I hated it!!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
sgtrecon212

I hated it!!

Post by sgtrecon212 »

My gorgeous wife and I were invited to a "last of the summer" bash over Labor Day weekend. Normally when Lisa and I stay somewhere, it's rarely for more than overnight, and I try to shave as close to leaving time. Since my shaves usually last a pretty decent time, I don't take all my gear with me. We stayed for a couple of days and to look decent, I took along a disposable 2 bladed razor and one of Wendy's sample discs of soap, thought I would give it a try.

Maybe it was just me, but I hated using that disposable. The soap did just fine, but that razor was not cool. It tugged and pulled and the shave just didn't last worth a darn. Soooo... I hope I don't have to do that again any time soon!
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
95%

Post by 95% »

Steve, I had a similar experience on an overnight trip a few years ago, when I shaved with a Bic. I know exactly how you feel. So now I bring along my regular razor, a small synthetic-bristle brush (for quick drying) and a tube of shaving cream or a sample of cream. It doesn't take up much space in my travel bag and it sure beats roughing it with a disposable razor and toilet soap.
Porter
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

reminds of the ss SE blades my wife loves..dam things hate my face..lol
werdna

Post by werdna »

I picked up a Shaving Factory brand low dollar DE razor for just this purpose. It comes in a cheap plastic box that has a nice spot to place a 5 pack or loose DE blade and holds the razor securely enough for most travel.

This razor isn't as nice to use as my EJ de89 but it is really quite passable and much better than the disposables.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I don't understand why you didn't take a proper razor. They're no so difficult to pack.

Buzz
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

A Weishi, some Palmolive and a cheap brush. You're still livin' high on the hog!
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ditto what Buzz posted.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It's the sense of adventure Buzz, being able to wring a shave out of what's available wherever your feet land you. Of course I wimp out and take a shaving kit with me.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Squire wrote:It's the sense of adventure Buzz, being able to wring a shave out of what's available wherever your feet land you. Of course I wimp out and take a shaving kit with me.
Years and years ago...when I was young and stupid...I spent many months bumming around Africa. I took my Merkur DE travel razor, a no-name brush re-badged for Hoffritz, and a couple of pucks of Old Spice hard soap. I made a point of shaving every day, no matter how much travel dust and detritus and aggravation I had accumulated. Traveling can be a real demoralizing pain in the butt, but my daily shave pulled me above whatever troubles I suffered. That travel DE, also re-badged for Hoffritz, is still my one and only razor.

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You are a man of integrety Buzz, I lack your singularity of purpose.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Squire wrote:You are a man of integrety Buzz, I lack your singularity of purpose.
Thanks, Squire. My wife calls it monomania, but she is not an actual mental health professional. I never argue with my wife, she remembers telephone numbers she han't dialed in forty years.

Buzz
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

M6Classic wrote:I don't understand why you didn't take a proper razor. They're no so difficult to pack.

Buzz
+1, I never travel without my full kit. And disposables are a no-no for me as well, they always tear up my face.
Cheers,

Craig
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I never argue with my wife, she remembers
]

:lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
harper

Post by harper »

I hate disposables and I helped introduce Gillette's. They were lousy then and no disposable I have tried since then has been any better. The gym where I worked out for years had them and I began shaving at home because of that and because it was a PIA to use any other razor in the place. The original view by Gillette management was that disposables would be used almost exclusively by women and they were completely wrong: I don't remember now since this was years ago what the exact percentage of the overall market was picked up by disposables ... about 15% I think ... and I doubt it has much changed. Gillette's market view was not unique nor was it disparaging women but the facts are then and now that using a quality razor and blade is not high on a woman's list of priorities.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The women in my life (admittedly not a satistically significant group) always bought whatever razors were on sale while shopping for other stuff.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I just remembered this conversation:

Me . . . "why did you buy this razor?"

Her . . . "because it has a pink handle."
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Squire wrote:I just remembered this conversation:

Me . . . "why did you buy this razor?"

Her . . . "because it has a pink handle."
In my house I would hold my tongue. In addition to her astonishing memory, my wife is well versed in the principles of anaesthesia and is trained in the use of scalpels and other sharp instruments.

Buzz
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

My circumstances were so that I had limited room, and limited time to cover all my bases. Truthfully, I thought I would be able to get by without shaving at all. Not to be.

You can bet that I will MAKE time and room next time. :)
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I find that a bic sensitive is just the ticket when I am traveling by plane for short-ish business trips of a couple of days as I carry everything in a single bag on plane with me to avoid baggage claim waits and ensure all my stuff arrives with me and doesn't get misplaced by airport baggage handling attendants. OK -- not been so bad of late, but I have had a bag lost between Toronto and Ottawa for goodness sakes.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

From the outset, I have not been able to use disposables. They just do a miserable job for me.

I have not had to deal with air travel since I started DE shaving. From other posts, the blade issue is going to be a pain. I will probably end up checking bags from now on and hope they do not get "misplaced" in transit.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.