TJ Maxx Score

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Craig_From_Cincy

TJ Maxx Score

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

The Mrs and I went into our local TJ Maxx today and I scored a few goodies.

-A Three pack of Caswell-Massey English Lavender Bath Soaps for $5.99

-Two huge cakes of triple milled soaps that are labeled as "Asquith & Somerset of England", but are made in Portugal. I suspected that they were actually Clause Porto soaps, but some research turned up that they are made by a respected 300 year old soap maker called Castelbel of Porto. I got one that's English Rose and another that's Lime-Cilantro. The soaps are huge, smell great, and are triple milled hard as a rock (you could brain someone with them). They were $3.99 each.

-Travel containers that I've been searching for use in my travel/gym shave kit. I found a pack that includes one that fits my small puck of T&H Shave Soap perfectly, another two that that fit a half bar of bath soap each, some smaller ones that fit several shaves worth of creams each, and a small shaker/container for talc. $3.99 for the lot.

-30 count package of Dickinsons Witch Hazel Towlettes for my travel/gym shave kit. $2.99

-A wonderful small ceramic lathering bowl for my upstairs bathroom (SWMBO reclaimed the soup mug that I had been using for some time). $4.99

There was also C-M Newport & almond bath soaps, C-M English Lavender Talc, and all sorts of great soaps to be had, but the Mrs ruled that I had scored enough for one day :evil: so I called it a day. But it was a good score nonetheless.
Last edited by Craig_From_Cincy on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Congrats. You should have seen the stuff that T J Maxx would occasionally have 10-12 years ago. One time they had 13 tubes of D R Harris's shave cream...I bought up 6 or 7 of them and some D R Harris's bath soaps as well. I also used to find Bronnley soaps and Floris colognes at times. They've not seemed to have stuff of this calibre for quite a few years now....but hope springs eternal...I still check on occasion.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

bernards66 wrote:Craig, Congrats. You should have seen the stuff that T J Maxx would occasionally have 10-12 years ago. One time they had 13 tubes of D R Harris's shave cream...I bought up 6 or 7 of them and some D R Harris's bath soaps as well. I also used to find Bronnley soaps and Floris colognes at times. They've not seemed to have stuff of this calibre for quite a few years now....but hope springs eternal...I still check on occasion.
Regards,
Gordon
Harris Shave Creams at TJ Maxx!!!! :shock: I can't imagine making a score like that. They did have some Bronnley soaps & talcs today, but they were scents that didn't interest me, so I passed.
Cheers,

Craig
function

Post by function »

I check TJ Maxx and Marshalls with some frequency and have never seen such a sight. Best I hae seen is some fancy-pants relabeled SC with good ingredients, an unknown label and a smell that I could do without.

Check again I will though.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Castelbel its one of the most ancient soap factories in Portugal and,right now,makes the shaving soaps for Antiga Barberia de Barrio,a new portuguese shaving company.
Great score,by the way!
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

What city was the TJM located in? In Eastern Washington State, there are never any finds at the local TJ. I have tried many times and the clerks look like I'm dreaming.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Craig_From_Cincy

Cincinnati. Ohio store.
Cheers,

Craig
Craig_From_Cincy

I popped into another TJ Maxx in the Cincinnati area today and saw some good things on their shelves; C-M Number Six, English Lavender, Almond, Jockey Club, Fresh Cut Flowers and several other of their 3-packs of soap. I also found more of the Portuguese soaps that I wrote about above; Bronnley, C-M & Taylor of London talcs; and Bronnley soaps. I didn't buy anything today, but they had some good selections there.
Cheers,

Craig
function

Post by function »

I also found the Number 6 and Almond bath soaps, but little else of appeal to my limited knowledge.
Nick

hexdump

Post by hexdump »

I just called one near my house in Houston and they seem to have quite a few.
At least it sounds like an expedition might be a good idea, so I am off. :D

And back from my adventure with a bag of goodies.
I got a nice bottle of Caswell Mssey Newport A/S for $16.00 plus some of their soaps, some Italian soaps, and Asquith Somerset soaps. They had quite a nice selection and I only bought what I could safely sneak past the dragon lady. :D
George aka Hex
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Actually went to the local TJMaxx today because of this post.

Unfortunately, I must have missed the boat. Couldn't find anything interesting.
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I've been doing the T J Maxx walk-through for ages and it's always a crap shoot. Stores in different areas get different stock and one just never knows. It used to be more fruitful, basically because I think there was more good stuff out there on the market that sometimes they would get a little of. It's been pretty lean for a number of years now. I'm told that the sister chain in the UK still gets a lot of really nice stuff but it's rare for any of it to find its way to the North American stores.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Nice haul George! Let us know how you like those Asquith & Somerset soaps, I really like them, despite their not being tallow based (or actually English for that matter).
Cheers,

Craig
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Took dog to groomer and Maxx was next door. Finally smelled Jockey Club and it was so so. They had almond soap, the wood grain sandalwood and number 6 soaps. Got me the No. 6. I may get the sandalwood but I have a small bar of the other one they sell and I think I prefer it.
Craig_From_Cincy

Sam wrote: ....I may get the sandalwood but I have a small bar of the other one they sell and I think I prefer it.
Is that the Tricorn that you're referring to Sam? If so, I too much prefer it to this newer sandalwood C-M scent (and soap)
Cheers,

Craig
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

No. The sandalwood I have is a lighter color, even a beige, and came in a box with a globe on it
jbc

Post by jbc »

Going to have to pay a visit to a local TJ Maxx.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Nice collection.

Regards,
Alan
drumana

Post by drumana »

I was just in TJ Maxx this morning and was surprised to find some Floris items - the Limes bath and body gel and some hand cream.
-Andrew-
function

Post by function »

I regularly find Pecksniff's items, but never for gents.
Nick