How to heal red bumps

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Lincoln78

How to heal red bumps

Post by Lincoln78 »

What is the best product to quickly heal, reduce swelling and redness for red bumps associated with ingrown hair and blemishes?

I'm currently using Proraso shaving cream and balm, but was wondering if there is another spot treatment product that works.
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my case, a splash of good old fashioned alcohol on a wash cloth a couple of times a day takes care of the problem. It's worked for me for a lot of years.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ockhams's razor

Re: How to heal red bumps

Post by ockhams's razor »

Lincoln78 wrote:What is the best product to quickly heal, reduce swelling and redness for red bumps associated with ingrown hair and blemishes?

I'm currently using Proraso shaving cream and balm, but was wondering if there is another spot treatment product that works.
as long as there are no pustules, a mixture of aloe vera gel and 1% hydrocortisone cream (mixed equal parts in the palm before applying) up to three-four times a day as needed.
"always act like you belong to be here." (serge storms, hurricane punch by tim dorsey).
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I have found Chapstick useful for these!
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Of course, if these bumps etc. are related to shaving the best thing would be to figure out what's causing them and alter what you're doing/using accordingly. Best of luck with this annoying problem.
Regards,
Gordon
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I take a few drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract or Tea Tree Oil and put it on a tissue. Then i rub it into the red bump until it breaks and bleeds. The GSE or Tea Tree Oil will also work as an antibiotic. After I break them, they are gone in a day or two.
Ed
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I agree with Gordon . . . prevention is the best cure.

However, even if you follow ideal practices, you likely will get an occasional bump if you are prone to them.

The best thing I found, after a lot of searching, has been products that contain glycolic acid and salicylic acid. I haven't tried this one, but I bet it's pretty good: http://www.baxterofcalifornia.com/cart. ... p=20&cat=3

Or this one (which I also haven't used, and looks pricey, but probaby good): http://911skin.com/skin911-glycolic-aci ... 5-gel.html

Some tweezing is also helpful . . but take it easy and don't dig and gouge or you'll make it worse.

Also, this website seems to have some good pointers (pardon some of the less-than-aesthetically pleasing photos on that site!). http://hair.getridofthings.com/get-rid- ... n-hair.htm

Good luck!