Laser to solve ingrowns on neck

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
ralph

Laser to solve ingrowns on neck

Post by ralph » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Hello,

I'm considering getting laser hair removal on my neck. I've been shaving for 10 years and DE shaving for the last 6. Ive tried a gilette superspeed and an old gilette adjustable. In the last two years I've been using a Merkur futur and most recently a Merkur progress. Ive tried israili, derby, personna, merkur 7 o clock yellow and feathers which I would also rate in that order.

I have been using a shavemac silvertip until recently I have a badger Muhle. I have tried various oils, cremes foams but usually green palmolive.
Trumpers skin food and heating face with a warm facecloth. I've a good technique always trying to slice stubble at 90 degrees, slightly stretching and always only 1 pass WTG and not shaving too close. My current setup - skin food, palmolive, progress and feather blades is the best I've used but my neck always ends up a disaster.

My hair is black, thick curly and steel wool like. All the hairs on my neck grow in all directions and parallel to the skin. I need a week to recover from every shave and longer if i shave more than once a week as I've to free out the ingrowns. (not as many as i used to get but still 10 - 20)

I'll post up some pics and hopefully someone has a remedy to a similar problem.

I've found out so much from this forum over the years just dont post much.

Cheers folks

ralph

Post by ralph » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Ive also tried Anthony Logistics ingrown treatment and Tend Skin - both increase redness(prod due to the alcohol)

ralph

Post by ralph » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:37 pm

[/img]

giammi

Post by giammi » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:53 pm

I would recommend a straight razor. Throughout the years I have discovered that if I want no irritations at all, then this is the tool to take.

Obviously it has to be sharp, really sharp.

One small trade off might be that with your hair going in all directions you might not achieve constantly a BBS with it.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio

drumana

Post by drumana » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:31 pm

Ralph - How many passes do you do when you shave? Do you go for BBS/super smooth/perfect shave? If so, I suggest doing just one or two passes instead. It looks like you are shaving too close. Could also be technique - it's easy to use too much pressure in the neck region. The skin is very thin and sensitive in that area.
-Andrew-

Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:37 pm

drumana wrote:Ralph - How many passes do you do when you shave? Do you go for BBS/super smooth/perfect shave? If so, I suggest doing just one or two passes instead. It looks like you are shaving too close. Could also be technique - it's easy to use too much pressure in the neck region. The skin is very thin and sensitive in that area.

+1
Cheers,

Craig

LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Ralph,

Many folks on SMF have found the Merker Progress to be an agressive razor even on the lowest settings. I tossed mine because it was a meat cleaver on setting 1.

If you are able to, I suggest you obtain a vintage Gillette Fatboy or Slim adjustable and go with a low setting..1 or 2. This will give a very mild razor/blade angle. Maybe go with a Derby or Personna Red blade.

I will send you some Derby and Personna blades if you like.

This is a great hobby/shave experience....would like to see it work for you.

V/R
Ed

SmallTank

Post by SmallTank » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:21 pm

I dont know if I would laser anything..but..I would suggest a str8 razor..I rotate DE/SR and always go back to the SR as more comfortable and smoother..they are much thicker blades compared to DE blades which will "flex" on your skin..except Gillette Blueue Extra blades which are good n stiff..though last option..try a Single Edge or Schick Injector..SR/Injector/Single Edge razors ALL have thicker blades which dont flex nearly like a regular DE blade...good luck!

ST

marsos52

Post by marsos52 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:26 pm

before i started de shaving back in the 1970's,,,,i had ingrowns ..real bad

i spent hours each week digging them out from the skin line using tweezers.. finally someone recommend a de razor and it worked and after some time ended my ingrown hair problems ...i go years between ever getting one now...

i was given a slant and a thick heavy lanolin shave cream called healox

now i use a futur and a barberpole as my main razors,, and MWF and trumpers soaps with merkur blades and all is good

i doubt any one with bad ingrowns can end getting them in a short time but over time i think it cant be done..

i would not recommend trying to get a super close shave (bbs)
because a close shave will only increase the odds of getting ingrowns

just shoot for a nice shave that is acceptble with will allow the whiskers to be out of the skin line and makes less chance for ingrowns to start

and not going for the closest of shaves should let you shave more often hopefully daily

after the ingrowns are under control...you may then try for closer shaves

good luck
and please no laser treatments

marc

Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:15 pm

LookingGlass wrote:Ralph,

Many folks on SMF have found the Merker Progress to be an agressive razor even on the lowest settings. I tossed mine because it was a meat cleaver on setting 1.

If you are able to, I suggest you obtain a vintage Gillette Fatboy or Slim adjustable and go with a low setting..1 or 2. This will give a very mild razor/blade angle. Maybe go with a Derby or Personna Red blade.

I will send you some Derby and Personna blades if you like.

This is a great hobby/shave experience....would like to see it work for you.

V/R
Ed
Ralph,

I think that Ed has a great suggestion. When I started wetshaving I tried both a Merkur Progress and a Futur. Both razors were far too aggressive for me, and my neck often looked like yours, and as a result I would have to skip shaving for days much like you. I eventually found my way to a vintage Gillette Fatboy and then a Slim Adjustable, and then things started to get better. I also learned (thanks to guidance from other SMF members) not to apply downward pressure and to let the weight of the razor account for all of the the pressure while you shave. This was a lesson that took me a while to learn, and my neck paid the price. Good preparation before shaving is also important.
Cheers,

Craig

themba

Post by themba » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:58 pm

If you can find Bump Fighter razors I would give them a try for your neck area. If you are unfamiliar, Bump Fighter razors are single edge Trac II styled cartridges with a guard on the the blade edge that helps to keep you from shaving below the skin line. See link below for more info on Bump Fighter razors:

http://www.personna.com/personna/blades ... or-system/

Zot!

Post by Zot! » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:07 am

One of my co-workers tried the laser treatments. Its not a one-time thing and he has to go back once a year to get it redone as the whiskers grow back. It is quite expensive and time consuming, but the results looked good.

Perhaps, just do one or two with the grain passes with the bump fighter and see how that turns out.

I saw Mantics review of Bluebeard's Revenge shave cream which is supposed to slow hair growth but I am a bit of a skeptic.
Ron

ralph

Post by ralph » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:16 am

Cheers for all the input,

Ill look into a straight, why don't people call it a "cut throat" - so much cooler!

I'll also leave off the laser for a good while and keep trying out different combos, I'm good for blades and razors at the moment cheers folks, I bought a sample pack off shaving.ie ( good site based here in ireland)

I'll try my slim adjustable again as I havent tried it in a while, I'll start with 7 oclocks for a while then red personnas then feathers.

I only do 1 pass WTG but I find it difficult to obtain WTG as the stubble around my adams apple grown in all directions.

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:03 am

Lasers are best used a solution for which pickup to use for playing a CD. They shouldn't be a solution on a shaving forum! :wink:

Chris
Benz Micro Ruby 3, or an Ortofon Kontapunkt C (I have spares of each) for LPs
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Ralph,

Just a follow-up to see how things are going. Hope your shaving experience is better. Please let me/us know.

Thanks,

Ed

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 am

@Ralph

One thing I picked up on in your first post was that you heated your face up with a warm facecloth. That is good...but do you wring out the water first?

Reason I ask is that the moisture is really what does the trick in combination with the heat to open the pores and properly prep your beard for shaving.

This is not an issue if you are already doing it this way, of course.

Your hair is similar to mine in that the hair grows in so many different directions on the neck. It can make for a frustrating shave at times. Only major difference is that your hair does appear to grow really close to the skin.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...

ralph

Post by ralph » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Hello again,

Sorry for the lack of replies, broke my leg, anyone any advice on shaving with a broken leg?? It's a lot harder than i thought, ends of feeling like a 15 minute 1 legged squat.

Drumana - I only do 1 pass on the neck and i don't attempt a BBS at all, even though I only go WTG I can't help but shave some hairs ATG which I believe is cutting them too far and hence why they grow back under the skin.

Giammi - I will look into a straight as I don't need to achieve BBS so will try out a few more razor/blade combos first.

Lookingglass - Haven't used a Merkur in a month now, went back to the slim adjustable on low setting( used 1 a few times but think 2 or 3 is better as it cuts a lot more with the same technique without any dragging). I've actually found derby's pretty horrible the last time I used them a few years ago so I'm trying red personnas for the last 10 or so shaves. Honestly think it's the most progress I've made so far. Ingrowns are calming but still get irratation and redness. I still think I'm shaving too close as I'm afraid to shave more than once a week, as I have to wait till all the hairs are above the skin.

Glad to hear people had the same problems and have improved, I'll keep track of how some new tips work out.

Thanks a bunch

Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Ralph,

First: WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Come often, stay long and enjoy.

Second: After 6 years of DE shaving you are no amateur. Have you had this problem for 6 years? If not, WHAT CHANGED. You seem to have all the right equipment and after 6 years your technique should be solid. WHAT CHANGED.

Preparation, Preparation, Preparation.
Technique, Technique, Technique.
Let the razor do the work, No Pressure.
Slow Down and Enjoy Your Shave.

WHAT CHANGED.

The pics look like your technique was off. Too Much Pressure. And possibly too much pressure with an aggressive razor trying to obtain a BBS shave. Or it could be too much pressure, an aggressive razor, and blades that don't suit you. Have you tried a sampler back of various blades. Maybe you just haven't found the right combo.

I'm by no means an expert, but that's my two cents worth and I hope you solve your problem. Good luck and keep us in the loop. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:47 pm

I wonder if corking his blades would do anything to help?

Chris

ScottB

Post by ScottB » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 pm

ralph wrote:Hello again,

Sorry for the lack of replies, broke my leg, anyone any advice on shaving with a broken leg?? It's a lot harder than i thought, ends of feeling like a 15 minute 1 legged squat.

Drumana - I only do 1 pass on the neck and i don't attempt a BBS at all, even though I only go WTG I can't help but shave some hairs ATG which I believe is cutting them too far and hence why they grow back under the skin.

Giammi - I will look into a straight as I don't need to achieve BBS so will try out a few more razor/blade combos first.

Lookingglass - Haven't used a Merkur in a month now, went back to the slim adjustable on low setting( used 1 a few times but think 2 or 3 is better as it cuts a lot more with the same technique without any dragging). I've actually found derby's pretty horrible the last time I used them a few years ago so I'm trying red personnas for the last 10 or so shaves. Honestly think it's the most progress I've made so far. Ingrowns are calming but still get irratation and redness. I still think I'm shaving too close as I'm afraid to shave more than once a week, as I have to wait till all the hairs are above the skin.

Glad to hear people had the same problems and have improved, I'll keep track of how some new tips work out.

Thanks a bunch
Wow hope you are ok. Trying to shower and stuff is going to be a bit annoying for you for awhile. You can get creative with a garbage sack and some rubber bands and be able to shower. You might need to put a chair of some kind into the shower.

I came to SMF because of ingrown hairs on my neck. After trying to shave for a week with a MachIII I would develop them.

The only thing that works 100% of the time for me is a single-blade shave *strictly* with the grain on the neck. I can get away with a cross-grain pass along my jawline but never on my neck. It basically means settling for an imperfect shave on your neck. It should feel smooth if stroked with the grain but you will feel stubble against the grain.

So the downside is that you can feel some stubble. The upside is that nobody can see it. You are visually presentable, the first goal in shaving imho. I can shave 6 days per week now and never have an ingrown, not a single one since 2006.

Shaving once per week seems intuitive because you are "giving your face a rest" but that once per week shave is a tough one where some pressure is needed to penetrate your beard. That pressure is also irritating your skin and shaving a bit too close to the skin on your neck.

It sounds like you are sorting it out. Good luck.

Scott