Would like to know you

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
rideaduc

Would like to know you

Post by rideaduc »

Gents,
Great site and I'm reaaaal new to wet shaving (on my 5 shave). In any case I'm really getting in to this and was just trying to see what other people that share this bizarre addiction are like and see if they are like me or not.

I prefer fewer things but high quality (not necessarily expensive)
I like items that are old or last
I write exclusively with fountain pens
I am in to woodworking and use mainly high quality Japanese hand tools.
I ride a Ducati
I prefer one or two pairs of Johnson/Murphy shoes...rather then 10 no name brands
I have one watch...citizen
I carry a quality hand made pocket knife
My wallet goes in the front
I keep my cell in my pocket not on my belt
My garage is clean enough to park both our cars/the Ducati
Would rather make it then buy it...and make it to last
I wear cuff links

So post up what makes you you.
Whether success or failure if you live in the past you'll die in the past.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

rideaduc did i write that post..or did you haha
wow are we on the same page

except for the garage ..mine is a mess ..more of a storage shed

i had a honda 1100cc cruser not a ducati,,recently sold it though

i love fountain pens ...wet shaving..i have 2 seiko's and a citizen

love knives and collecting them..david boyes especialy and just got a ZT0350 CB limited edition

my shave gear is simple 2 razors 2 mugs (1 is a scuttle) 2 rooney brushes
and 2 soaps MWF AND TRUMPERS

i love woodworking and built my deck and bedrooom furniture and a piece for the kitchen etc etc

for me a couple pairs of dannner boots and a couple pairs of keens and im good to go

i love edc also

same mold i guess but im sure im moldier than you..im speaking of age

marc
ChemErik

Re: Would like to know you

Post by ChemErik »

I do prefer fewer items of quality.
I also like items made to last.
I do the majority of my writing with a fountain pen, but it's fairly new to me.
I do a little woodworking and would like to do more.
I don't own or ride a motorcycle, but if I did it would be an American bike.
My shoe preferences are Rockport for work, Columbia for hiking, and Saucony for running.
I carry a mid-grade mass production pocket knife. Good enough to last but nothing special.
Wallet in front for me also. That was the influence of SWMBO.
Cell phone location depends on the pants I'm wearing, but pocket 80%+.
Garage is organized, but has too much stuff. Mostly from or for home improvement projects. Only one car.
I don't have time to make everything, so try to balance making/buying, but want it all to last.
I don't wear cuff links, but as an engineer where 1/2 the office wears jeans to work it would be too much most days. Perhaps when I'm old enough to considered eccentric instead of just weird.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
rideaduc

Post by rideaduc »

if you're like any engineers I've met I wouldn't worry about being "weird"....lead with style my man.
Last edited by rideaduc on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

lousy Bill gates deux ex machina double post
Last edited by KAV on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

My watches are a vintage Bulova mechanical and Soviet navy gifted chronograph.
I use a fountain pen, do not own a cellphone due to poverty and a extreme dislike for the vulgar culture they have created.
My present vehicle is a 2003 Toyota. I utterly despise commuting, see above. I love train travel and vintage aircraft.
My first DRIVING cars were a MGA coupe, the lone surviving Austin Mini Cooper S 1100 and a sleeper 66 Chrysler 300 with a slightly built 383 to tow my other discoveries; a Jowet Jupiter and pair of Pegasos.
I have 3 pair of Allen Edmond dress shoes;wish they were a better make, happy I don't have swooshes on my feet.
I am painfully and slowly rebuilding my wardrobe- Think Agatha Christie circa 1938 without spectators. I have 12 custom ties from more affluent days, 6 pair of chain linked cufflinks and a few collectable togglebacks I find as investments. I'm down to one french cuff dress shirt :oops: My wallets are a kangaroo leather, breast pocket travel version and coach billfold. They usually hold maybe $4 dollars between them and my good luck french franc with Exupery on it :lol:
I have a simple SAK military ALOX in my pocket. My knives and firearms went for rent. Someday I would like an elegant laguiole for cutting cheese,decorking wine and slitting my enemy's throats.
My favourite author( among many favourites) is Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
Wind,Sand and Stars tells a story that reminds me of of this forum. A plane was forced down in the desert and the others landed to help. They formed a rough defensive circle with small sidearms and a fire against roving bandits. Ex told how men who had worked together,yet apart formed a microcosm of how society should work, Talking in the night while watching for camel riders.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I'm game - here goes.

I'm not impressed with people who try too hard to impress.
I like being patient - it's always paid off for me, but have little patience for people who lack patience. :wink:
I wore cuff links long before it was cool to wear cuff links.
I like to wear a suit or blazer and a tie to the office.
I don't believe that there is room for foul language in public - no matter what the situation.
I derive great pleasure from being at home with my family and don't like crowds or large gatherings.
I like the feel of quality products.
I shoot with an Olympus DSLR because I like their products -- and I like to be different. :wink:
Two watches - one Citizen for dress and casual and a Polar heart rate monitor for exercise/activity.
I am devoutly religious.
Don't carry a wallet - just a card holder.
I don't carry cash -- only change in the car for parking - everything else by debit or Amex.
I like Camelbak products
Besides shaving - I am a recreational cyclist, and nordic walker
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

For what it's worth:

I am a graduate student at the local university, studying the British empire, and think academia is due for a total overhaul.
I drive a car given to me through the incredible graces of benefactor whose generosity and inspiration I will never be able to repay. This has given me the ability to truly enjoy the feeling of rolling down the road on the wheels of love, kindness, and altruism.
I am unabashedly Roman Catholic with a deep distate for those who give the faith a bad name. I try to live my life my recalling that all saints have a past, and all sinners have a future.
I can't afford to travel the world in a bottle, but I do love wine (and gin, and bourbon, and scotch, and beer) and the chance it affords me to think about life.
I have a deep love for the game of golf, because although I am absolutely no good at it, the course and the game teach the player countless lessons about life.
My shaving technique is still improving, but, like golf, I love the lessons on life that the simple tools of blade, brush, and soap teach.
I have a deep desire to fulfill my father's wish of happiness and success in life, and know I can do so through his work ethic and willingness to put my nose to the grindstone and get my hands dirty.
As much as I value my own experiences, I know there is much to learn from men far wiser than myself, and SMF gives me the chance to glean some of the information all men require in order to grow.
Regards,
Mike
rideaduc

Post by rideaduc »

those are awesome replies guys...thanks for sharing...it's a pleasure to know you. There...we are strangers no more!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

maskaggs wrote:For what it's worth:
I have a deep love for the game of golf, because although I am absolutely no good at it, the course and the game teach the player countless lessons about life....
+1 - you took the words right out of my mouth -- I wish I had remembered to mention this myself. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

and many of love tilley hats too........
rideaduc

Post by rideaduc »

marsos52 wrote:and many of love tilley hats too........
Oh yes...how could I forget my beloved Tilley hat?

I also carry a silver dollar that was my Grandfathers and was carried through WWII...it is now rubbed down so that the eagle is barely noticable.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I like the simple things-but they must be of excellent quality, built to last, and proud to own.
The cheapest is not usually the best buy. Just because you use it a few times, it breaks or is worn out?
I do not like cell phones. I carry one at work because I have to. On my days off, it stays at home sometimes much to the displeasure of SWMBO. Half the time, I forget to charge the damn thing.
A lot of my fishing gear is old school and still performs admirably. Most of the reels I own they don’t even make any longer. My fishing acquaintances refer to me as “old school” because they jumped on the high tech latest widget to come down the pike. Yet, they all tell me if I ever want to sell my gear to let them know.
In 1987 I bought a new Toyota 4WD pick up. It was a 4 manual speed because the SR5 hadn’t come out yet. I used the truck, for gee, only 15 years.
I’m not much into fashion, but I still believe that if you own a pair of leather dress shoes, regardless of make, they should be shined by YOU. If you're going to a place or a certain function you should dress for the occasion, not show looking like a bum with a 3 day beard growth just because it looks "cool".
I own a large variety of mechanic’s hand and power tools, because for 23 years I did that for a living. Most of the tools are Snap On. Also own a lot of hand digging implements; shovels, rakes, forks, post hole digger, etc. Most are old and all are made in the USA. My wheel barrow is a Jackson with the flat free tire and it will last me the rest of my life.
I have several firearms and all but one is a Winchester (the real Winchester) or a Ruger (pre warning).
My hunting/fishing buddies are pretty much one in the same. They have all the synthetic stocks, weird looking gizmos on their barrels, and military looking add ons. They’re all chomping at the bit if I ever decide to sell my guns.
I think you get the idea. I have nothing against modern technology because it can be a great assest.
I might be a dinosaur in some respects but I still believe sometimes old school is the best way to go.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
KAV

Post by KAV »

Is there a lietmotif here? I briefly broke from this distraction to the TEEVEE.
I get a 'ARTS' station that plays music,dance, classic film. Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS came on with the nightmare scene of slaves working to keep the various valves correct with plumes of steam as the protagonist, an innocent buddha like character watched in horror.
1926 and so much is still horror. There is a deliberation and measured pace in the many activities and items we list.
Thus we refute the machine!
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Well, my approach to shaving gear is well known on this list. One huge Plisson, one miniature Merkur, never more than ten blades and a couple of pucks of GFT sandalwood in stock. That's it. Otherwise...

Leica film cameras, M6s and an old M3,
IWC Mark XV on a strap,
Pocket folder by Wally Watts with ivory scales,
Vintage '53 black Western Electric rotary dial wall phone in the kitchen,
Two pair of cordovan Alden loafers older than many members of this list,
An ancient and oft repaired and rewaxed Barbour jacket,
Felt fedoras made for me by Gary White in Buffalo,
26 copies of the Merriam Webster New International Dictionary: Second Edition,
2002 Jetta stick shift,
Our house is a colonial...really...built in 1750,
Trained as a hand bookbinder and wet ink cartographer.
Married to a classic wife, a woman of science and substance.

Buzz
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I don't like to be labeled (Once people think they have me figured out, I throw 'em a curve :D )
I am just as comfortable wearing a fedora as I am a cowboy hat.
I am just as comfortable wearing wingtips as I am cowboy boots.
I LOVE cufflinks (especially vintage ones).
I love being a minister, but I don't shove my beliefs down people's throats.
I enjoy rodeo.
I like the shooting sports.
I carry a Ruger P95.
I love my wife (really :lol: )
My favorite watch is a 1950s Gotham AquaKing.
I collect cufflinks, Zippos, pipes, razors.
I am a Rodeo Chaplain and my son is a Bull Rider.
I love old movies (they are simply the best).
I love John Wayne, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart...
Con'td from previous...I love Lana Turner, Katherine Hepburn, Lucille Ball, and of course Grace Kelly.

Now that is who I am.
Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
KAV

Post by KAV »

Mike,

I hope you have combined british history and your faith in reading that most unappreciated writer G.K. Chesterton.

To all the cufflink collectors: I have a NIB toggleback and tieclip set by the late Gret Barkin of New Hope Pennsylvania. You can see her stuff on eBAY, collectable but modest in price. She worked almost exclusively in copper and links are comparatively rare. Trades or I need some $ to donate to SMF :oops: Or you can do it in my name?
soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

I just wanted to say welcome.
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
http:www.gingersgarden.com
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Chaps wrote:I love old movies (they are simply the best).
Con'td from previous...I love Lana Turner, Katherine Hepburn, Lucille Ball, and of course Grace Kelly.

Now that is who I am.
Danny
Good for you, Chaps!..... =D> I forgot about those and I'm glad that you brought it up, but don't forget Ava Gardner and Clark Gable!.... :D

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

desertbadger wrote:
Chaps wrote:I love old movies (they are simply the best).

Now that is who I am.
Danny
Good for you, Chaps!..... =D> I forgot about those and I'm glad that you brought it up, but don't forget Ava Gardner and Clark Gable!.... :D

Regards,
David
David, ah, yes, Ava and Clark...you are so right. Wish they were all here with us.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"