Greetings and Salivation's from the Deep South (of the USA)

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
michaelramm

Greetings and Salivation's from the Deep South (of the USA)

Post by michaelramm »

Well, I have finally decided to take the plunge into wet shaving. My friend Jason (JayTrek) pointed me to this forum to start my journey. We talked about it last year, but I wasn't really ready...after shelling out $20 for a 4-pk of blades...AGAIN...I have decided that I have had enough.

I am a 40YO IT Manager for a small municipality in Alabama. I have a beautiful wife of 17 years, two kids (9YO boy and 5YO girl) and two dogs (who might have a thing for each other, though both are girls!).

So I have watched a number of videos, and read up on a bunch of stuff. I am NOT an everyday shaver. I usually shave on Sundays and Wednesdays. I cannot grow a full beard, but I can grow a full mustache/goatee (and usually wear it for about 1/3 of each year). I do have rather sensitive skin so I usually use Nineva Sensitive for my aftershave (but I am open to new aftershaves).

I look forward to learning a lot from you pros here, and getting back to a good shave twice a week!

Michael
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Welcome aboard.

-Tye

Contributing Member to the Cause
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Welcome Michael. Hope you learn some useful stuff and perhaps enjoy a bit of innocent consumerism.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Welcome to SMF! After a few weeks and some serious viewing of Mantic59's videos on YouTube I am sure we can get you up to shaving at least seven days a week regardless of how thin your facial hair.

Glad your here!
Good shaving,

Gary
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Welcome aboard, my friend.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome aboard, Michael.

I presume Jason warned you about acquisition disorders, Mitchell's Woolfat Soap and the on-going discussion as to whether Proraso is Italian toothpaste or shaving soap...... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
IceNHL

Post by IceNHL »

Welcome!

Couple of notes because some of your concerns were mine as well as i have only been wetshaving for about a month..

first, i used to only shave twice a week too and thats because i HATED IT! Now that i enjoy it, I look to shave as soon as i see stubble. I went from twice a week (most) to probably 5 or 6.

second, i used to think i had sensitive skin too until i switched over and realized that i didnt need to use products with "sensitive skin!" written on them with wetshaving. I am beginning to think that sensitive skin products are a marketing tactic to get people to not think the tugging and irritation associated with cartridges is weird. Just speculation though. Lesson learned is that with good wetshaving technique, "sensitive skin" is not on my mind anymore. Rather, just a good, close shave!

:D :D :D
-----
UCF KNIGHTS
Please excuse typos as I am mostly posting from an iPad.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hello Michael, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Michael. There are a lot of great guys who frequent this forum, and now you are one of those! It's great to have you here, sir!

(Salivations!) :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Michael! With a DE and good technique you should enjoy less irritation and more frequent shaves!
Regards,
Andy
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum! You'll fit right in.

I bet if you asked a mess of us how many times we shaved with a cartridge compared to now, you'd get the 2-3 times a week before and everyday now. Not because shaving now isn't as efficient, it's more of a reflection on the (for myself) dislike I had for the chore before. Now it's enjoyable.

(Yeah Gary, I liked the salivations too!)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
dosco

Post by dosco »

Welcome to the forum!

Oddly, a few minutes ago I was just thinking how strange it is that I now look forward to shaving.

Enjoy.
Last edited by dosco on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Welcome aboard!
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

diggity

Post by diggity »

Welcome aboard!
Nathan
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Michael, welcome to the forum.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, Michael!

I have very sensitive skin, also, and I shave three times a week. I would be happy to share thoughts with you along the way.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

So I have watched a number of videos,
I'm hoping you saw a few of the 'how to protect yourself from enablers' vids that are mandated to accompany any shave related stuff on U-TuB?

:lol: :lol:

Welcome to smf

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Welcome, Michael! Whether you shave two times a week or ten, what you learn here will make it an enjoyable time.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Glasstream15

Post by Glasstream15 »

Sorry for the late "welcome aboard" from another area of the "Deep South". Or it was Deep South until the Deep North realized it is God's Country.

You will discover that there is a pleasure to be derived from proper shaving. It will take longer than slappin'g on some "goo" and grabbing a Fusion to scrape the growth off your face. But you will look forward to it. There is a tactile pleasure from that brush masaging a good lather into your beard. And then using a properly designed and made razor and blade to get a clean and comfortable shave.

Oh, and one other thing, sorry about your wallet!

You'll understand soon.
Live Free! Die Well!