A Call To Arms

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
BullGoose
Vendor

A Call To Arms

Post by BullGoose » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:44 pm

A professor from the Harvard Business School recently wrote a blog about Gillette where he passes off as fact that double edge razors produce more nicks and cuts than cartridge razors. Perhaps we ought to weigh in. Make sure to read the article first.

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/04/how_pg_ ... -499179141
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Czech & Speake, Taylor of Old Bond Street, Geo F. Trumper, D.R. Harris, Kent, Edwin Jagger and More

- Phil

divotmax

Post by divotmax » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks for the link. I made my comments to the article. Seems like most of the article focused on marketing techniques and hype rather than on the actual performance of cartridge razors. Typical Gillette.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.

2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks, Phil, this piece of marketing needs to be exposed for what it is. It pissed me off, and I laid into it.

--Glenn

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:51 am

thanks.

clive

p.s. nice to see you out and about Glenn
de gustibus non est disputandum

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:46 am

+3

A waste of someone's time to write this marketing drivel. An even larger waste of mine to bother to comment on the general ignorance of the male population who don't enjoy shaving and wish they never had to do so. Sad commentary on society - Prince Albert would be truly unhappy.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?

Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:02 am

Corporate brainwashing through marketing.

I appreciate people should have choice, that's fine. But we should be allowed to choose, but we cannot if the big manufacturers aren't prepared to produce the DE razors and blades. Whats worse I believe is that in time the P&G's of this world will eventually buy out all other production then we won't have the choice. :cry:

Sorry angry here from the UK...
John

gil3591

Post by gil3591 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:09 am

i don't wish to be a heretic here, but, i think a de does give me more nicks and cuts than a cartridge. that being said,,, i'll still go with the de!
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer

Seamaster

Post by Seamaster » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:35 am

I'll take the odd nick over daily razor burn and ingrowns.

Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:42 am

It is possible to nick yourself using a cartridge razor as well, they failed to mention that..................although it was a long long time ago...
John

paddy

Post by paddy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:46 am

nicking myself with a DE is a pretty rare event for me, i'm talking about once a year. from memory it was a pretty similar story when i used cartridges.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 am

I believe that proper technique will always win out, and that you can use proper technique with a cartridge - DE razors are far easier for me to use, I believe, because of the fewer moving parts. As many of us here on SMF, I have used electric, cartridge and injector. The DE gives me by far the best results of all the above options.

ymmv
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?

vtmax

Post by vtmax » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:16 am

No nicks here. Proper prep combined with great blades and DE razors. I thought of this and smiled driving by Gillette's base while passing through Boston Sunday.

Max

celestino

Post by celestino » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks, Phil! Terrible journalism as he never checks his facts. i am sure he has never even tried a DE razor!

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:11 pm

I experience no more nicks with a safety razor than I did with a multi-blade...even with a Futur loaded with a Feather and set at 4.

And I am now sans ingrown hairs...so I win!!!
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...

cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:42 pm

I was not offended by this article (other than the fawning tone). It states that Indian men shave:
seated on the floor, with perhaps a small amount of still water, balancing a hand-held mirror in low light, and experiencing frequent nicks and cuts from his double-edged razor.
I've never shaved under these conditions, but it is reasonable to believe that a cartridge razor would result in fewer nicks (just look at the size of that comb).

The article is about creating a razor that will be more appealing than commodity DEs without being so good that it cannibalizes the market for Fusions.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.

celar36

Post by celar36 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:28 am

interesting piece on Gillette Guard
http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/10/1 ... tte-guard/
Jack

joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:05 am

With the greatest respect, if DEs were/are better to shave with than cartridges then cartridges wouldn't have got a look in.

If something no work, people no buy. Simples!

RazoRock

Post by RazoRock » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:57 am

joe mcclaine wrote:With the greatest respect, if DEs were/are better to shave with than cartridges then cartridges wouldn't have got a look in.

If something no work, people no buy. Simples!
I know lot of people that have used both DEs and Cartridge razors and prefer a cartridge razor. My Father inlaw (an ex-Italian barber) knows how to use a straight razor better than anyone else I know... the night before my wedding he gave me the best shave of my life with a straight, but he only uses a 3 blade gillette cartridge on himself and gets great shaves. He also swears he gets about 15-20 shaves from each cartridge... go figure! His theory is... it's the amazing prep that leads to a great shave, not the blade... and amazing prep also extends the life of a blade.

I much prefer a DE, it's just a lot more fun and enjoyable to shave with, but I can't really knock the cartridge razors because I agree with the point above... if they really sucked that bad, they simply would not sell.

Now the prices of cartridges, that's a completely different story. $4-5 for a replacement cartridge is all-out rape by Gillette. But, they are capitalists, I guess if people are buying them at $5, why would they lower the price?

I use the Gillette guard razor to shave my head (and I also sell it). It's a great razor for head shaving because it doesn't clog and the pivot makes navigating the contours of the head really easy.

Different strokes for different folks. My view was always... if you have the proper prep, use the right products (preferable a nice brush and soap, IMO), you can get a great shave with any sharp blade.

gsgo

Post by gsgo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:19 am

After reading the article and following the thread I still come to the conclusion that good preparation and technique play a more significant roll than the razor used. Good shaves can be had with any well designed razor and blade provided one follows the sound guidelines we have all uncovered for ourselves.

Judging by the success of the Guard which we have noted before it is inevitable, the wave has started.

We each should be happy that today we enjoy the broadest selection of products to indulge in our hobby than at any previous time. Whether your shaves comes from using a cartridge, DE, SE, straight or other, let's just enjoy the fact that we get so much pleasure from this simple and mundane hygenic task.
Good shaving,

Gary

LouisIII

Post by LouisIII » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:51 pm

I know lot of people that have used both DEs and Cartridge razors and prefer a cartridge razor. My Father inlaw (an ex-Italian barber) knows how to use a straight razor better than anyone else I know... the night before my wedding he gave me the best shave of my life with a straight, but he only uses a 3 blade gillette cartridge on himself and gets great shaves. He also swears he gets about 15-20 shaves from each cartridge... go figure! His theory is... it's the amazing prep that leads to a great shave, not the blade... and amazing prep also extends the life of a blade.

I much prefer a DE, it's just a lot more fun and enjoyable to shave with, but I can't really knock the cartridge razors because I agree with the point above... if they really sucked that bad, they simply would not sell.

Now the prices of cartridges, that's a completely different story. $4-5 for a replacement cartridge is all-out rape by Gillette. But, they are capitalists, I guess if people are buying them at $5, why would they lower the price?

I use the Gillette guard razor to shave my head (and I also sell it). It's a great razor for head shaving because it doesn't clog and the pivot makes navigating the contours of the head really easy.

Different strokes for different folks. My view was always... if you have the proper prep, use the right products (preferable a nice brush and soap, IMO), you can get a great shave with any sharp blade.
other way round for me. Much rather use Gillette foamy and a good DE/DE blade that the nicest lather and a cartridge.

I thought I was in a minority here at SMF but this thread suggests otherwise: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49941
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~