Saving more money ........

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Earl Gray

Saving more money ........

Post by Earl Gray »

Hi,just a quick heads up.I dont know how most of you guys measure how much shaving cream you use per shave but I was using a cooks measuring spoon and using a half teaspoon amount.This was more than enough for a three pass shave,so,I thought can I go less? Indeed I could,I now use a quarter teaspoon with still enough lather for a three passer.
So my TOBS avocado cream will now last me twice as long,result!(sorry Paul at Connaught Shaving :oops: )

Cheers,Richard
Less is more .............. more or less
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

And we want to save money because.....?

:wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, A...let me see if I've got this straight. You want to save money and yet you are hanging out HERE??.....well.....whatever....umm....

The business about how much shave cream to use, or is optimal, has too many variables to make any cut and dried statements about. The quality and nature of one's water and which shaving cream one is using are the big ones, but one's shave brush, lathering style and other factors can play in. For years I tended to use too little cream ( Trumpers, Coate's, etc. ). My water is not that great and I would use the oft then recommended 'almond sized dollup'....well, that wasn't enough, not with my water, for my style, and for what I wanted. I use a pretty substantial amount of cream per shave these days and am happier and more comfortably shaved as a result. Of course, I have quite a bit of high end shave cream lying around and that helps me to not feel TOO self indulgent.
Regards,
Gordon
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I agree with Gordon...no need to ration the cream. I think a tub of cream should last you four or maybe five shaves. Then, it is time to buy more! :P
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

LOL...literally.....very funny Phil thanks for laugh

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

that is a good one phil..

spoken like a true salesman
i like it

marc
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

BullGoose wrote:I agree with Gordon...no need to ration the cream. I think a tub of cream should last you four or maybe five shaves. Then, it is time to buy more! :P
Enabler alert!
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Phil is obviously eating his shaving cream again.... :lol:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
paddy

Post by paddy »

with creams it's always best to err on the side of caution and use more than you think. it's not like using a soap where you can easily revisit the puck for a few swirls to load 'er up. reloading a brush with cream halfway through a shave is a bit more fiddly.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
LookingGlass

Re: Saving more money ........

Post by LookingGlass »

Indeed I could,I now use a quarter teaspoon with still enough lather for a three passer.
So my TOBS avocado cream will now last me twice as long,result!

Cheers,Richard[/quote]

Richard,

You gotta relax and enjoy the wonderful world of DE/wet shaving. Please stop counting and measuring and just make the lather and shave. Believe me, a tub of TOBS will last a long, long time.

Ed
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'm with Phil and Gordon on this one. Why would one want to ration one's cream? It's a contradiction in terms. One must revel in the simple pleasures of life!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Less is more? Naw, more is better.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, yes. Although a strong advocate of the 'less is more' philosophy regarding men's grooming products, in this case, okay, "more is better" ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
alcx77

Re: Saving more money ........

Post by alcx77 »

Earl Gray wrote:Hi,just a quick heads up.I dont know how most of you guys measure how much shaving cream you use per shave but I was using a cooks measuring spoon and using a half teaspoon amount.This was more than enough for a three pass shave,so,I thought can I go less? Indeed I could,I now use a quarter teaspoon with still enough lather for a three passer.
So my TOBS avocado cream will now last me twice as long,result!(sorry Paul at Connaught Shaving :oops: )

Cheers,Richard
I have discovered that to really stretch a cream give your brush a couple of swirls on a puck of Williams Soap, then load your cream....be prepared for a pleasant surprise!

Alan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Squire wrote:Less is more? Naw, more is better.
If less is more, and more is better, then less must be better.
I don't think you meant to say that!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris I'm between work and a martini, don't confuse me.
Regards,
Squire
jbc

Post by jbc »

Your jaw will drop when I say this one, I have spent $0 on shaving products in the last four years \:D/ How did I manage this, five years ago I went a tad nuts bought up four or five pucks of soap and a Super Speed 40's model (that absolutely stunned me with its performance), and a 100 pack of blades. The soap takes me three years to go through one puck and six months to go through one blade (my beard is very light). Have not needed to spend a thing in four years, saving dollars, you might say that. Although I am thinking of picking up a puck of my favorite soap that ran out approximatly two years ago.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

half a finger size of cream is how to get some good lather..IMHO

ST
brothers

Post by brothers »

Many times, when using a cream that I really dig, you might hear me say "woops --- got a little bit too much that time!" :lol:

There's no such thing as too much of a good thing! I believe that bit of philosophy was originated by Squire in one of these threads a while back. True it is!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drumana

Post by drumana »

jbc wrote:Your jaw will drop... six months to go through one blade (my beard is very light)
Jaw = dropped. I believe, my friend, that you have no beard growth at all.
-Andrew-