Lost Texan here

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
addylo

Lost Texan here

Post by addylo »

Greetings all! Just thought I'd give a shout out and say howdy.

I'm looking to get started in the sport of wet shaving and have been lurking here for about a week. Looks like a great place to learn!

I made the mistake of telling the wife I was considering trying my hand at wet shaving. She thought it would make a nice Christmas present so I'm in a holding pattern for the moment. I guess it gives me time to read and learn (but it's going to be a long wait).

At the moment I'm planning on getting started with a EJ DE89 and EJ best badger brush. I'd like to move into straights soon too. I'll be on the look out for a first SR.

LOTS of reading to do. Can't wait to get started!
Neal
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Welcome addylo!

Keep in mind that the EJ is an aggressive razor. I estimate that it is appropriate for half of the American male population. Maybe you're in the other half!

I suggest that you also get a mild razor to start with, either a used Gillette or a new Weishi.

Starting with an aggressive razor when a mild is more appropriate can be a painful learning experience!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome Neal! Glad to see you jump right in.

I also recommend a gentle razor for getting started, and I still use a gentle razor because I have sensitive skin. I generally think the Merkurs are on the aggressive side, but the Edwin Jagger is more reasonable. Your proposed razor and brush would be a good start for most. If you have sensitive skin, you might want something milder, as G A suggested. The Weishi is an excellent starting razor and it is especially good for sensitive skin. A vintage Gillette Tech, Super Speed, or Adjustable would also be very good.

Enjoy the journey -

- Murray
addylo

Post by addylo »

Interesting. I hadn't heard the DE89 was aggressive. That's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for.

I was in an Art of Shaving this weekend and drawn to the Merkurs. The 30C especially drew my attention. Would it be less aggressive?

EDIT: Oops! Murray, you already answered my question about the Merkurs. I'll look into the Weishi.
Neal
Captain Pre-Capsize

Post by Captain Pre-Capsize »

Welcome to the zoo here!

You are in for a treat with this hobby. Hint: You ain’t going to save any money but you WILL pick up a new hobby that is very reasonable.

Captain’s Choice bay rum aftershave

http://www.captainschoicestore.com/

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The Merkurs would be more aggressive and not as well made, though they have quite a legion of fans. The Edwin Jagger and Muehle are more "moderate" in my opinion, though I use a gentler razor now myself. Unless your skin is pretty sensitive, you would probably do fine with the EJ you are considering. The EJ brush in best would also be a good choice.

- Murray
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i don't think an ej de89 to be an aggressive razor but everyone is different
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

By the way, Gil is our poster child for brush acquisition disorder, so I would give him a wide berth! :D

- Murray
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Welcome to the forum!
_______
John
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

addylo, my favorite vendor of Weishi razors is Gary at ShoeBox ShaveShop.

Good news! I see that he currently has a 20% off sale on them.

http://shoeboxshaveshop.com/weishi-tto-razors.html
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hello, and welcome to SMF!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Greetings and welcome! I too agree that the DE89 is NOT too aggressive to start with. I have a Mühle R89 which has the same head and it is one of my favorite razors.

One might find, on their quest for the perfect shave, that after starting with a mild razor and perfecting one's technique, then move up to a more aggressive razor, still perfecting one's skill, only to find oneself returning to the milder razor realizing that with better technique that is all that is needed.

But beware of the RAD! (Razor Acquisition Disorder)
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Welcom to SMF. I'll echo the statements that the 89 is not an aggressive razor and is extremely well made.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Howdy!
river1

Re: Lost Texan here

Post by river1 »

addylo wrote: At the moment I'm planning on getting started with a EJ DE89 and EJ best badger brush.!
Welcome and you have an excellent combination as the EJ is one of the best and often overlooked. I started my sil on a EJ brush and SS along with some other combinations. Six months later loves the EJ brush and a "new" SS TV Special Flare tip.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Welcome. I'm a fellow DFW resident and a fellow EJ 89 user. A fine razor and brush choice - I still miss the EJ brush I sold a couple of years back.

Where are you in DFW? PM me if you'd like to get together. I'd be happy to show you the ropes w/r/t lathering, blade angle, etc. You could see some DE options in person, some brushes, etc., which is not always easy to do in Dallas. I'd also gladly forward you a mess of blades and some soaps and creams to try out as you're getting your feet wet, so to speak.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in .

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Welcome to SMF, this is a great community. Case in point:
TRBeck wrote:Where are you in DFW? PM me if you'd like to get together. I'd be happy to show you the ropes w/r/t lathering, blade angle, etc. You could see some DE options in person, some brushes, etc., which is not always easy to do in Dallas. I'd also gladly forward you a mess of blades and some soaps and creams to try out as you're getting your feet wet, so to speak.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in .
Good show Tim! =D>
addylo wrote:I made the mistake of telling the wife I was considering trying my hand at wet shaving. She thought it would make a nice Christmas present so I'm in a holding pattern for the moment. I guess it gives me time to read and learn (but it's going to be a long wait).
So you have to wait until Christmas to get a razor and brush?! Oh the humanity!

Cost wise the set up you want is rather reasonable. Compared to shaving with cartridges it will pay for itself pretty quickly, so you should not have to wait for a special occasion to get started.

If your wife is concerned that she will not have good gift ideas, then you can laugh maniacally and start listing off the other razors, blades, creams, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, shaving bowls, scuttles, display cabinet, etc. that you will be wanting. :twisted:

So I say get your start up kit post haste!
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
SRD

Post by SRD »

Welcome to the gang.
Dave