The shower shave; fast, furious & effective

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
John N.

The shower shave; fast, furious & effective

Post by John N. »

I shave in the shower every 2 weeks or so, and find it quite handy when pressed for time. I do not use a mirror (can't seem to keep the suction cup stuck to the wall), and it took a little time to get the "no mirror" technique down. The challange was around the sideburns...didn't want them to end up uneven :roll: . With a little practice, it all went well. My razor of choice is the Schick Hydro 3. When working without a mirror, a pivot cartridge razor w/ 3 blades seems to work the best, and the Hydro 3's moisture reservoir helps keep things slick. Any good brushless cream works well for the shower, and if it has a pump, so much the better. Right now I am using the EOS Vanilla Bliss. My wife likes it, and it works quite well for me too. The scent is mild and pleasant, and it also comes unscented.
Anyway, I can get a dfs/bbs shave in about 5 minutes or less. Not as rewarding or fun as my regular shaves, but a technique that is useful when rushed.
J.
John N.
paddy

Post by paddy »

if i'm in that much of a rush, which isn't often, i just do a regular shave but limit it to just one pass. it's a decent enough shave and one pass is as good as most johnny public chaps give themselves most mornings anyway.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John, I haven't shaved in the shower for some time, but during one epoch of my shaving career I shaved in the shower with a Schick Tracer (twin-blade) and just used shampoo for lather.

The results were so much better than I got from just wetting my face and applying lather from a can or from brush/soap. It wasn't until I came here that I realized what a difference beard prep made, first of all, and how to make good lather.

I've been tempted from time to time to try my old shower shave again and see how I experience it now. I still have the Tracer and some fresh blades, so I could certainly recreate the old shave.

- Murray
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I don't think I have ever shaved in the shower. :roll: It could prove disastrous if I tried it now. :( Yep, I think I will stick to my DE's and my usual routine. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
ateace

Post by ateace »

My shaves have been taking place in the shower for over 20 years, most with a disposable or cartridge, sans mirror.

Since switching to DE about 3 1/2 years ago, I'm back to using the mirror.
One day, I hope to go without the mirror again.

My travel shaves are done with a cartridge and no mirror. Good, quick, easy, brainless shaves.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

shower shaves are just not for me..

marc
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

All these years, I've never shaved in the shower.............
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I shave in the shower. Got the mirror in-line with the shower head, and all my shave stuff. I even straight-razored with the feather in the shower. Not a good idea, don't do this at home, lol
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Sam wrote: I even straight-razored with the feather in the shower. Not a good idea, don't do this at home, lol
Yep, don't drop that straight razor if you know what I mean. :wink: :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

CMur12 wrote:. . . during one epoch of my shaving career I shaved in the shower with a Schick Tracer (twin-blade) and just used shampoo for lather.

. . . I still have the Tracer and some fresh blades, so I could certainly recreate the old shave.
I don't use an injector in the shower, rather the Trac II and Sensor. Of late I've become convinced the Trac just doesn't shave close enough without a lot of passes and increased irritation, and Sensor cartridges are ridiculously expensive. I'd like to give the Tracer or Diamond a go, just to see what's what.
Ron
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

rsp1202 wrote:
CMur12 wrote:. . . during one epoch of my shaving career I shaved in the shower with a Schick Tracer (twin-blade) and just used shampoo for lather.

. . . I still have the Tracer and some fresh blades, so I could certainly recreate the old shave.
I don't use an injector in the shower, rather the Trac II and Sensor. Of late I've become convinced the Trac just doesn't shave close enough without a lot of passes and increased irritation, and Sensor cartridges are ridiculously expensive. I'd like to give the Tracer or Diamond a go, just to see what's what.
Hi Ron -

I liked the Atra and later the Tracer (same as FX) when I used them, but it has been a long time and I don't know how the Tracer would compare to the Trac II and the Sensor. I think the Tracer was Schick's answere to the Sensor, though.

- Murray
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Hey, Murray. You're right about the Tracer/Sensor. Paul(dog) and I have had several discussions about these razors, but I ended up putting the Schick on the back burner for a while. Your post got me to thinking along those lines again. I don't have a problem with cartridge razors, though my preference lies elsewhere. I just find them to be an easy alternative when the muse strikes or I'm rushed -- then the shower-shave becomes a necessity. I'd like to find a good cart version to count on for those times and thought the Trac the easiest of the lot to deal with. But the bloom is definitely off that rose.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree with you John, sometimes a shave is just a step on the way out the door and it sounds like you have struck the good shave quick balance.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, I'd be all thumbs. I'm sure I'd be dropping everything constantly. It sounds like you've got it working for you!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

As an addendum for those members who want to try shower shaving I suggest using one of the disposal razors at first. They are not too slippery when wet and are too light to do much damage if dropped.
Regards,
Squire
Gene

Post by Gene »

I shave in the shower if pressed for time, with an old Mach 3, or one of my injectors.

This morning I used my N2 (Ron - looking at you!), my BBB from C&E and my Arko stick.

Nice shave!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

You're a braver man than me, Gene. I won't take an injector in the shower since I don't have a mirror and I want to see what I'm doing. I guess I have less qualms with a cartridge razor. That N2 is a sweet shaver, nonetheless.
Ron
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

While I don't shave in the shower, I often lather in the shower with a shave stick and a boar brush. I like to see what I'm doing while actually shaving.
John
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I have been shower shaving almost exclusively for several years now. The mirror I bought ages ago from Bed Bath and Beyond has worked perfectly both in reflection using a thin soap film when wet and suction cups secured
to the rear frame with a single rubber band. Ditto for the 2 soap dishes from
the same source.
I find the key to be to lower the water pressure when it comes time for the
shave and take the time to build a proper later. The thing I prefer about this arrangement is that I can face lather without regard to the mess I am making and of course one cant beat the rinse. 8)
John N.

Post by John N. »

Finally got the mirror situation figured out; stuck on the wall when needed, in the shower caddy when not. I could never get the damned thing to stay stuck from day to day. Anyway, as it turns out, my current shower shaves w/mirror are faster, furiouser (?) and even effectiver :wink: ...Duh.
Since I started this thread I have focused on shower shaves, and now I am kind of addicted to them to the detriment of my soaps, brushes and DE razors...a concern...I need to achieve balance. I do not use soaps/creams & brushes in the shower because it would slow the process. Maybe I will try a mild DE down the road.
Shaving with a mirror has made it OK to move away from a pivoting cart. razor (Schick Hydro 3), and I am now using my old Schick M3 Injector (adjustable) with great results. I have settled on a few brushless creams and they are Avalon Organics Unscented, Creamo Cream and The Real Shave Co. Gel. They all hold up well in the shower environment and give a nice close shave.
J.
John N.