old fart checks in

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
changabang

old fart checks in

Post by changabang »

Getting a little long in the tooth, but never too old to enjoy the company of "extraordinary gentlemen". Of the three major shaving forums, this has got to be the best.

I've always wet shaved, having bought my first razor, a Schick M2, in the mid sixties while at university. I seem to remember experimenting with my father's Gillette adjustable before that.

But there was an interminable stretch, it seems, when I used the cartridges and goo approach, and only relatively recently have I rediscovered, thanks to these forums, the DE razor and accessories.

No one warned me about the ADs. The whole point was to save money, right? I've got a feeling it's going to take a Herculenean effort to extract myself from the buying disease.

Anyway, thanks, Gentlemen. I think. :lol:
James Nicks
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I'm afraid we're not going to help your AD... ...umm Snots! But welcome... I'm going to move your introduction over to the General Forum!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Hello and welcome, Snots or Old Fart or whatever other excretions you may wish to be known by. :lol:

The various buying diseases can take some determination to overcome, but really if you don't want to catch them you won't. There are so many shiny or nice-smelling or potentially-useful things a person COULD buy, it really would be endless (and cost an endless amount of money) if one didn't just decide to stop at some point. Even among those who buy a lot of stuff, I sincerely hope that not many of them get into real trouble. With shaving gear, you really CAN stop whenever you want to.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Welcome aboard Snots, glad that you found us!
Good shaving,

Gary
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Snots!
Regards,
Andy
changabang

Post by changabang »

Thanks, Gentlemen.

NTS: I seem to remember TBoner posting not long ago about an "endgame".
I think I'm about there. :P
James Nicks
brothers

Post by brothers »

Don't join up and then in just 3 posts start talking about your endgame, Percy. It's all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth in between that keep us all on the edge of our seats, wondering if you're going to be the one who finally stumbles onto the holy grail of shaving.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
changabang

Post by changabang »

Bro, I'm afraid to ask just what IS the Holy Grail of shaving!

If I get in any deeper, I'm going to have to come out of retirement!
James Nicks
changabang

Post by changabang »

Oh, Gary, forgot to add, I've been lurking a LOOOONG time, and in that time I've bought a couple dozen razors, and at least a dozen each of soaps, creams, brushes, and whatever-the-heck-else-have-you. :oops:
James Nicks
brothers

Post by brothers »

Percy Snodgrass wrote:Bro, I'm afraid to ask just what IS the Holy Grail of shaving!
We're all wondering the same thing. I was hoping you might know! Evidently it's just the previous version of whatever was the most recently discontinued or reformulated product.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

gary, new avatar is cool

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

notthesharpest wrote:
With shaving gear, you really CAN stop whenever you want to.
That is exactly right.

Martin

Oh........what if the person doesn't want to stop? I personally know someone like this, and it's tragic to see. Looks like some odd Acquisition Disorder....pretty crazy. How can someone like that decide not to want to keep buying more of that goofy stuff?

Heh, I'm just having a little fun is all, because I have NO clue when I'm gonna want to stop buying shaving crap.

Oh yeah, welcome to Snots. That's a name that'll stick pretty well.
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Percy Snodgrass wrote:Oh, Gary, forgot to add, I've been lurking a LOOOONG time, and in that time I've bought a couple dozen razors, and at least a dozen each of soaps, creams, brushes, and whatever-the-heck-else-have-you. :oops:
Hiya,

Oh good, an experienced hard core lurker. I'm glad you finally decided to post something, and look forward to hearing what's on your mind.

Since you just officially joined, you probably received the special codes for the many secret forums here. Plus, remember that each Thursday is Euchre night.

Big doins,

Martin
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Percy Snodgrass wrote:Oh, Gary, forgot to add, I've been lurking a LOOOONG time, and in that time I've bought a couple dozen razors, and at least a dozen each of soaps, creams, brushes, and whatever-the-heck-else-have-you. :oops:
Soon you'll be wanting to buy Tilley Hats, fountain pens and vintage watches all of which are necessary add-ons to wet shaving. :twisted:
changabang

Post by changabang »

Crikey. What the hell have I gotten into? Secret codes?
James Nicks
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

My first grade teacher was called Mrs. Snodgrass.............
Welcome to the forum Percy. :D
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Percy Snodgrass wrote:Crikey. What the hell have I gotten into? Secret codes?

:wink:
changabang

Post by changabang »

I can't remember: are those the numbers from "Lost"?

And please, Nitrox, I detest "Percy". Call me Snots. :D
James Nicks
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Welcome to our little humble men's athletic club. Glad you're here to toss the old medicine ball around with a bit.

Best,
Fitch