5 years

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Cavman

5 years

Post by Cavman »

So I have not touched a can of shaving cream or a multi blade razor since 2006. I would say it's a safe bet I never will again. I settled on the slant barberpole several years ago & have a backup gold std slant I use once in a while. I finally moved to trumpers almond full time, & I want to try Trumpers coconut next puck. Not very experimental but very happy with my choices. Never used after shaves before I spent time on this sight. Happy with Feathers & Israleli IP's. Just wanted to touch in & thank the site.
John

Just smile & wave boys, just smile & wave. (Madagascar)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Congratulations, John, on an occasion worth noting!

I, too, have my five-year anniversary coming up soon and, like you, I have settled on a few favorites.

May the years ahead bring you steady and consistent shaving satisfaction!

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Congrats!

In 5 years I hope I can just remember what year I began blade shaving for keeps. Right now I can only remember the month and it hasn't even been a year yet.

Old fart here. They say the mind is the first thing to go. Or is it the second thing to go? I can't remember. :)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We are all proud of you, son. :wink:

I lost track of my 5 year anniversary -- think it was some time ago ... but can't recall. I didn't have any MWF at the time - life has changed so much over the years ...... :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good to hear from you John, drop by more often.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on all the sentiments already expressed

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
SRD

Post by SRD »

Congrats.
Dave
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi John! Stop by more often!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Cavman

Post by Cavman »

Thanks guys, life has changed since I posted more. Always respected the demeanor here. Plus I really changed my shaving habits. Spent more change on razors than I ever thought I would, but was able to trade or sell most to minimize loss. Tried almost every Merkur & a bunch of oldies before I settled on the slants. I can say with authority I found the best razor for me & I enjoyed the process. I have never regreted a trade, sale purchase or post here. I should investigate some of the now available blade, but II still have a couple hundred feathrs, let alone the IP's. Like thats a bad thing. Only thing I can say is, more Slant, Feather, Trumpers threads!!
John

Cavman

Post by Cavman »

Sorry for the grammer, posting from a Android key board.
John

drumana

Post by drumana »

John - That's a nice kit you've settled on. You are a rare bird for settling on a slant bar, although I don't blame you. I used a Merkur slant for almost a year exclusively and it is the one razor I sometimes regret selling off. Never tried the Barberpole slant, but based on my experience with the regular Barberpole I would assume it's too aggressive for my tastes.
-Andrew-
Cavman

Post by Cavman »

Shaves from the HD were short lived & I tried a Progress before, but when I turned it up, I got major razor burn. I have a tough beard & never get the burn with my slant. The barberpole does give a touch more aggressive shave, but the gold std. is more attractive.
John

jbc

Post by jbc »

Four years in and never touched a can of goop or cartridges ever. Don't quite understand why others use them. Never looking back ever, still got to pull out my str8 once again.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good to see you again John.
Regards,
Squire
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Which brush did you settle on?
harper

Post by harper »

I have been shaving for about 65 years and during this time I have likely bought, used, tried, thrown away, discarded, forgotten about a good many of the razors and blades sold in the US and Canada. Some of them have been excellent, some good, some poor and some lousy. Today I use a Futur set at 2.5 along with a Gillette Power Fusion for shaving my neck because it is difficult to shave (it always has been) and around my moustache. Over the years, I used about as many different kinds of shave soaps and creams as common sense would permit and I don't knock canned creams because they do a very good job ... just aren't as luxurious as the much more expensive British soaps and creams ... and I love a touch of luxury. I am now 81 and I plan to stick with my tried and true Trumper's Almond cream, my Vulfix brush and my Moss scuttle. Life is good and I plan to keep it that way.
harper

Post by harper »

One thing I have not done is fiddle around with a straight. I don't plan to either.