Why I shave

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Why I shave

Post by KAV » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:57 pm

I woke,predawn today and paid extra attention to my shave. I used a new Super Iridium, distilled water instead of tap and paid extra attentiveness to my technique.
A fellow churchman picked me up in a heavy rain. He noted my sandalwood from Meehan's. We drove to our church; traditonal onion domed russian orthodox. It looks like the fishing boat in Close Encounters. This is now a largely chicano area after the post WW2 russian emigrees' children moved from agricultural jobs and the nieghborhood.
We walked in, lit our beeswax candles, kissed the ikon as the deacons chanted, incense clouded the breaking dawn;itself broken by a storm so that the light on stained glass diffused into a kaliedoscope of colours.
Liturgy over, we lingered before going to earthly pursuits. The priest gave his blessings, and from a full, grey beard,symbol of wisdom, combed over silk vestments and gold and silver pectoral cross-said "Christopher! you have soap in your left ear #-o"

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Sheer brilliance.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:15 pm

I had a similar experience with the Bishop at a men's prayer breakfast when I took him aside and said "your fly is open".
Regards,
Squire

brothers

Post by brothers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Wendell, sometimes I wonder why guys like us don't seem to have these pivotal moments as often as our friend Chris, then I realize he has the gift of seeing everyday things from a unique vantage point, and then he's able to put it into a couple of highly expressive sentences that seem to open the window for the rest of us. Thanks Chris.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic/boar/badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Squire wrote:I had a similar experience with the Bishop at a men's prayer breakfast when I took him aside and said "your fly is open".
Possibly an ominous sign, these days!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:26 pm

ROTFLMAO!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square

Persius

Post by Persius » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:14 am

Glad it's not just me!!!

I now double-, triple-check each ear every time I shave, just to avoid ...

KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Science and theology teaches the universe abhors disorder. My bathroom counter post shave looks like a theater set for Sweeny Todd less blood but with flecks of soap,water,discarded blade wrapper, drained cup of tea and Pyewacket's paw prints.
I do clean up with the attention of a criminal VS a Crime Scene Investigator
and the irrational fear David Suchet/Poirot might knock on the door.
Grooming is becoming a compulsive disorder in a society seemingly bent on reversing my opening sentence.
We need a new sub forum on bathroom towels.

brothers

Post by brothers » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:59 pm

KAV wrote:We need a new sub forum on bathroom towels.
Those of us who don't do the laundry might be able to learn a thing or two from those of us who do! For example, I've always wondered how much starch and softener to add to load of towels, and what would be the best means of ironing and folding them properly.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic/boar/badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Gary, I thought that you said that men don't use fabric softener! LOL!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed

Gene

Post by Gene » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:03 am

GA Russell wrote:Gary, I thought that you said that men don't use fabric softener! LOL!
I don't think many men do. Or would, left to their own devices.

BUT...their wives do. That's how a woman can tell you are married - the the fabric softener your wife uses is like a scent marker to other ladies that you are spoken for.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore

Persius

Post by Persius » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:39 am

brothers wrote:
Those of us who don't do the laundry might be able to learn a thing or two from those of us who do! For example, I've always wondered how much starch and softener to add to load of towels, and what would be the best means of ironing and folding them properly.
As a chap who does laundry, the answer is that you should add neither to a wash including towels; makes them less adsorbent. I hate that I know that, but I do ...

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Persius wrote:
brothers wrote:
As a chap who does laundry, the answer is that you should add neither to a wash including towels; makes them less adsorbent. I hate that I know that, but I do ...
I'm in the same boat, Persius. But then doing "domestic" chores has never bothered me, as I firmly believe that if you want it done right you do it yourself...sorry SWMBO. As for the church hierarchy "whispering sweet nothings in my ear", let's not go there.

2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 am

Rufus wrote:...doing "domestic" chores has never bothered me, as I firmly believe that if you want it done right you do it yourself...sorry SWMBO...
Completely agree, Rufus, and besides, I don't want the love of my life doing my s-work, and she hates it when I try to do hers. I do my own laundry, and she gets the oil changed in her car.

In between our chores, we make beautiful music together.

--Glenn

m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:17 am

I believe some years ago Neil Young warbled out " A Man Needs a Maid" but old single curmudgeons like moi have learned to take on all domestic chores in order to survive. The no fabric softener with towels rule was ingrained aeons ago. :lol:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits

Persius

Post by Persius » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 am

2clfrwrds wrote:I don't want the love of my life doing my s-work, and she hates it when I try to do hers.
Amen!

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:53 am

brothers wrote:
We have found the best bathroom towels by far are the Turkish towels sold by Restoration Hardware, interestingly enough. They are heavy duty, highly absorbent, well- priced and very durable. I note that LL Bean also has Turkish bathroom towels, but we haven't tried them yet. We'd like to try the Bean towels, as we're long time committed Bean shoppers, but are reluctant to given how much we like the Restoration Harware towels. Anyone here tried Bean?

celestino

Post by celestino » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Very nice! i love it when that happens to me!

slackskin

Post by slackskin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:04 pm

brothers wrote: Those of us who don't do the laundry might be able to learn a thing or two from those of us who do! For example, I've always wondered how much starch and softener to add to load of towels, and what would be the best means of ironing and folding them properly.
You actually IRON towels? Gee, Gary, I respectfully think you need a shrink. If he says you are normal, then come to my house please!

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 am

I was sitting in the pew about three weeks ago, about to get up and teach Bible Class and my 15-year-old daughter said the same thing to me, KAV. Thankfully, I am one to carry a handkerchief. The guys who use electric shavers can't have this much fun!
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 52 years!