The joy of passing it on

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
stagger

The joy of passing it on

Post by stagger »

My son is 14 years old and a few months ago he asked to have his first shave. He was starting to look a bit scraggly so I set him up with some "tools of the trade"....Badger brush, Ball end Tech, and a supply of blades and soap. He really enjoys using these items as well as his great, great grandfather's shaving mug. I enjoy watching him shave and it has become something that we both look forward to. So, my question is, " Does anyone else on here find joy in sharing traditional wet shaving with their sons or daughters, or am I just...umm....different?
Regards,
Mark -
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

I had the pleasure of getting my nephew started a couple of weeks ago. I'd shaved him with a straight the week before after giving him a haircut and he enjoyed it immensely. Pointing out that he lives 600 miles away and that I couldn't do it for him every week, I suggested he might want to learn to shave with a DE. A quick tutorial and he was off and running. A satisfying experience for both of us.

Regards,

Les
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Mark, you should be proud of the fact you got your son started with his "right of passage" and in the right direction. I know I felt the same way when I taught my son to shave, although it was a long time ago.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: The joy of passing it on

Post by drmoss_ca »

stagger wrote:So, my question is, " Does anyone else on here find joy in sharing traditional wet shaving with their sons or daughters, or am I just...umm....different?
If you can share traditional wet shaving with your daughter, I suspect it is the daughter who is 'different'! :shock:
Otherwise I quite agree, passing on arcane knowledge is far more fun than the basic stuff.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

edit
Last edited by offshoot on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

My son doesn't know any other way to lather up except for his Chubby 3 and a bowl for his Taylor's. I also have in reserve for him a #20 Plisson HMW set in plexiglass that I bought NOS when they went out of production...I will probably give him that brush when he matriculates to college in a couple of years.

Buzz
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

I don't have any kids but I'm enjoying this vicariously.
Tom
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

My son is a little young (8-years old). However, he already pays close attention when he can see me shave in the mornings.

I am already thinking of how I plan to get him started in a few years.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

My son is 13, and just sprouting fuzz on his upper lip - he has a couple of friends who are already shaving, so now he too has an interest. I found a nice little kit from the English Shaving Co. for "Young/New Shavers" - comes with a Mach 3 razor with faux horn handle and matching Pure Badger shaving brush, sample shaving cream and aftershave lotion - I showed it to him and surprisingly he was thrilled - so I look forward to next year and the process of passing the learnings forward (who knows he might feel more comfortable with the concept of using a DE by then as well... in the meantime - baby steps!)

PS - since I showed him the above he makes less fun of me being a member of a shaving forum! Ha!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mark, Well, my two sons ( now 21 and 19 ) were only willing to go so far with it. The younger one uses the AoS Fine Badger brush I gave him and English shave creams that so far I've had to keep him supplied with...sigh. He balked at the DEs though and instead, uses the disposible single blade Bics. The older one has largely given up shaving as far as I can tell. He must tidy it up occasionally but I'm not sure what he uses to do it at this point. Probably a Bic.
Regards,
Gordon
mike

Post by mike »

The closest I've come to passing it down was when my daughter forgot her shaving cream so I let her use some of my T&H Almond cream!
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

it took i son almost 30 years till he finally tried de shaving and now he is sorry he didnt make the switch sooner

i did have the pleasure of buying his first set of gear for him..
now my 18 year old is starting to show the signs of interest

at least i have a christmas/hanuka girt idea for him..

shhhhhhhhh dont tell him

marc
jbc

Post by jbc »

Mine is five so it will be a while for him before he needs to do the job. However, I have heard several stories like the one that you told and let me tell you its not out of the ordinary at all.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
stagger

Re: The joy of passing it on

Post by stagger »

drmoss_ca wrote:
stagger wrote:So, my question is, " Does anyone else on here find joy in sharing traditional wet shaving with their sons or daughters, or am I just...umm....different?
Chris- I was also talking to any female members who might be teaching their daughter about LEG shaving :roll:
Regards,
Mark -
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I don't have kids, but I enjoy reading about this, too.

A couple of years ago, a 15-year-old boy in England replied a little too late for an offer of a free brush. I sent him a PM and asked him what he had so far. He replied, "Absolutely nothing!" I got his address and sent him an entire kit, Express Mail, to England! I was as anxious for him to get it as he was, and he was thrilled when it arrived.

Here is a thread by an SMF member who started his son even younger:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... ht=#266107

Scroll up to the top of the page.

- Murray
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hiya,

My son started using a brush about three years ago, and the various soaps/creams have become a regular part of his shaving set up. He's used fatboys and Aristocrats on occasion, but still prefers a Sensor with a nice custom handle for most days.

Last Christmas I bought my daughter a super adjustable and some TOBS Rose SC. She tried a number of blades before settling on the Crystal, and uses that set up now instead of cartridges for leg shaving. It was strange, but she caught on to the technique in almost no time.

Martin