Pre-shave oil: yay or nay? Also, some newbie questions.

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

homemade pre-shave oil : cheap and effective!!!
On those days I need preshave oil, I just use a few drops of olive oil.
TSMAN

Post by TSMAN »

I've never been bothered by being in the minority before and it doesn't bother me now and I won't be paying ANYONE on this forum to make anything for me, but it's real nice of you to offer.
I'm not into pissing money away, but when I feel like I'm getting my money's worth that's enough for me - I don't need any advice of how to spend my money - just worry about your own budgets.
It's painfully obvious that some people have quite an ax to grind where AOS is concerned and it's gotten a bit silly. You'd think they invented "corporate greed" which of course they did not. The other "god-like" and revered English companies praised and worshipped on this forum were charging exorbitant prices for their products long before AOS was around. I don't see anyone complaining about the prices of Taylor's Pre-shave oil or T&H's pre-shave oil, which are in the very same price range with AOS. Guess it's ok if you're on that side of the Atlantic and have been around for 200 years. And there are also plenty of other creams that are every bit as expensive as AOS, and I simply don't get the results from them that I do AOS, so to me my money is better spent on AOS. For me, that's just the way it is. Apparently, AOS is the only company worth chastising for their expensive products. Given how long it takes me to go through a 2 oz. bottle of pre-shave, it probably breaks down to a few pennies a shave - probably not going to retire on it. My local pizza parlor probably marks up its pizza 1000% but it's damn good pizza. While I can make a pretty good pizza of my own when I want to, most of the time I'd rather just call them up and have them make it for me and I know that I am paying not just for the pizza itself but for them to make it for me - they do a great job and I'm perfectly willing to pay the price. I know some people who won't order their pizza b/c they think it's too expensive - that's their decision to make as it is mine.

If Nordstrom's or Sak's chooses to staff its stores with people who don't know much about shaving, that is hardly something to admonish AOS for. Wouldn't be the first time a sales person tried to sell something they know very little about. The AOS store in Vegas was staffed with very knowledgeable shaving personnel. My Nordstrom's fellow knows a little bit about shaving as well, gives me plenty of FREE AOS samples, and never pressures me to buy anything I don't want - I know what I want and am not easily bullied into buying things I don't want whether its AOS or anything else for that matter. I'm sure AOS is not a perfect company, but I have yet to find one in corporate America. Their products give me great shaves and that's also what I thought this forum was about. Opinions on this forum are just opinions whether it's about a shaving tool, product, or prices. I enjoy shaving too much to allow this to get in the way. My shave this morning with AOS was a sweet as it ever was and so it will be on the next shave as well. This is the last comment I'll make on this.
Sean
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

It's painfully obvious that some people have quite an ax to grind where AOS is concerned and it's gotten a bit silly.

Funny, from where I'm sitting, it seems like someone else has an axe to grind. I'm not really sure what put the bug up your ass, Sean, but I don't see this as something to get all worked up about. I couldn't care less what you spend your money on. I was simply informing people that AOS literally charge 1100% more than the "parts minus labor" cost of an oil concoction that people can make for themselves almost entirely from things they can purchase in a grocery store, and that can be made with very little effort. I imagine there are a lot of folks here who would appreciate knowing that. As for me having an axe to grind against AOS, that is not the case. I still use some of their products - those that I think are worth the money, or at least those that I like enough to spend the money on. A good example is their aftershave gel: I don't know if it is actually worth the price or not. However, I think it is the best product of its kind, and I can't make it myself. So, I spend the money on it. The oil is a different matter. I don't care who makes it: if it's castor and olive oils, and sells for $11 an ounce, it's a ripoff, in my opinion. I would say the same thing if it were Trumper or Harris who made it. I don't even like pre-shave oils, so I haven't bothered to research who puts what into theirs. That's why I haven't mentioned other brands. I know about AOS because I've used it, and I picked on AOS in this instance because Dude mentioned he bought some. That's all.

Nathan
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Nathan,

Well said. We can all chose to spend money on what or where we want. If someone disagrees, not big deal. Hell, it's just shaving!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

rtaylor61 wrote:Nathan,

Well said. We can all chose to spend money on what or where we want. If someone disagrees, not big deal. Hell, it's just shaving!

Randy
Now lets all get back to just that, shaving..... :D
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

I had olive oil this morning preshave : smoooooth
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

Think I'll try Nivea.
I've used Vaseline Intensive Skincare on a close shave morning.

Incidentally it also seems to work well for my occasional shirtcollar razor burn but it will stain clothing.
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
whitey56789

Post by whitey56789 »

Do pre-shave products clogs pores at all? I have very sensitive acne prone skin and I want to try a pre-shave product but I'm worried it will do more harm than good.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

whitey56789 wrote:Do pre-shave products clogs pores at all? I have very sensitive acne prone skin and I want to try a pre-shave product but I'm worried it will do more harm than good.
I've not known them too. But that's just me. I like the smooth skin I have the whole day afterwards.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

This thread, specifically the comments about AOS products, convinced me that the samples I have need to be tried and used. So tonight I did so. In reverse order, I like the A/S balm, although I think it will be much too heavy for summer. It was very moisturizing, and briefly gave a cross between a tingle/burn. I don't know the price of this productl but I might be tempted to purchase it. The shaving cream, marked as unscented, had some type of "aroma" that I did not care for. Having said that, it whipped up into a beautiful lather and provided for a very comfortable 3 pass shave. The Pre-Shave oil...this one threw me. I immediately recognized the scent ot this one, and as soon as I applied it to my hands, I knew exactly what I was thinking of...Shave Secret. The same scent and the same "greasy" texture, requiring a serious scrub down before picking up my razor. I think that if you like the AOS pre-shave, you'll love Shave Secret, espeially at less than $4 bucks a bottle at Wal Mart. It seemed to do it's job, but no better than Shave Secret which I used for the better part of a week. Now, more than 2 hours after my shave, my face still has an "unnaturally greasy feeling"...and I don't know if it is from the pre-shave or the A/S balm. I still have small amounts of both...the pre-shave I will toss, and the A/S balm I will try again tomorrow night, to see if this is what I am now feeling or if the "feel" is from the pre-shave oil. I can understand why people like the AOS products, but I'm not sure if they are for me after just one use.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
reginald-van-gleason

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

Thanks for the review Randy. The only AOS products that I really want to try are the shaving soaps, specifically the Lemon. I've heard very good things. But they are pricey, I may just have to wait for a trade opportunity.

With regards to pre-shave oil... the only one I have tried thus far is American Crew Shave Oil, and when I was a mach3 and barabasol user, I really thought this stuff was heaven-sent. It saved me from a lot of the razor burn I normally received... although I did find it annoyingly greasy, and I had to take special care to clean it off of my razor. Since I've gained more experience using higher quality shave gear (7 months now) I've found shave oil to be unnecessary, for the most part. I've been trying to pair my setup down to just the essentials, and keep it simple. I must admit, though, like others here, there are days when I know I'm going to have a nasty morning shave and I keep the shave oil for just those occasions...helps to smooth out the rough edges, so to speak.

RVG
FrancisDeSales

Post by FrancisDeSales »

I don't see anyone complaining about the prices of Taylor's Pre-shave oil or T&H's pre-shave oil, which are in the very same price range with AOS.
Um, no. Look, I am a very recent revert to wetshaving, but I know a thing or two about exchange rates. When the difference between the pound and dollar are factored in, old school cremes aren't nearly so expensive as AOS (whose products I've never tried, btw, because the local staff here are idiots, so it might be the bee's knees.)

But when the pound loses value and is again nearly 1:1 with the dollar, you'll see how exorbitant AOS products really are.

And also, let me toss my hat in with Nathan. Someone's got an axe to grind here, but I don't think its the folks merely expressing their opinions of AOS products, as opposed to the guy expressing his opinion about the people who have opinions about AOS products which differ from his own.

Got that?
"The Catholic Church is like a thick steak, a glass of red wine, and a good cigar."
[GK Chesterton].
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I tried the AOS pre shave last night out of curiosity. I had a sample, someone spoke passionately about it, and I gave it a shot. Personally, not for me. But if someone else likes it, hey, go with what works best for you. If you want to make your own pre-shave oil, great. If you don't want to use it, great. No point in getting bent out of shape over this. Other than the samples, I have never tried anything AOS. However, I do think they are over priced. This is based on seeing their price tag. If I used them and liked them, I might perceive them to be a good value for the dollar. I admire Seans passion about these products, whether I like them or not. Sean obviously does like them, and we all know that AOS is not given a lot of respect around here, so I can see where he reached a point of speaking up. Just remember...this is just shaving. We are not saving lives, finding the cure for cancer or creating world peace. So if you have something you like, great. Something you don't like? Great. Voice your opinion and move on.

Randy (Stepping down off of soap box)
FrancisDeSales

Post by FrancisDeSales »

Just remember...this is just shaving. We are not saving lives, finding the cure for cancer or creating world peace.
I want that stitched on a sampler!!!
"The Catholic Church is like a thick steak, a glass of red wine, and a good cigar."
[GK Chesterton].
dude

Post by dude »

JackieMartling wrote:By "the other stuff everyone is mentioning for a preshave oil," do you mean Pacific Shaving Oil? le.

Nathan
Yes. I want to order some soon and give it a shot.

I also use Proraso pre/post cream and shaving cream. The shaving cream beats my Classic Shaving soap on my face. Lathers great and really keeps the irratation down.

The proraso cream is great too and I love it. I want to try Trumpers Skin Food and a few other brands but I can't let go of my Proraso products.

I am looking for a moisturizer for my face after a shave and for every day use. The kind that really mositurizes...

Also, I stay away from the board a few days and an AOS holy war breaks out. ;) Talk about unexpected...
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i received a sample of the truefit preshave oil and it smelled good. had some grapefruit or citrus in it. not as thick as some preshave oil i tried, i think AOS or montsource. did not make my face all that slick on application. i lathered up some coates tea tree cream over it.

now, because i subscribe to the reduction method, my first pass is not the most aggressive setting on my vision. i noticed that the hairs, yes, it did seem to glide easier, but that is really not that important to me as i dont get irritation on my cheeks anyway and my neck gets irritation at times when i blade buff or go sideways.

i did use the oil before my touch up and ill report later today if my shave was any closer or if i notice any difference. i will use it tomorrow only as a say 3rd or 4th pass barrier for the crossways and blade buffing and see if that changes up anything on closeness or comfortability. ill use one of my regular creams as the tea tree was a sample i also got

sam
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Sam, now that you've used the Truefitt pre shave oil for longer, what do you think of it? I believe it has some similar ingredients as PSO, which is the oil i have been using daily with good effect. I believe the Truefitts is also quite watery.
Anyone have any experience with Taylor's Herbal Pre-Shave Gel? I believe that's what The Gentlemen's Shop in England use at their barber shop as a pre-shave.
Thanks,
-Mahesh
obsessis

Post by obsessis »

i bought some PSO today for $8 shipped, that's not a bad price. I can't wait to try to make my own....is there any benefit by adding in canola oil to the mix as doug(?) did?
joseph
greenerock

Post by greenerock »

Hey Ren,
I tried the Nivea creme this morning and it works like a dream.(not that I doubted you) It's also a great mosturizer for the rest of your body. I think I'll be going through it pretty fast since my wife is already crazy about it. Thanks for the great tip. Doug
DEF

Post by DEF »

obsessis wrote:i bought some PSO today for $8 shipped, that's not a bad price. I can't wait to try to make my own....is there any benefit by adding in canola oil to the mix as doug(?) did?
Hey, Joseph. Funny how these threads get called up again after lying dormant for a while. Looks like greenerock (a fellow Doug!) took the plunge on Ren's Nivea trick. Funny; I spied a blue tub just the other day and remembered that advice.

For a very belated answer to your question -- I don't know that there's any particular benefit to adding the canola oil; I just needed to cut the olive oil a little more and had run out of castor oil! I hardly ever use the stuff now, but for a kick last week I did. It worked very nicely, smelled great (tangerine EO), and seemed every bit the equal of a "professional" PSO.
Doug