Oy Vey

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Oy Vey

Post by M6Classic »

http://www.twinluxe.com/shop/shave/inst ... /index.php

Anybody else seen this? I don't want to hear any more kvetching and carping about the price of big Plissons.

Buzz
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

now there a set to jump on...

geezzzzzzzzzzzzz
marc
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Even the chrome version is $788!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

It's not even a two band.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Righto! No more bad noise about the price of big Plissons....not after this nonsense....unreal!
Regards,
Gordon
drumana

Post by drumana »

You can get 14 or 15 Simpson brushes for that price. Who buys something like that?
-Andrew-
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I believe Messrs. Tusser and Barnum had salient observations on this point.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
paddy

Post by paddy »

You can get 14 or 15 Simpson brushes for that price. Who buys something like that?
er, uh i have to confess that i have both the arctic and the anthracite sets. both look pretty nifty on the bathroom cabinet and for me a few months living on just baked beans is a small sacrifice.

kidding
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Oh, those guys are around....I've seen them; buckets of money and just looking for stuff to blow it on, but no time, or inclination, to actually find out what's what about any of it. I've told the story here before of standing by the cologne counter at Saks in Sarasota when this young guy walks up and says to the other sales gal, "what's the most expensive one you've got?!" Note, no interest in the actual scent, or who made it , or nothing. She could have sold him absolutely anything, re-bottled Skin Bracer, whatever, just so long as it was the "most expensive". I saw a guy in the original AoS shop in NYC buy a $500 straight razor when he obviously hadn't the slightest clue how to use it, let alone maintain it. Didn't matter.
Regards,
Gordon
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Soon to be featured in the "Robb Report," no doubt. Their reader is the target audience, I suspect.

Steve
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My late Father's phrase was, 'more money than sense'.
Regards,
Squire
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Wow, they're not even attractive, at least to my eye.

They say the Anthracite set incorporates a PVD coating, but they don't say what it's coated with. PVD (physical vapor deposition) is a coating method, not a coating. I certainly wouldn't buy anything (espacially at that price) unless I knew what it was coated with.

I'm pretty sure these sets are aimed at those with more money than common sense, as my dad, like Squire's, would say.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Dad would pay what it cost but no more than what it was worth. He died wealthy with no debts.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Dad would pay what it cost but no more than what it was worth. He died wealthy with no debts.
Sage advice -- sound in any economy, and a sure way to actually become well off on any income. It's never about how much we make, but always about how much we spend.

Now -- about that new Plisson I have been contemplating ------- just kidding. ...jww :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

Whaat? :)
JohnnyO_Jr

Post by JohnnyO_Jr »

It seems like there's a review out on this TwinLuxe shaving set. Luxist.com luxury blog:

http://www.luxist.com/2010/09/24/luxist ... g-for-men/

Seems to be a positive review along with the TwinLuxe shaving cream.

The writer also says this TwinLuxe set is designed by the Rolls Phantom car designer. I guess that would explain the high price tag.
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Hey, free shipping in the US!
Rob
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

It says:
This high-tech material is typically used in demanding industrial and structural applications such as engine parts and ballistic armor
Right! Fine. So why make a damn shaving brush out of it, then?
The 'CHROME' Edition razor and brush are made in Germany reflecting unparalleled quality and attention to detail.
Note "reflecting", not "embodying" or "incorporating" or even, lord help us, "with".
Combining an aggressive masculine look with the unique matte texture of the PVD coating, this shave set radiates raw power.
Looks aggressive and masculine. But isn't. Just looks it. And radiates raw power to whom?

What on earth is the thought-process leading up to a decision to buy any of this wozzle, I wonder?

And how sad it's still got a Fusion blade on the end of it like, looking like a garish Rude Boy athletic show.[/quote]
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I like my power lightly toasted. :lol:
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

My father, the psychiatrist, would have had something to say about the person owning this... probably similar to what he said to me when I was 16 and wanted to get a motorcycle...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.