"The Men's Salon" in TO - a pleasant surprise

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Rufus

"The Men's Salon" in TO - a pleasant surprise

Post by Rufus »

I was wandering through The Royal York Hotel in downtown Toronto last Wednesday when I came across "The Men's Salon". It touts itself as, "the oldest barber shop in Toronto, since 1929". It has recently moved from BCE Place to TRYH. What caught my eye in the first instance was the display of Kent brushes and other wet shaving parphenalia in the window. On further examination, however, I noticed that for $35 you can have an old-style hot lather shave with a straight razor, including a mask and head massage. I thought that the price was fairly reasonable given the location of the shop. The other services seemed pretty reasonably priced as well; for instance a haircut with neck shave (?) is $29, a head shave is $35, a beard trim is $15, a shampoo and styling is $30, a manicure is $28, etc. They appeared to carry a broad selection of Kent shaving brushes, combs and hair brushes as well as Kent shaving soap and cream. I also noticed many other wet shaving products from well-know makers, but Kent products seemed to be predominant. As I was running short of time, I didn't enquire as to price.

In case you're interested this is their website

http://www.themenssalon.com/

One day when I'm in downtown Toronto again and have more time I might stop by for a haircut or, heaven forbid, a "hot lather shave"; my father would turn over in his grave if i did the latter, as he was a stickler about shaving himself, himself.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I noticed it too last weekend, but it struck me as being a bit modern. I'll be back in May. I wonder what they would say if I took my own razor and asked them to use it?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

Well, I've always wanted to get a straight shave but was always scared about where to go. I was at True-fitt and Hill in Toronto last weekend and their main barber/shaver is a woman...Sorry but I'm not having a straight shave performed on me by someone that shaves their legs lol.

Hopefully these guys are good at it!!
brothers

Post by brothers »

You never know! She's obviously going to know what she's doing. If I were to find myself at T&H Toronto, and had the time and the means available to enjoy a straight razor shave, it'd be a fun thing to do, even if only just the one time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

What I'm only scared is that they'd go way to hard on my skin. I've got some in growns/razor bumps on a spot on my neck so I don't want to leave in an ambulance!
Julius_Rodman

Re:

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Sensitive_Skin wrote:What I'm only scared is that they'd go way to hard on my skin. I've got some in growns/razor bumps on a spot on my neck so I don't want to leave in an ambulance!

A coworker got a straight razor shave at Stark in Unionville on the weekend.

Not aware of too many places that would do this for a first time customer visit.
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: "The Men's Salon" in TO - a pleasant surprise

Post by jww »

I can't think of why I would pay someone to shampoo my hair for me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Don't ask me how I know this, but I do know it. Regarding the shampoo, That is indeed an odd concept. Let's say a customer shows up and wants to have his hair styled. The barber is willing, but after a few moments he or she concludes this clown's hair is so dirty and stinky, I'm going to have to shampoo it first.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

jww wrote:I can't think of why I would pay someone to shampoo my hair for me.
Most barbers I have frequented have mentioned they prefer to cut and "style" hair free of dressings,
pomades and tonics... when I think about it, it probably makes a bit of sense.
My local barber doesn't offer a shampoo but definitely wets the hair well and towel dries it before
he goes to work with his scissors.
To hijack this interesting thread a bit, one of the secondary disadvantages of being snowed out of
my nephew's Las Vegas wedding was that it cancelled my appointment for a str8 razor shave at the
AoS Shop at the Mandalay Bay. Two other gentlemen from the Wedding Party did get to go and both
raved about it. It was the first barbershop shave for both of them. I will get the full skinny when next
they visit the Cape in April.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I guess, since my barber has been my wife since we have been married (32+ years) but for a short stint in the mid 90s when I tried a stylist cos I could afford it, kind of. My wife is the only person I trust with my hair now ..... and come to think of it, it's always free of dressing when she cuts it, so I suppose that I get the idea now.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

jww wrote:I can't think of why I would pay someone to shampoo my hair for me.
I suppose some guys just like the hands on treatment.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I didn't mention it above, but the woman who's been cutting my hair for the past 6 years always shampoos first. I asked her why, and she said it makes it easier for her to deal with cutting and whatnot.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Doesn't hurt the tips either.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wendell, Because it feels good!

Chris, Try it and see. I'm not sure though that someone used to using a shavette or the like would necessarily have a fine hand with a real cutthroat razor. I've always said that if I ever got to Trumpers for a shave that I'd bring my own razor and now, it looks like, I really will be going in Oct. and I'm not so sure which way to go. I don't own any cutthroats, so that's out. A couple of barbers here ( both women, by the way ) use those Feather AC numbers and that's fine but I think at Trumpers it's still those dreadful Shavettes. I don't own an AC either. The only thing I can think of is maybe drag my Shick Injector along and insist that they use that.

Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Thanks for posting this link, but, the same old questions; do they use a brush to make the lather and do they use real cutthroat razors?....and if they don't, what exactly do they use? A couple of barbers here in Tampa now use those Feather Artist Club models which are leagues ahead of the usual Shavette/holder for a half a DE blade....personally I've had quite enough of shaves with those things.
Regards,
Gordon
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gordon, you have til October to decide if you will bring your Schick injector.
But evidently I missed something... why bring anything at all?? Why not just
let the barber at Trumper use his/her own razor??
For me a str8 razor shave from a barber is less about the closeness of the results
than about the experience of the hot towels, the pre-shave ritual and the totally
hedonistic experience of being catered to.
Maybe you can get to Hungerford and let Robert's staff shave you their way??
In any case, you'll get extra credit for a complete report on your UK experiences!
jr/John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

JR, Because, you see, at Trumpers one has only two choices. If you're not alert they will actually try and shave you with a M3 ( you didn't know this, apparently...it's appalling but true ). If you insist upon a 'straight razor shave', out will come one of those lame Shavette thingys...you know, with the broken in half DE blade inserted. A....no thank ye. I've had more than enough shaves done with those things. They're just not very good ( if you don't believe me, buy one and check it out ). There is too much unsupported blade just hanging out there and so, either you wind up with some razor burn, or, and this is the style at Trumpers, the barber just backs off and you wind up with a poor shave albeit without irritation. While I understand that the main reason to get a barbershop shave is the experience itself, still, It's a drag to spend $40 for a shave not even remotely as good as one can get oneself. Hence, the dilemma. In the past I just kind of assumed I'd have a well stropped straight to hand them but it hasn't worked out that way and I'm not about to buy one just for a one shot deal in London. There are kind of funky little Turkish owned shops there that use real straights I'm told but that kind of blows the whole 'heritage experience' thing ( sorry Michael ). Sooo....I dunno. I will continue to mull it over.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gordon I have a couple of straights I will gladly loan you for the purpose. A few thoughts occur though, do you really want to have a conversation with the security people of any of the airports through which you will be passing over why you are carrying such a dangerous implement all the way to London just so someone else can shave you, and, all this presupposes the Trumper barber you draw will know how to properly strop the thing.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gordon, you owe it to yourself to get the full treatment shave at as many of the old English houses as you can. If you don't, you'll always regret it. I'll never make my way to London, but if I can at least read your first hand description posted here at SMF, that'll be just fine with me. If it's going to bother you to have them use anything other than a real straight razor, then by all means that's what you should insist on, and any of us would gladly loan you one or more of ours to take along if that's the only way you can get it done to your satisfaction. I've got several you can choose from.
Gary

JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gordon... an M3??? Clearly, didn't know that and am embarrassed at my ignorance and disappointed
that a venerable institution would make that decision. And while my own recollections of barber
shaves is grounded in the total "experience," no doubt had I seen the barber approaching me with a
Schick Injector or a Gillette adjustable, my impression of that experience would have been diminished.
Now I can appreciate your dilemma. Good Luck whatever you decide!
jr/John