Fear the DE! Why?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Quarterstick

Fear the DE! Why?

Post by Quarterstick »

In the "hardest thing about safety razor shaving..." thread
fallingwickets wrote:the hardest part i think is getting past the nervousness of actually using a de.

clive
(for reference: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48027)

I also had that initial trepidation with switching. It seems pretty irrational in hindsight, but it seems to be pretty common.

To quote Leisureguy from his blog:
"Some have expressed a fear of the safety razor, and to those I point out that it’s called a safety razor for a reason..."

I am just curious, where does this fear come from?
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

The "safety razor" term originated from the fact the razor was safer to use than a STR8 razor, which the DE followed.
The modern cartridge blades in which the blades are partially hidden and "protected" you never have contact with the actual blade when you load it. On the contrary, loading the DE razor with the blade in your hand you get a good look at what you're about to embark on. Through clumsy loading or just pure curiosity as to how sharp the blade is, they’ll cut themselves. To some people, this may prove daunting and they break out with the hibbie jibbies.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

yea I was like that years ago..then I got like that when I held my 1st str8 razor..now I get like that holding a veggie peeler :lol:

ST
franz

Post by franz »

Because cartridge razors don't contain actual blades. :P
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Andy I suspect it's just fear of the unknown coupled with the fact you could actually hurt yourself.
Regards,
Squire
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Squire wrote:Andy I suspect it's just fear of the unknown coupled with the fact you could actually hurt yourself.
Gotta agree with Squire. BTW, the worst cut I have received in ~18 months was early on when I did not pay attention to removing the head on an EJ89...twisted the head with my thumb and forefinger. One nasty cut on my thumb; however, a good lesson learned the hard way. :shock: :shock:. Just have to treat these guys with respect. Lucklily, I have never had a bad cut on my face.

Take care,
Ed
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

could be becks induced imagination, but to this day i'm a lot more careful with a de than i am with the fusion....in the back of my head there is always cut jugular spraying blood all over the place gory death no hottie cradling me in her arms movie playing 24/7 :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Why no hottie?
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

well no hottie is what makes it so scarey :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
paddy

Post by paddy »

I am just curious, where does this fear come from?
the unknown. it's a basic human trait.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
ateace

Post by ateace »

For me, the fear came from a few attempts to use a DE without actually knowing how to use it properly.

Pain, irritation and blood had me running back to whatever cart I was using at the time - after two or three days of healing, of course.
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

ateace wrote:For me, the fear came from a few attempts to use a DE without actually knowing how to use it properly.

Pain, irritation and blood had me running back to whatever cart I was using at the time - after two or three days of healing, of course.
That seems pretty normal to me. Hurt yourself and you are not likely to jump back in.

I on the other hand approached the process with an apprehension and no prior experience. Looking back, what many have posted makes sense. For some people that were not raised in the age of the safety razor, combine the unknown and a sharp blade that has to be handled
desertbadger wrote:and they break out with the hibbie jibbies.
Clive's comments also sparked the notion in my brain that the concept of the double edged razor blade in the popular culture (such as in the movies) has taken on a negative connotation over the years. For instance, I can recall a number of scenes in horror films where razor blades have been used to sinister effect. I am sure this has only gotten worse with the advent of the super gore movies like the Saw franchise of films.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Squire wrote:Andy I suspect it's just fear of the unknown coupled with the fact you could actually hurt yourself.
Even more true when I contemplate my st8! :shock:
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Electric and cartridge razors are no brainers in use. The DE requires a bit of skill. When one starts trying to use de and realizes some skill is needed not to cut ones self, it is a little scarry.
Ron
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

ateace wrote:For me, the fear came from a few attempts to use a DE without actually knowing how to use it properly.
+1, and how!

My first DE shave was with a brand new Feather Popular and Feather blade. I had not yet seen any of Mantic's videos and had been thoroughly scared by the stuff I'd read before taking the plunge.

I was oh-so-careful and I had a great shave. No blood, no nuthin'. And only once did I consider going back to my Bic Sensitives. Got over that notion and I'll be using my arsenal till it's check-out time.
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'll let you in on a little secret. Even though I'd been using a DE razor and any kind of blade from the corner drug or grocery store for decades, when I got dialed in here and realized there are many more options, I stumbled onto the legendary Feather blade. There was all the talk about how sharp they were, and "oh, look out, be careful, that's a really sharp razor blade!" So I traded a guy some of my blades for some Feathers, and when the big day came, my hand was almost shaking with apprehension. I laughed then, because it's a razor blade for Pete's sake!! :lol: :lol: They cut whiskers just like most others, some as good, some better or worse, but how silly it was of me to be afraid of it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Great story Gary....it shows what enablers and fear-mongers we have here :lol: :lol:

clive
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

If a DE razor can evoke that sort of reaction, then what about a chainsaw. - shaking hands are not an option !!! :lol:
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by alcx77 »

The st8 on the other hand :shock:
brothers

Post by brothers »

Same kind of trepidation, but unfortunately, the likilihood of at least a few cuts in the beginning are a virtual certainty with a SR. It's definitely an activity that is well worth shedding a bit of blood if that's what it takes to learn it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444