Is there any good Alum Block out there?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
chris1978

Is there any good Alum Block out there?

Post by chris1978 »

I'm looking for a good or better Alum block instead of Stypic Pen to stop bleeding as nick or cuts. I'm getting tired of using Stypic Pens. iWhat is good price and in which brands? I do know that the Art of Shaving has Alum with plastic case and Geo. F. Trumper has it too. I want the Alum has the case only. Do know of any if it has?

Chris A
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

IMO, alum blocks are pretty much alum blocks. There are many for sale on Ebay and by many vendors listed on the front page.
Cheers,

Craig
Drubbing
Location: Western Australia-4 hrs flight from anywhere else...

Post by Drubbing »

Alum and styptic pens aren't the same. Alum is basically caveman's aftershave, never stemmed any sizeable cuts when I got them. Styptic stops cuts, but you would want to use it for AS. Not unless pain is your friend. :shock:

Aside from that, Alum blocks are all the same. The big brands just charge a lot for them. Find an Indian supermarket. They usually have them for a couple of $$. We can even get that here in Oz.
Greenhouse

Post by Greenhouse »

I'm not a big fan of alum. It never seemed to do much for me. Instead, I have been using witch hazel and a good aftershave/skin food.

I do have the Art of Shaving alum block. In my limited experience, it will last a very long time (no perceptible decrease in size with use).

Styptic, on the other hand, is something I use if I cut myself shaving (rare, thankfully). To use styptic, I just wet the styptic and touch it to the cut. This will usually stop the bleeding. Then I apply the aftershave.

Alum has no scent, so I also suggest buying the cheapest you can find.

- Greenhouse
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I never cut myself but do get the occasional weeper. Of course this is usually a sign that I need to change my blade. However, the Alum is perfect for this followed with a cold water splash. I have tried rubbing the alum over the entire face but did not see any benefit from it. I am quite sure it tightens the pores but my AS of choice does that as well. Those days were I get tore up I usually splash on witch hazel, the alum, cold water rinse, and then a soothing balm. Fortunately those days are few are far between.
Shawn
JPDyson

Post by JPDyson »

Couple of clarifications from my experience:

1. Alum vs Styptic: Though the chemical compounds share similar attributes (you'll see them all called astringents, styptics, and antiseptics) they're pretty different in terms of use; the styptic pencil is just for spot application on cuts and such. It's mainly used as a coagulant, to stop the bleeding. Alum is for "all-over" application (though I have heard of some folks who avoid applying it on their neck but use it on their cheeks). It's essentially only used as astringent/antiseptic, so it tightens your facial tissue. It can, however, slow or even stop a weaper. In rank of efficacy as a toner, I would put Alum above Witch Hazel, and both above cold water. "More" isn't "better" here; I'd say use the one you need and nothing more. Degree of efficacy change seasonally, so watch for dryness. I've stopped using stypic pencils and alum altogether, and find that witch hazel does plenty for me (and sometimes, just cold water).

2. Alum is Alum is Alum is False. That Thai Deodorant stuff is cheap Ammonium Alum, where "proper" shaving alum is Potassium Alum. Both will "do the job" but one is far smoother and more refined (this will matter as you're dragging it across your freshly shaven face). That doesn't mean you need to go spend $20 on a block of alum. Just look for one that has a consistent appearance without a bunch of fractures and striations. Think about storage and application, as well. You're going to want to put that block somewhere.

HTH, and don't take it as gospel, but the above guidelines have yet to fail me nor anybody I've advised.
--Josh
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Alum became a part of my shaving ritual quite some time ago. While I still use a spot treatment (My Nik is Sealed for me) for anything serious -- I do find that the alum block does make a difference in the end quality of my shave.

I personally like Bloc Osma and TOBS. I currently have a Razor Rock initially being drawn to the packaging. It has lasted well beyond a year, and I still have plenty of product to go. The fact that it is in a self-contained package makes it easy to travel with - and it's very TSA friendly. Although, I must admit that as time goes on, and the block wears down, it becomes smaller so as to easily come out of it's base housing. This has no impact whatsoever on the performance of the product.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

The Razor Rock packaging is what sold me when looking to replace Osma.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Another vote for Bloc Osma here. I've had one now for many years and it looks like I will probably not need anymore in my lifetime. If you use it strictly for the purpose of staunching a nick etc it will indeed last a lifetime in the hands of most accomplished self-shavers. I rarely get nicks or even weepers but when I do I reach for the Bloc Osma and it works like a charm on me.

Years ago all people ever used an alum bloc for was to staunch a nick or weeper. Recently it seems that it has become a custom for some gents to use it as an aftershave. I prefer to use it as a staunch only. YMMV.

Chris
njpaddy

Post by njpaddy »

For over 40 years, I've used powdered alum to stop bleeding from weepers or nicks. It's cheap and a container lasts forever.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

To be clear -- I was drawn to alum for its astringent properties and now use it every time I shave. Weepers or not, I like what it does after a shave, and like to leave it on after my hot water rinse, while I clean up, then rinse it off with cold water, then I go to witch hazel. Both products work really well together for me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I've been using the AoS alum block for the last couple of weeks and really like the results. I don't rinse after applying it and haven't had any trouble at all. Does it matter if you rinse after applying or now?

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

njpaddy,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Come often, stay long and enjoy. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
JPDyson

Post by JPDyson »

Tye wrote:I've been using the AoS alum block for the last couple of weeks and really like the results. I don't rinse after applying it and haven't had any trouble at all. Does it matter if you rinse after applying or now?

-Tye
Eh, some people get irritation if they don't.
--Josh
franz

Post by franz »

Chris1978, I've read a lot of your posts and it sounds like your technique is the problem. If you're getting tired of using styptic pens, try using less pressure with the razor so you don't give yourself weepers and nicks in the first place!
river1

Post by river1 »

I use Razorock that you can get from Bullgoose. If in a little bit of a rush, or if you reposition your razor the wrong way while daydreaming, or just have too many lines in your face, it is easy to nick yourself.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hi njpaddy, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I bought the Osma for my travel kit years ago but don't recall ever having used it.

Wendell since you're a regular user is there any difference in the brands you have tried?
Regards,
Squire
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Bought an Osma cause it seemed like the thing to do. Poor choice. I cannot remember the last time I had a weeper or nick.

Good lather plus sharp blade plus good technique equals a great shave. Just IMHO.

Ed
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

jww wrote:To be clear -- I was drawn to alum for its astringent properties and now use it every time I shave. Weepers or not, I like what it does after a shave, and like to leave it on after my hot water rinse, while I clean up, then rinse it off with cold water, then I go to witch hazel. Both products work really well together for me.
+1
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.