Worst single shave???!!!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Another informed post from a former Lazer user.
Regards,
Squire
ateace

Post by ateace »

Well, there were countless bad shaves in the early years, mostly with canned gel or foam and a cartridge or disposable.
Little or no prep was usually the cuprit, along with a dose of poor technique.

More recently, in the DE era:

Easter Sunday, four years ago. I'd just gotten a '48 -'50 Super Speed and it cleaned up so nicely that I had to use it, even though there wasn't adequate time for a DE shave.

As I sped through the shave (with the abandon I usually reserve for a cartridge), I made a vertical gash in my upper lip that opened up a geyser. Not even a giant styptic could stop the bleeding. I had toilet paper on the wound for the whole ride to the restaurant and had to endure the gasps and questions from the relatives.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

It took 2 bad shaves to make my worst shave....

My first bad shave involved lightfoot's soap. it left my skin raw and tender, since, for me, it was like taking everything bad ever said about Williams, concentrating it, and forming a soap out of it! A thin, quickly drying lather that offered no protection.

The next day I *should* have taken it easy, but I decided to try a black feather some one had mailed to me! Now I like feather blades, and sharp blades in general, so I figured I'd love what was alegedly an even sharper feather. Well either the edge had been damaged in transit, or else it was a feather that was never intended for shaving, because it felt like shaving with a mixture of sandpaper and an epilady. I did finish the shave out of pure stubebrness, and.. Owch!
Shavetools.com Traditional products for modern wet shavers: Vie-Long brushes, Merkur razors, and more.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I do not know about the single worst shave, but several really bad ones comes to mind.

There was the time I was overseas (Switzerland), and in stupidity I only decided to take a Trac II razor with me to save luggage weight. I usually travel with a cheap DE and a disposable for backup. Halfway through the two week trip, the Trac II broke, and I had to shave holding the blade without the razor. I could not find a place to buy disposable razors. I finally got an emergency shaving kit from one of the hotels a few days later.

Numerous times I have cut my fingers on my straight, because I was not watching my fingers.

I shaved one day with my DE half open. That was a terrible shave.
Ed
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Worst single shave???!!!

Post by notthesharpest »

harper wrote:Do you remember the worst single shave you ever had? Do you have any ideas why it was the worst? Do you remember when?
I was a recent - but not TOO recent - newbie in shaving with a double-edge razor. I had acquired a Futur. And some Feather blades. And decided to open the adjustment knob a little farther.

You may be familiar with the satisfying sound and feel of sinking a dart into a dart board. Well, a chin can pretty nearly duplicate that sound and feel - except that somehow the satisfaction is just not the same. :(
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I forgot about the two times I tried to shave in the kitchen sink. I grabbed my wife's mirror from the bathroom, and went to work in the kitchen. Both times I had a really diffiicult time seeing what I was doing because there was little light. I ended up shaving part of my lip both times. That is smarts. I will wait for the all clear in the bathroom from now on.
Ed
mike'sworld

Post by mike'sworld »

Learning to shave with a straight. I did not cut myself, I was too careful, but suffered terrible irritation. I think that was the hardest part of learning to shave with a straight, keeping the blade angle correct to avoid irritation.
I smell like a Moldovan grandfather
Raag

Post by Raag »

Gouging a chunk of my lip out with a Gilette Fusion way back in the day. I don't even know how I did it.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ouch!!! :evil:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

My worst ever shave is an easy one to remember. It was a case of trying to do too much and not knowing when to stop. The resulting shave was the smoothest I've ever had, my skin felt like glass and my stubble didn't grow back for about 3 or 4 days. No nicks or cuts either, just a nice even burn that left my skin raw and made it look like I'd been out in the sun for far longer than was advisable. When my stubble did finally grow back it was almost painful, I didn't shave again for nearly two weeks as it took that long for my face to recover.

Closer isn't always necessarily better.
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."