D.R. Harris - New Range & Royal Warrant

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

bernards66 wrote:Gareth, Interesting. Thanks, I hadn't caught that. Congrats. to D R Harris although I'm rather used to them holding two Royal Warrants. Their first was from the current Queen's mother and was granted in the 1930s. The second wasn't until 2002, shortly before HRH's grandmother passed away. I started using their products somewhere in the mid-1990s so the packaging displayed the coat of arms of the 'Queen Mum' for the first number of years that I was using them. 'Windsor' eh?....well, we'll see. I choose to be mildly hopeful. I think that they really do offer superlative products and I appreciate the fact that they are still in the hands of the founding family over 200 years later. I was very sad and disappointed when the re-formulated their A/S Milk but...sigh....nobody's perfect I suppose.
Regards,
Gordon
A useless bit of information for you guys, and especially Robert since he now owns the Coates brand....

Every year, for many years, we used to make handmade bone handle toothbrushes (under our Coates brand) for Trevor Harris at D.R. Harris that would end up at Clarence House. Her Majesty The Queen Mother used to give them to her staff as Christmas presents every year. This fell under D.R. Harris' warrant from the Queen Mother.

Gary
Gary
Persius

Post by Persius »

A useless bit of information for you guys, and especially Robert since he now owns the Coates brand....
Although I am a Republican Brit, i still think that that is far from useless, Gary: very cool story!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:I imagine the new Windsor line is already circulating around and causing an air of excitement within the gentlemen's shaving and grooming quarters, wouldn't you think?
Endorsed by Kate and Willls no doubt? Wills for product quality, and Kate for shave results quality --- "Mmm luvey - your face is smooth as our soon-to-be newborn's posterior area" Wills replies "Yes indeed m'luv, and I smell much better too!"

And before anyone jumps on me for this one -- I am only kidding --- really I am! :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Persius

Post by Persius »

jww wrote: And before anyone jumps on me for this one -- I am only kidding --- really I am! :D
It'll be in the Daily Mail & the Telegraph by the end of the day!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Persius wrote:
jww wrote: And before anyone jumps on me for this one -- I am only kidding --- really I am! :D
It'll be in the Daily Mail & the Telegraph by the end of the day!
Yup -- News of the World would have been all over this I am sure. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

I was in London today for a couple of business meetings and called into D.R. Harris for a 'catch up' with Alison the Managing Director. We had a good chat for well over an hour, chatting about the good old days. On some of their shop shelves they have mini displays of some of the older products/specials that they used to sell. Funnily enough they still have one of our bone handled toothbrushes that used to go to Clarence House.
Gary
Bugsy

Post by Bugsy »

Do we know when the new product will be available?
Bugsy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Aha!....so it's not yet available?...so no one here has the slightest idea how these 'Windsor' products actually smell? Just askin'....
Regards,
Gordon
sunflake

Post by sunflake »

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but you can search the Warrants here.
http://www.royalwarrant.org/index.php
My name is Patrick and I'm Proraso addict and love it!
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

GA Russell wrote:
Although I have no use for royalty, this makes more sense to me than our situation in the US, where athletes are paid huge sums to endorse products for which they claim no expertise, like Gillette being endorsed by Tiger Woods and Nascar drivers.
I agree. I could care less what brand of pantyhose Joe Namath wore.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think somebody said that if a NBA player starts wearing a certain brand of tennis shoes (is that what they call those nowadays?) they start getting stolen and kids that have some are getting their shoes stolen from off their feet and they sell for a lot of money. I'd judge the IQ and the value to society of somebody who'd beat somebody up or pay hundreds of dollars just to have the same brand of shoes as a mulit-billionaire ballplayer as somewhere south of zero. That's the ones who get all lathered up when a celebrity endorses something.

I guess when Namath wore his stockings a lot of guys bought some and kept them in the glove box. At least that's what they used to say when their wife opened the glove box and found a pair stuck in there.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
paddy

Post by paddy »

don't you mean you could not care less?
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

paddy wrote:
don't you mean you could not care less?
Highly likely that he does mean exactly what you said, but here in America "I could care less" is a fairly frequent colloquialism, despite the fact that it doesn't really make much sense.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
sunflake

Post by sunflake »

I just thought it sounded interesting to see who had a royal warrant for shaving gear. I haven't used any UK creams or soaps so I have no idea who makes good stuff. Is any of the products with a warrant any good or like everything else, there is better stuff out there.
My name is Patrick and I'm Proraso addict and love it!
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

sunflake wrote:Is any of the products with a warrant any good or like everything else, there is better stuff out there.
Generally, nowadays, perhaps better than average but there are others that are better.