Terrible, terrible confession

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Terrible, terrible confession

Post by Bargepole »

For the last month I have been shaving with a Wilkinson (Schick in the USA) Hydra 5-bladed cartridge thing. I picked it up because I needed something to take in my carry-on bag.

Still on the same blade. Still getting first-rate smooth shaves. No drag like the Fusion in all its damnable incarnations. No harshness like the Mach 3. </ironics> Maybe it's the goop it leaches out. Maybe it's some fancy blade technology. </ironics> But I think it's pretty damned good. <metaphor> On the other hand I can't look my rhodium-plate Gillette 66 in the eye any more. </metaphor> (NB: A Gillette 66 doesn't have an eye.)

But the damned thing still looks <simile> like an athletic shoe </simile>. Have they learned nothing? Imagine a cartridge razor designed by Jonathan Ive...

Edit: nothing else in my rig has changed. Still using that Houbigant Fougère Royal soap, Plisson brush & Harris Pink after shave.
Last edited by Bargepole on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
druphus

Post by druphus »

I say the rest of the kit "makes up" for the razor transgression!
Regards,
Andy
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Lays hand on head 'You are forgiven. Go and sin no more.'
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

It's the result that counts.
Good shaving,

Gary
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Since you can no longer look your Gillette 66 in the eye, I'll gladly take it off your hands. :D
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

what is happening to our forum?????????

i will not say anything more

shame shame shame

marc
95%

Post by 95% »

I suspect that Michael's rendering of the name (Hydra instead of Hydro) was intentional. Hydra, one will recall, was the multi-headed serpent of antiquity. For every head that was cut off, two grew in its place. Think about that, multiblade bashers! Hydros and Fusions are invincible.

Actually it was the goop released from the cartridge head that turned me against the Hydro. It caused the blades at times to hydroplane across the whiskers instead of cutting them. But still it shaved rather well, though not as well for me as the Fusion ProGlide.
Porter
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

And every blade of legend a single double edge
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

In the good old days of the forum we would have drawn and quartered (using a Merkur Razor blade, they were one of the only available blades) a member for such atrocities. Nowadays it's all softly this and tolerance for differences that. I want back the SMF I remembered from 2005. Back when Simpson shaving brushes involved a great deal of mystique, procuring one involved having connections, and there were about three online vendors only one of which would ship to Canada via the underground railroad.
Richard
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Richard I don't miss the food fights.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I'm with Richard....I miss the SMF of 2005, and this is NOT acceptable, especially from a moderator! Dreadful! Michael, you need to pull yourself together, old boy. Even the few cartridge miscreants that we tolerate around here ( because they are really very decent chaps, and in other ways admirable ) were not amused by that Hydra/o thingy. And all that nasty goop, is that anyway to treat a superb, rare, and vintage shave soap, I ask you? You just need to STOP this foolishness right now!
With regret,
Gordon
KAV

Post by KAV »

I think Michael may claim severe social stress. A change in government that has enacted draconian cost saving measures, student rioters assaulting Charles and Camilla, the continued degradation of colognes most recently by wimps of windsor many of us also decry and ever more stringent laws against knives, crossbows and probably soon enough the blackthorn stick of Nanny Phin. A man can hardly sit down to a proper cuppa from what we read in another thread.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

gordon, i'm surprised you didn't realize that this is not only a confession by michael but a cry for help. he is reaching out to us. he is looking for a way back,,,
Last edited by gil3591 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
stagger

Post by stagger »

Why would somebody come onto a forum which appears to be all about "traditional shaving", ie...DE and Straight, and post some such nonsense as this? Looks like it should be on a modern throw away razor forum.
Regards,
Mark -
KAV

Post by KAV »

I have this paranormal warning when a friend is in trouble. I start hearing WISH YOU WERE HERE by Pink floyd not even THE BRADY BUNCH can dislodge. I will light a beeswax candle at vespers.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

rustyblade wrote:In the good old days of the forum we would have drawn and quartered (using a Merkur Razor blade, they were one of the only available blades) a member for such atrocities. Nowadays it's all softly this and tolerance for differences that. I want back the SMF I remembered from 2005. Back when Simpson shaving brushes involved a great deal of mystique, procuring one involved having connections, and there were about three online vendors only one of which would ship to Canada via the underground railroad.
Yeah, Richard, weren't those the famous Simpson shedders? Or did they not show up until 2006?

- Murray
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

95% wrote:I suspect that Michael's rendering of the name (Hydra instead of Hydro) was intentional. Hydra, one will recall, was the multi-headed serpent of antiquity. For every head that was cut off, two grew in its place. Think about that, multiblade bashers! Hydros and Fusions are invincible.

Actually it was the goop released from the cartridge head that turned me against the Hydro. It caused the blades at times to hydroplane across the whiskers instead of cutting them. But still it shaved rather well, though not as well for me as the Fusion ProGlide.
Excellent observation, Porter, and oh so apt!

Knowing Michael, that was no mere slip.

- Murray
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

stagger wrote:Why would somebody come onto a forum which appears to be all about "traditional shaving", ie...DE and Straight, and post some such nonsense as this? Looks like it should be on a modern throw away razor forum.
Mark, Michael/Bargepole is a highly regarded, much esteemed member of this forum whose knowledge of gentlemanly pursuits, fragrances, and the history of traditional wetshaving is impressive. I might add that, as an author based in Cambridge, his posts are subtly humorous and always very well written.

Though a bit surprised, myself, I think I can find it in my heart to forgive Michael for dabbling in the dark arts. Such slip-ups actually aid us to understand men on the outside.

- Murray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

NO! No forgiveness! No backsliding! The bastinado for him if he doesn't shape up pronto! Hydra heads?....bah!...twaddle!
Gordon
drumana

Post by drumana »

Meh... Whatever works for you, Michael. Doesn't bother me.

Although I'm a supporter of switching things up and experimenting, I have to say that I am surprised that you of all people went straight up Hydro on us. What's next, Gordon using a Fusion? Buzz trading in his trusty Plisson for a Tweezerman boar? Sheesh.
-Andrew-