 90 days to pay!!

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Ravi its a good weight......not heavy or light but it feels really solid when you hold it and as Stan mentioned in the '06 thread it heats really well.

clive
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Nice - can be had cheaper, and probably 90-95% as good, in other brands.

I bought one at IKEA. I don't use it for lathering, just for its intended purpose. The IKEA model I have is quite heavy, plain white, with an unfinished interior.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Would the rough surface of the mortar effect your shave brush in any negative way (ruin the tips or anything)?
-Andrew-
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

drumana wrote:Would the rough surface of the mortar effect your shave brush in any negative way (ruin the tips or anything)?
The linked thread above has a post claim this happened. Another post give the solution of sanding the inside of the mortar.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The person who sanded was using a marble mortar - don't know if ceramic ones would need it, or if they would stand sanding, or ...
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

did you use the pestle to whip up the lather haha

or have plans to glue in a brush ???

couldnt resist .........seriously i rather just use my dirtybird, but i can see the attraction to that and its fuction for a mug/bowl too

in good health ,,use it well my freind

marc
malocchio

me too !!

Post by malocchio »

I use a non smooth stone mortar also....the slight roughness in the stone really agitates up a nice lather...asian and latino stores usually carry them for very little money...
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Clive, nice. We've got a quite a bit of Le Creuset at home, and it's great stuff. I can't say I've ever thought to use any of it for shaving, however!

Gareth
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

has a post claim this happened. Another post give the solution of sanding the inside of the mortar.

:bull LOL

The mortar compared to my face after a day of not shaving is like comparing silk to glass shards! If a mortar damaged brushes imagine what the face latherers (new word for OED consideration) must be going through in terms of brush damage!!

phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww sometimes one just has to :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

anyway, try the mortar gents,,,,its da bomb!!! :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) :lol:

clive
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey clive, I went the mortar and pestle route a few years back, and, you're correct, it works, but I gave up on it due to the lack of a handle.
Regards,
Squire
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

fallingwickets wrote:The mortar compared to my face after a day of not shaving is like comparing silk to glass shards!
My whiskers, though perhaps tough, are not as hard as marble or ceramic. I honestly don't think your hair could be literally rock hard either.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Hi NTS

no my beard isnt rock hard but its a lot rougher than the ceramic and its the roughness that was brought up as a brush destroyer which I think is nonsense....BUT, I will let you guys know if i see any real damage to my brush

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Squire put your argument skills to good use by writing to le crueset detailing why the mortar should from herewith in be made with a handle :lol: :lol:

clive
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

it must be all this heat :D