Newbie here

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
FrancisDeSales

Newbie here

Post by FrancisDeSales »

Hi all. After lurking for several days, I thought I'd post.

Until 6 months ago, I had been shaving, before showering, with a Mach3 and the Edge goo in a can followed by Rubbing Alcohol as an aftershave. I picked up this combo (but with a sensor) in the Navy. It worked ok, I have to admit.

Unless my seborhea flared up.

So 6 months ago I got a boar bristle brush and a cake of something (Murphy's, Campells, Williams, something like that), yanked a cappucino mug from the kitchen and made a wire stand from an old hanger so the brush could dry without soaking the glue.) Still using a Mach3 at that point. The shave is much better, which was a pleasant suprise, since I had bought this rig simply for the nostaligia of my dad's long lazy shaves in a big hunk of jagged mirror proppe din the window sill. He used the same drugstore brush, but no stand.

So at Xmas, the fiancee got me a pure badger brush, a Merkur HD, and an apothecary mug with a glycerin cake from "Col. Conk", who is apparently the Sandhurst-graduate brother of "Panama Jack".

But the shave was magnificent. I had already started shaving before showering, but the switch in soap, and the switch in razors made shaving a joy. Until Christmas started, I was a twice-per-week man. Now its every day except Saturday, so Sunday morning has a nice full growth.

The other night I stopped at "Crabtree & Evelyn" and got a tube of sandalwood shave cream. More impressive lather, but I don't think it lubes any better. Acceptable though.

Then today I saw "Organic Essentials Shave Cream" (I think). It was lavendar, so I grabbed it. Apparently NOT meant to lather up with a brush. Exchanged it for some "Herban Cowboy" shave cream. That doesn't lather either!!!

But all in all, I'm sporting a great shave now; may they only improve.
"The Catholic Church is like a thick steak, a glass of red wine, and a good cigar."
[GK Chesterton].
JD

Post by JD »

Welcome! I hope you are ready for the pending shave addiction that will soon consume you. I have just started as well and I already have 11 creams and 3 brushes. It can get a bit crazy sometimes. If you have any questions no matter how odd please post them! People here seem to love to answer questions. I know I have gotten answers to everything I need via the search feature or by posting questions. Good luck!
JD
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Welcome to forum Francis. I think JD pretty much summed it up that we are here to help.
FrancisDeSales

Post by FrancisDeSales »

Thanks, fellows.

I may buy one or two brushes before this one wears out, but I really don't think I'll be going on the acquiring binges some of you guys seem to be able to maintain. I do want to find the best possible cream for me, so that will take some experimentation, but I hope to settle on something soon. Once I master the DE, I'll probably try a shavette or Feather Artist, and who knows, maybe in my 40's I'll be stropping a razor. We'll see.

Oh, and sorry I forgot to sign my name last time.

Franklin
Atlanta, GA
"The Catholic Church is like a thick steak, a glass of red wine, and a good cigar."
[GK Chesterton].
JD

Post by JD »

Well if you want to try creams I suggest searching for samples via the search feature and request samples from the email address listed in that post. I got some samples saturday from Truefitt & Hill of thier Ultimate Shave Cream. Excellent product. Not to mention that if you dont like a cream you can always trade it with someone for something else. Who knows they may love a cream that you cant stand.

JD
JD
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

FrancisDeSales wrote:I may buy one or two brushes before this one wears out, but I really don't think I'll be going on the acquiring binges some of you guys seem to be able to maintain.
We'll be reminding you about this post in about 6 months, after you've gotten your fourth brush. :lol:

Seriously, welcome to the brotherhood! There's another thread around here somewhere that talks about how to get samples of creams from a number of manufacturers; Truefitt & Hill, Trumper's, and Taylor's being the most common examples. You'll soon be happyily toying with all sorts of nifty stuff to mow your stubble down with. :)

--Mark
JD

Post by JD »

Here is the link to the post on requesting free samples.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1312
JD
FrancisDeSales

Post by FrancisDeSales »

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely make use of it.

And yes, feel free to rub it in if I prove myself wrong. I'm a good sport.

Thanks for the welcome.

Also, if anyone has a reccomendation on dealing with seborhea, I'm always happy to hear it. I rarely break out, and when I do, it is never as bad as my father's. But I am a good bit younger, too.
[GK Chesterton].