Cartridge razor

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
celar36

Cartridge razor

Post by celar36 »

So I was thinking to buy something handy for travel and just for quick shave.
What you would recommend ?

I am looking at Gillette Trac II or Sensor Excel. Maybe you have something better in a mind :?:

Opinions?
Jack
dosco

Post by dosco »

Bic single-edge razors. You can buy a bag of 12 for a few bucks.

Using a 3-pass shave I found the Bics to be surprisingly comfortable and effective.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The last 2 times I was away from home I used Personna disposables. Next time, maybe I'm going to try to remember to take the Gillette Guard. Might be fun.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Any cheap disposable will do.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I also prefer the Bics as any multi-blade set-up gives me problems. Fortunately, most of the time I've traveled by air I have checked luggage so I can take whatever I want.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Schick at times puts BOGO (Buy one, get one free) coupons in the Sunday paper for their disposables. Wal-Mart carries one of their twin-blade disposables in bags of 10 that does not appear on Schick's Web site, but they work quite nicely for me. With the BOGO coupon, cost for two bags of 10 is less than 10¢ per razor. The protective cap is a built-in part of the head and slides over the blades for storage. One less thing to keep track of while travelling.

I keep one or two in my travel kit and in my gym bag for use at the health club, just in case.
95%

Post by 95% »

There's no need to skimp on comfort just because you're traveling. The Gillette ProGlide is an improvement over previous generations of cartridges, and with its protective cover it travels just as well as a disposable. You can store it for long periods of time between uses without worrying that the blades will become dull. (But I wouldn't buy the powered version as the battery could die at the wrong time.) The razor is packed with one cartridge and costs about $10.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Economy is one reason Porter but what I like is they are available at my destination.
Regards,
Squire
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I recommend the Schick Hydro. Available everywhere, and (for me) works better than any other cartridge ever made.

If you want to be more traditionalist and (by SMF standards) more purist, you might lay hands on some Wilkinson Bondeds. Not made anymore, but they were excellent.
ateace

Post by ateace »

One argument for a cartridge versus a disposable is that cartridges contribute a little less plastic waste over time.

And, for me, cartridges generally give a more comfortable shave.
celar36

Post by celar36 »

OK Thx for all input. I decide after time that the best choice will be famous in Poland disposal Polsilver II. I had been always much like by older generation of Polish man as go to razor (even instead of safety razor or mach 3 etc..)

+ its extremely cheap price around £0.20-25 a piece.

http://allegro.pl/polsilver-ii-maszynka ... 62120.html
Jack
slojam

Post by slojam »

good choice!
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

My favorite cartridge razor is my vintage Wilkinson Bonded :wink:
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have never seen the Polsilver II -- but it looks remarkably similar to a Bic Sensitive, my go-to air-travel shaving companion.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

About 30 years ago Schick introduced a new disposable in bags of 5 for 50 cents. The drugstore had a half price sale so I figured Schick would make their new model as sharp as they could to compete with the existing Gillette disposables which wer better than their previous model. I took ou a $20 bill and filled my cart. Still have the last bag of those and used one my last trip. But now I buy the BIC steels that Walgreen sells.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good old Bic is hard to beat, not only in razors, but the ball point pens too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

brothers wrote:Good old Bic is hard to beat, not only in razors, but the ball point pens too.
..........don't forget the great lathering BIC shaving creams !!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I confess I never heard of Bic shaving creams, and now they're not listed on the Bic website. However, I did forget the highly popular Bic lighters!
Gary

mike'sworld

Post by mike'sworld »

For me, Gillette multi blade technology peaked with the Sensor. Before I found vintage shaving, I tried every new Gillette razor as it came out and never found one as smooth as the Sensor.
I smell like a Moldovan grandfather
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My son likes Sensors too so I gave him my cash of bladea and a handle. I prefer the latest version of the Fusion. Most forgiving blade I have ever used and costliest. Not the closest, but I polish either with a new Feather blade or my favorite: a Persona Tungsten steel injector, which is the most manuverable razor I ever used. Just not quite as forgiveng. And I can't get any more of those wonderful blades.
Ouchmychin (Pete)