Andrew's Pharmacy

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Chap

Andrew's Pharmacy

Post by Chap »

I recently discovered this place while ambulating down Sloane Street, right next to Pickett.

I was quite surprised to find on my exit from unsuccessfully trying to buy gloves, several colossal sponges, nearly 2 foot across, caught my eye. Thus intrigued, I had a closer look, and saw they stock Rodger and Gallet, Simpsons, Trumpers and many other recognised marques. My favourite thing about the shop though, is it's minuscule size, the whole place is the size of a large broom cupboard, packed to the rafters with the sort of items one would expect to find in a shaving parlour of St James. The tiny size, along with the excellent selection of products lend it a charming feel.

I wouldn't say it was worth a special visit, but if you are in the area around Sloane Square, it is certainly a handy place to pick up supplies.

Has anyone else visited this place? I don't think I have seen it mentioned, which is a shame, as it is most charming.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chap, Thanks for the heads up ( if I EVER get to London...sigh ). It sounds like a Belgravia version of the late lamented Maitlands in the Piccadilly Arcade. I knew that Andrews existed because I've seen it on internet street maps of Sloane Street, but never heard from anyone who had been there. Because of it's location I always kind of figured it would be a interesting little shop. It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't a number of small, charming, old time shops like this around London still. I know that there are in New York. You normally only hear us talk about Pasteur's, Cambridges, etc., but in reality, there are a number of such small old timey pharmacies in Manhattan that rarely get mentioned; New London on 8th Ave., University down near Washington Square Park, several on upper Madison and Lexington Avenues for example. I imagine it's the same in London.
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

The Penhaligon's store on Madison Avenue in New York--now closed--wasn't much larger than a broom closet either.

Ken
Chap

Post by Chap »

Yes, I would not be surprised if in a few of the other affluent areas of London there a few Chemists like this.

Gordon, if you ever do get over here, there would be plenty of shops to keep the wife happy around there. Also, I'm sure many of the London members would you keep you well supplied with drinks!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chap, Oh, I've little doubt of either.....IF I can EVER get over there. I should have pushed harder in the late '90s when it would have been much more doable. You may be sure that if I ever do, there will be a BIG announcment here and one of you local fellows can meet our plane and wisk us away to all the 'right' places ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Gordon, my offer for dinner at Simpson's still stands.
Regards,
Jani