Pre-shave oil: yay or nay? Also, some newbie questions.

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
absenteemessiah

Pre-shave oil: yay or nay? Also, some newbie questions.

Post by absenteemessiah »

I have recently gotten more into shaving, and I'm interested in the opinion of pre-shave oils on the board.

I just picked up a new brush and ordered some St. Charles Shave Soap.

Also, could you recommend a good, inexpensive pre-shave oil and double-edge razor? I am a college student with little disposible income, but enjoy the luxury of a good shave.

Thanks.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Welcome to the boards! You'll find a lot of good information here. I would suggest taking a look at Pacific Shave Oil. It's actually designed to be used instead of shaving cream or soap, but a lot of guys use is as a pre-shave oil with great results. You can find it here:

http://www.shaveoil.com/index.php

A little bit goes a long way!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

For the razor: do you want new, or will a used one do?
Sometimes you can find an old Gillette double edge for not too much money - but lately they've been enjoying a wave of popularity and may go for just about the price of a new razor.

If you can afford it, a Merkur classic or classic hefty model is a good deal, around the twenty-five to thirty dollar range. qedusa.com or leesrazors.com or classicshaving.com all have them. A great razor, and will last you forever (as in you could give it to your grandson when the time comes).
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Nay.

Nathan
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Welcome to the Board, A.M.

Generally speaking I do not use shave oil, or pre-shave oil.

BUT.....
There are some mornings when I get up, I just KNOW this is going to be an unpleasant shave. The beard feels like nails, the skin is tight and the head is "tired" LOL. Obviously a bit dehydrated..... :wink:
On those mornings, I will do a good soak with hot water and towels and apply some hair conditioner to the whiskers (Lord knows I don't have much hair! but I keep some around just for this purpose) and let it sit while I work up my lather. Then I lather right over top the conditioner.
It works for me.... but it is a rare event that I need it.
Good luck, :lol:

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
stuff495

Re: Pre-shave oil: yay or nay? Also, some newbie questions.

Post by stuff495 »

absenteemessiah wrote:Also, could you recommend a good, inexpensive pre-shave oil and double-edge razor? I am a college student with little disposible income, but enjoy the luxury of a good shave.
Regarding the pre-shave oil: in the end I don't find that it makes a difference with me. Some people like it, but if I was looking to save some $$$, the shaving oil would be the first thing to go. That said, the Pacific Shaving Oil seems to be the most recommended around here, and the price is about normal for pre-shave oil I'm afraid.

If you want a new razor, go with the simplest Merkur "Classic". I don't think the "Heavy Duty" model will buy you anything but a heaver razor. Truth be told the Classic is all you need if you want a new razor. The things a already built like a tank, no need to add anything else to it.

I would strongly advise not paying as much for a vintage razor as a new one, since the new one is going to be in new condition, while the vintage one could be a pot-shot. I'll let someone who knows more about them advise you on what particular models would be good. Truth be told, I get by just fine with a Merkur Classic for all my DE razor needs.

--Vincent
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Sometimes, only when I don't shave for a few days and have long whiskers. I believe the oil helps make the shaft softer.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I had never tried pre-shave oil before, then I bought some from Nancy Boy. It definetly helps me on my trouble spots such as the neck, it just gives that little bit more glide. On the face I find it doesn't do anything for me. As I just started using it, I have to do a bit more testing.
Richard
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I've tried several pre-shave oils and no longer use any. I do find that after wetting my face applying a small amount of hair conditioner before lathering up helps improve the quality of my shave.

I would recommend starting with the Merkur HD Classic Straight Bar razor.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Not for me thanks.

Cliff
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i also dont use preshave oil. someone though mentioned the neck. i have found that for me, shave lather for blade buffing is not as good as the QED shave sticks. i use those and just rub it on the neck and then take my razor and move back and forth over the same spot, quickly and lightly, in all directions, to remove the last bit of stubble. the glycerin content is high and it allows remnants of the glycerin to remain and be pushed ahead of the razor in the area before i shave it, thus allowing the quick back and forth movement without irritation. regular shaving cream seems to just be removed after the first pass and stay on the razor and not be around for that return pass, and i get irritated

sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ren: excellent observation. and the italics i like. if there is nivea in the swap box ill get in a week or two, ill try it. if not, there is walmart down the street and ill grab some and if i dont like it and still have not gotten the swap box, will toss it in. that protective barrier makes sense, but then again, just thinking aloud, if there is a "barrier" would it also not be a barrier for the blade to cut? and if that barrier is that impermeable, then it seems that the blade wont cut to the skin and therefore leave a little stubble?

that barrier is why i use the shave stick. i think the lather from a cream just remains on the razor head and when you shave, it just stays there. with the shave stick, that glycerin just sorta remains on the razor, but it somehow gets back on the skin just ahead of the blade. i can make like 4 or 5 quick blade buffs, if you will, and then still feel slick glycerin, take my fingers and rub it again on that spot and go back to it

sam
Joey

Post by Joey »

Big Ren wrote:......While I don't believe preshave products make a noticeable difference in the softening of the whiskers, I believe they do help protect the skin from razor burn.....
This is what I have noticed. Irritation is greatly reduced when I used some sort of a pre-shave treatment. I've been using the Pacific Shave Oil, which works great and is much more economical than many of the pre-shave oils available.
FrancisDeSales

Post by FrancisDeSales »

Has anyone ever tried using straight glycerin as a pre-shave or barrier, like Ren describes? Is there some reason you wouldn't want to?

I mean, as cheap as Nivea is, glycerin is a little less, I would think. I may have to grab a bottle next time I hit Walgreen's for tobacco.
"The Catholic Church is like a thick steak, a glass of red wine, and a good cigar."
[GK Chesterton].
CRR

Post by CRR »

Big Ren wrote:The product I prefer is plain old Nivea Face Cream in the blue tin - the same stuff your mother, grandmother and great grandmother have probably used. After washing my face with soap and warm water, I dab a small amount of the Nivea on my face before applying a shaving cream/soap by brush.
INMHO Nivea face cream rises head and shoulders above any other preshave product. Used sparingly, it will protect your skin, afford you a close shave and leave your skin feeling soft and moisturized.

Ren
Ren,

I've tried the pre-shave oils, don't do anything for me, but I've never tried nivea. I'll have to try that just for fun. I don't have any issues with razor burn or irritation, but sounds interesting.
Chris.

Steady Boy, Steady!
FrancisDeSales

Post by FrancisDeSales »

Thanks, Ren. Just goes to show that whatever harebrained notion I take, someone older and wiser already did it.

So we'll try Nivea.
"The Catholic Church is like a thick steak, a glass of red wine, and a good cigar."
[GK Chesterton].
FrancisDeSales

Post by FrancisDeSales »

I can only plead incredibly poor eyesight. On closer inspection, that's not your actual photo, but rather the wizened mobster archetype Joseph Viterelli.

So others are not likewise snookered by me, I am not St. Francis De Sales, Bishop of Geneva, Doctor of the Universal Church. :wink:

Franklin

Atlanta, GA
[GK Chesterton].
absenteemessiah

Post by absenteemessiah »

thanks for the advice guys. lately I have been using King of Shaves Metholated Pre-Shave Oil, but I have noticed an upturn in razor burn. I haven't usually had a problem with razor burn, aside from lately.

I will have to give the Merkur Classic a roll.

I just picked up a razor set from work for free, and have heard some decent things about it. Besides, it was free :)

I believe it is called the Emjoi Blade, anyone heard of it?

Thanks for the advice all.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

absenteemessiah wrote:thanks for the advice guys. lately I have been using King of Shaves Metholated Pre-Shave Oil, but I have noticed an upturn in razor burn. I haven't usually had a problem with razor burn, aside from lately.

I will have to give the Merkur Classic a roll.

I just picked up a razor set from work for free, and have heard some decent things about it. Besides, it was free :)

I believe it is called the Emjoi Blade, anyone heard of it?

Thanks for the advice all.
Razor burn? maybe that's because of the menthol
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

I forgot to mention:

I like Proraso Pre/Post shave. As an aftershave the menthol in it really numbs my face if there is any irritation. It's also moisturizing enough to be the only thing I put on.

It also could be used as a pre-shave, although it is not a preshave oil.

Since it does double-duty, it might be worth a shot.

--Vincent
Last edited by stuff495 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.