Which shave set would you get?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
JohnnyO_Jr

Which shave set would you get?

Post by JohnnyO_Jr »

If you had to pick one of the following 3 shave sets. If money were no concern, which one would you pick?

I normally use the Mach 3 blades, so I figure I might want to try the new Fusion 5 blades. Only problem with this is there aren't many "good looking" modern shave sets with Fusion blades. Many brands haven't upgraded to the Fusion blades yet.

Check out my going to be soon retired $350 Penhaligon's Mach 3 shave set: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44865

I told my dear wife that I was thinking about getting one of these 3 sets. She said she in fact did get me one of these three! She still won't tell me which set she bought me but I have a good feeling I think I know which one. I'll know in a couple more days when the box arrives in the mail.

Acqua Di Parma shave set - $600

Hommage shave set - $500

TwinLuxe shave set - $788

Of the 3 above, which one would you pick? And why? And please do not suggest any other shave set from another brand. That is not my question on hand.

My choice would be the TwinLuxe shave set because I think it's the most beautiful modern shave set I've ever seen. I have a good feeling this is the shave set my wife bought me, but I'm not 100%. If she got me the Hommage or Acqua di Parma, I'd be happy with either of them though.

One thing I am quite anal about is having a shave set where the brush hangs down so no moisture and mildew collect in the brush hair. And another thing is having the razor facing upward in the stand so excess water drains down away from the blades. So that's another reason why I prefer the TwinLuxe shave set amongst these 3 among other reasons.

How do my fellow SMF'ers feel?

- Johnny_O
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I would most definitely choose None Of The Above. I don't see the usefulness of a stand, and to me it's not attractive either. I put my brush on the shelf and my razor in the medicine cabinet. And because I didn't buy a set, I feel no qualms about the fact that my brush was quite expensive. :)
crankymoose

Post by crankymoose »

If I had to choose given your preference in a razor I would choose one of the sets from Art of Shaving, as the razors from the AOS sets while maybe not as flashy as those pictured above look to be more ergonomic and I especially like the horn or imitation horn handles also, I have an AOS brush which I suspect all are made by Vulfix and although overpriced it has stood the test of time quite well. The AOS sets are also much cheaper.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

notthesharpest wrote:I would most definitely choose None Of The Above. I don't see the usefulness of a stand, and to me it's not attractive either. I put my brush on the shelf and my razor in the medicine cabinet. And because I didn't buy a set, I feel no qualms about the fact that my brush was quite expensive. :)
+1

Sorry, but it is what it is.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
95%

Post by 95% »

I'd pick none of them for a specific reason. The first two don't come with Fusion handles, and the third features a handle for the now-superseded standard Fusion cartridge. It might work with a Fusion ProGlide cartridge, but then it might not. In any case, I doubt that any aftermaket handle will be as ergonomic as the factory one. The latter may not look as good as a gleaming chrome handle, but it has excellent grip and is perfectly balanced for the delicate hold that the Fusion requires.
Porter
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I too would choose none of the above, however since this is your thing and your wife has gone to some trouble in trying to replace your beloved Penhaligons set... I would go for the Twinluxe.

The Hommage has an uncomfortable looking thin handle on the razor, and I don't like the way the Acqua di Parma razor sticks out sideways... so it's door #3
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I too would choose none of the above, however since this is your thing and your wife has gone to some trouble in trying to replace your beloved Penhaligons set... I would go for the Twinluxe.

The Hommage has an uncomfortable looking thin handle on the razor, and I don't like the way the Acqua di Parma razor sticks out sideways... so it's door #3
what he said
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I am not certain just what you are getting at with your question. If my wife had gone to the trouble of ordering for me something I very much wanted, I would do nothing but express un-alloyed glee when it arrived, regardless of which model.

Buzz
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

M6Classic wrote:I am not certain just what you are getting at with your question. If my wife had gone to the trouble of ordering for me something I very much wanted, I would do nothing but express un-alloyed glee when it arrived, regardless of which model.
Agreed.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

As someone who still dabbles in this netherworld out of necessity, the two-blader looks the least uncomfortable.

However, for the bucks, a long sea voyage would be preferred.
Ron
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Johnny,

Don't take anything we say personal because we are a Bunch of Eccentric Preferential Wet Shaving Enthusiasts. "Preferential" being the key word. My vote is also none of the above. We like what we like. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Hmmm, this makes me think that we should also have a separate cartridge razor forum maybe. And maybe under the safety razor forum, so it is a bit hidden. It is after all about the wet shaving.

I personally would not want any kit for also to DE shaving. Them Christmas presents are just hard to find for us shavers and I would not expect to get any. Expect to hint straight out that I buy that brush razor etc myself if you don't give me :P
Jarmo
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Of the 3 I like the TwinLuxe as well for same reason, brush down, razor up. Looks good and is hopefully as solid as it looks.
Rob
function

Post by function »

I like the Twin Luxe. Of course like many others I would not get it, but my reason is that it does not come with a DE.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I like the ADP one, but I would never drop such coin on a set like that.

I vote for the ADP.
drumana

Post by drumana »

If I had to pick one of those it would be the AdP set, based purely on aesthetics.

I hope you enjoy whichever one you get for much longer than your Penhaligon's set lasted!
-Andrew-
Buford T. Justice

Post by Buford T. Justice »

Those Mach 3s keep going up and up, lol.
Date Format I Like For PROFILE > DATE FORMAT...
n/j/Y g:i:s A
Araner

Post by Araner »

^
The way that cartridge sits in the groove is a real non-starter for me. I can see that groove becoming a real magnet for whisker crud, soap scum, water mineral deposits, corrosion, yellow fever, creeping crud, soylent green, Agent Orange, swamp rat fever, rabies and other less enjoyable things.

Araner
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I would also choose none of the above, but only because my tastes run much more traditional than these.

I'd opt for something that looks more like this:

However, I wouldn't buy this particular set either because I don't use M3 razors anymore, and the brush looks really cheap. But, this general style is more to my liking than the more contemporary sets you've chosen. If only I could find a really nice high quality set with a DE that looks like this. Sigh.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

What others said :wink:
When I got back into wetshaving, my wife bought me for my birthday a Futur razor, a 30mm knot Shavemac, and a matching stand with my name engraved on it. I was quite happy with this except for the 30mm knot. I love the Futur very much though.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."