How low can you go?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
jbc

How low can you go?

Post by jbc »

I am one of those lucky men with an extreemly light beard that comes out perfect with anything with a blade. I have shaved with: a kitchen knife, hatchette, swiss army knife, ax and a piece of broken glass and it all comes out perfect. Although I will remark after shaving with these things I have learned there are reasons why we shave with blades specifically designed for shaving, all of the weight in the kitchen knife and swiss army knife are in the handle and the blasted thing kept rotating towards my ears. The broken glass, while it did the job perfectly, the uneven surfaces was a major problem.

Since anything will work how low have you found blades and soap? I have found a vendor who will sell Williams for $.90 per puck and Astra blades for $5 for 100. Trouble with the Williams is I have not found a mug to fit the soap and the company does not sell a mug, what solution can you perscribe? Perhaps I will heat the puck in a microwave then pour it into the cup and sit it on the coutner and let it cool to the dimensions of the mug.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
tn_hillbilly

Post by tn_hillbilly »

You can have a potter throw a custom mug for you in the dimensions you want. The price for a simple shaving mug should not be very expensive.
Gordon
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Make sure your Astra blades are made in Russia..nowhere else
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

JBC, Williams won't melt it will burn. Simple solution is to go to TJ Maxx or similar store and pick out an inexpensive mug of the correct size. Take the cake of Williams with you if you are unsure.
Regards,
Squire
jbc

Post by jbc »

Good information Squire, I never ever thought that a mug could be fitted to a puck, seems sort of backward to me, seems that the puck should be fitted to the mug but oh well thats life.

Small Tank - I guess non-russians are no good, will take this under advisement.

What is the lowest cost electronic shop for wet shaving consumables? Since anything does well on me its a low cost shoot out.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: How low can you go?

Post by drmoss_ca »

jbc wrote:I am one of those lucky men with an extreemly light beard that comes out perfect with anything with a blade. I have shaved with: a kitchen knife, hatchette, swiss army knife, ax and a piece of broken glass and it all comes out perfect.
<snip>
Since anything will work how low have you found blades and soap?
Sounds like you should get a straight, as you won't even need to hone it!

Chris :wink:
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
franz

Post by franz »

You can mill shaving soap to make it fit any container - just shred it into flakes, moisten, and tamp down. You will lose some longevity but after all it's only Williams. :P
tn_hillbilly

Low Cost DE Razor Blades

Post by tn_hillbilly »

jbc,
The best deals I have seen on DE razor blades for now are 100 Derby Extra's at Amazon for $7.93 w/free shipping and 100 Dorco ST-300 at West Coast Shaving for $8.00 w/free shipping on orders over $80.
Gordon
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

jbc wrote:I<snip>

Since anything will work how low have you found blades and soap?

<snip>.
Make your own soap. Start with one large dead mammal. Render the fat. Follow instructions in a Thirteenth Edition of the Handbook of Physics and Chemistry. Regarding blades, I would begin with one short roll of razor wire and go from there.

Buzz
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i think willaims soap fits perfectly in a old spice mug..

and the old spice mugs are still at reasonable prices

marc
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

My first bulk purchase of blades was 150 Dorco ST-301's for $10.00 delivered. I'm down to a little over 100 of those blades, and I have others, but I could use them exclusively if I had to.

They work just fine in a Lord L122 "Tech," purchased online for $7-8 including shipping.

Kiss My Face unscented in an 11 oz. pump bottle is on sale at a Kroger just south of here for $5.49. I recently purchased a puck of Williams mug soap at the same Kroger for $1.19. I can use it, but it's satisfactory only when spiked with a few drops of KMF.

In the same strip mall as the Kroger above, a Target store has Shea Moisture badger brushes for $8.99. I'm keeping my eye open for a sale.

Every year for Christmas I ask my sister for a bottle of Thayers witch hazel.

I have two tubes of Body Shop Razor Relief, <2008 formula, purchased on clearance for $4.00 a tube.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I don't understand this thread.
Regards,
Gordon
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

jbc wrote:I am one of those lucky men with an extreemly light beard that comes out perfect with anything with a blade. I have shaved with: a kitchen knife, hatchette, swiss army knife, ax and a piece of broken glass and it all comes out perfect. Although I will remark after shaving with these things I have learned there are reasons why we shave with blades specifically designed for shaving, all of the weight in the kitchen knife and swiss army knife are in the handle and the blasted thing kept rotating towards my ears. The broken glass, while it did the job perfectly, the uneven surfaces was a major problem.
Reminds me of the quote from "Tin Cup":

"Hey Simms, ever par the back nine with a 7 iron?"

"Hell Roy, it never even occured to me to try!"
Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
sffone

Post by sffone »

tn_hillbilly wrote:You can have a potter throw a custom mug for you in the dimensions you want. The price for a simple shaving mug should not be very expensive.
I have a number of mugs that I got custom made for relatively little money. I simply found potters on the internet and contacted them.
brothers

Post by brothers »

For cheap soap go to Walmart or CVS or Walgreens and get a puck of VDS for a couple of dollars, OR, the obvious, get a can of Barbasol for under $2. For cheap razor blades, you can get them at WalMart for less than $2 or $3 for a pack of Wilkinson DE blades.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Shaving is a spiritual refuge, nay a manly stand against the emasculation and dumbing down of manly men by a touchy feely society of studied mediocrity.
I will not dishonour it by paucity of investment though virtually insolvent. 8)
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

When it comes to economizing try mixing your Williams with just the smallest pinch of cream ie Vulvix etc. 8)