Facial Scrubs

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Fractal

Facial Scrubs

Post by Fractal »

It seems like more and more of the shaving lines are offering some type of facial scrub. If we effectively "exfoliate" with a razor blade every one or two days, do we really need to use a facial scrub?

Opinions?
paddy

Post by paddy »

there are parts of your face that you don't shave. i use a scrub there.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
harper

Post by harper »

I use a facial scrub because it softens my beard and saves me from washing a couple of times before I apply a small amount of Coral Skin Food before lathering. I only began using a facial scrub about 1.5 years ago and I find it does a good job for me. I was using Nivea but switched to Gillette's facial scrub which works just as well but is about half the price of Nivea.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Fractal I don't use them because they don't improve my shave. I suspect more than a few of these items are me too products designed to compete with the competitor's latest creations.
Regards,
Squire
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

It seems like more and more of the shaving lines are offering some type of facial scrub. If we effectively "exfoliate" with a razor blade every one or two days, do we really need to use a facial scrub?
No. You do NOT need to use an exfoliant. Some men like an exfoliating pre-shave wash, but it is by no means a necessary prerequisite for a good shave.

Like Squire, I don't use an exfoliant, because I found that it it does not improve my shave. In fact, for me, it's a bad idea.

However, as I say, some gents swear by it. It's another one of these "vive la difference" deals that are so common when discussing shaving.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

If I go several days without shaving, and have been outdoors a lot (skiing, beaching, etc.,) I will often exfoliate a day or two before I plan my next shave. But it's certainly not a daily thing at all for me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

jww wrote:If I go several days without shaving, and have been outdoors a lot (skiing, beaching, etc.,) I will often exfoliate a day or two before I plan my next shave. But it's certainly not a daily thing at all for me.
Same here. On days that I do not shave I (gently) use a facial Buf-Puf in the shower rather than a scrub.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Depending on your skin and beard characteristics a facial scrub can be useful but as you can see from the responses this has some variability involved. I find the need to use a scrub at least once or twice a week to support by morning and evening routines. My shaves usually do improve along with preventing any ingrowns along my neck and jawline. As with most things we do, moderation is the key, the best thing is to try it for yourself, monitor your results and then form your own opinion. There are some great products out there to try from mild to aggressive just keep things in perspective.
Good shaving,

Gary