I REALLY LIKE THIS PLACE! (LONGISH RANT)

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
JRTASTER

I REALLY LIKE THIS PLACE! (LONGISH RANT)

Post by JRTASTER »

Like many of you, I lurk and post on one or more other "wet-shaving" sites.
But SHAVEMYFACE is certainly the site where I turn to find a less judgmental and more inclusive tone and substance in post and replies.

And with less clutter (which naturally arises when people post whatever comes to mind, regardless of relevancy) and fewer repetitive threads (e.g. "please tell me- for the umpteenth time, lol- the best Simpson brush for face-lathering" or "which do you prefer, soaps or creams"), it's so much easier to obtain solid info and opinion from respected members.

Some of the other sites remind me of call-in sports radio....people love to hear themselves speak (or see themselves in print) and will throw out the most outrageous, irrelevant "thought" simply because the opportunity is there! Meanwhile suggesting that someone with a different view is simply "ignorant!"

For me, other sites appear to be populated-if not dominated- by the O/C types...I can imagine an Adrian Monk posting on other sites, wondering how many revolutions the ball in a roll-on deodorant travels in its lifetime.

I am afraid that a newcomer to wet-shaving stumbling on to one of those forums could easily infer this wonderfully UNcomplicated, amazingly enjoyable hobby/pastime/whatever wet-shaving experience is FAR more complicated than it really is and thereby be discouraged from pursuing it further.

On re-reading my post, I realize I myself come off a bit judgmental and anti-democratic because I give comments , suggestions, and advice from Gordon and Dr Chris and many others here far more important than that of some opiniated instant expert yahoo on (insert name of some other website)!

If I am, so be it....thanks to all here whose contributions make SMF a great place to learn and be educated!!
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Well said.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

OK, Mr. Smartypants, just how many revolutions does the ball in a roll-on deodorant travel in its lifetime?

(By the way, have you not seen Sam's postings about what tie to wear?)

Dave
brothers

Post by brothers »

Vince! Is that you! How you doin' bud?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Dave T wrote:OK, Mr. Smartypants, just how many revolutions does the ball in a roll-on deodorant travel in its lifetime?

(By the way, have you not seen Sam's postings about what tie to wear?)

Dave
Go to (name another forum) to ask the question about roll-ons; someone there will tell you.. to within 10 revolutions....and then 100 others will dispute that answer.

And no, Sam's necktie post has thus far eluded me or vice versa. Are bowties included?? or only four-in-hand or Windsor knots. OMG, my mind is boggled (too easily recently)!

That's another thing about SMF, people here seem to understand and appreciate humour, and mild, non-aggressive, sarcasm. The O/C's elsewhere simply don't get it!

jr/john
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

JR,

I should have added, which I'll do now, that you expressed my beliefs about this and other forums - not just other shaving forums - succinctly. I appreciate your putting it into the right words. I couldn't have done better.

Dave
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Well said.
+1

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

THANKS FOR THE NICE WORDS ABOUT OUR LITTLE PLACE ON THE INTERNET

i think we all feel this way too..

plus its really nice having another Jersey guy goin us

marc
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

marsos52 wrote:THANKS FOR THE NICE WORDS ABOUT OUR LITTLE PLACE ON THE INTERNET

i think we all feel this way too..

plus its really nice having another Jersey guy goin us

marc
OMG, Marc, dare I admit that I have forgotten to update my profile. Just moved to Cape Cod two weeks ago, after almost 50 years living in NJ (well, 50 less two years in London and another two in FL, both absences work-dictated)!

BUT, and it's a big but, I'm still married to a classy Jersey Girl! So there is some redemption in that fact, I hope.

And thanks for the kind words....as suggested my comments merely reflect the sentiments of most here, where civility and sanity still prevail and flourish.

John
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, yes John, I agree with you.

I think of it as the forum with the "older" gents, sort of like the old time barbershop I remember from my childhood. I was the kid then, and I still feel that at least somewhat I'm still the kid in the barbershop despite my age. But the gents tolerate my presence.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Very kind. The trick is to make the place the kind of club to which you would love to belong. This takes the participation of all the members, and a certain amount of housecleaning. Eventually it shakes down into something worthwhile. Maybe not dazzling or groundbreaking, but more like a scruffy pair of old shoes you find more comfortable than anything new and smart. Now all forums serve their purposes, and there will be guys out there who want a noisy, brash place, or who like guns and politics mixed with their shaving (I get misfires when I keep blackpowder in the bathroom). Some of the more recent small forums have the potential to grow into pleasant and respectable places. All this is as it should be. I'm not going to claim we are the best, merely that we are the best place for those of us that like this style of club. Of course, all things pass, and our aging software and odd ownership arrangement don't bode well for the long term. Someone with the time and phpBB knowledge - I have neither - ought to buy the site from Vince and see that it continues in the same vein. Hopefully our new overlord won't be too rapacious in terms of asking for financial support (a dollar a year from each registered member would easily cover it) as we have been spoilt by Vince's generosity.
So thanks to Vince, and thanks to all members who make the place what it is!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for this thread and the sentiments expressed

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I like the layout of the older forum templates and have never experienced an issue with stability on this site and since 2005 can't remember it being down for an extended time period.

That being said, the latest and greatest never hurts. 1 dollar ehh? Must be in CDN currency, as the mighty Loonie be soarin over the Yankee greenback. Well not really. Hard to take a currency with such a silly name seriously, so it's fun to poke fun when opportunity arrives.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

drmoss_ca wrote:Very kind. The trick is to make the place the kind of club to which you would love to belong. This takes the participation of all the members, and a certain amount of housecleaning. Eventually it shakes down into something worthwhile. Maybe not dazzling or groundbreaking, but more like a scruffy pair of old shoes you find more comfortable than anything new and smart. Now all forums serve their purposes, and there will be guys out there who want a noisy, brash place, or who like guns and politics mixed with their shaving (I get misfires when I keep blackpowder in the bathroom). Some of the more recent small forums have the potential to grow into pleasant and respectable places. All this is as it should be. I'm not going to claim we are the best, merely that we are the best place for those of us that like this style of club. Of course, all things pass, and our aging software and odd ownership arrangement don't bode well for the long term. Someone with the time and phpBB knowledge - I have neither - ought to buy the site from Vince and see that it continues in the same vein. Hopefully our new overlord won't be too rapacious in terms of asking for financial support (a dollar a year from each registered member would easily cover it) as we have been spoilt by Vince's generosity.
So thanks to Vince, and thanks to all members who make the place what it is!

Chris
Chris, a somber aspect I hadn't considered...I was too focused on the present to consider the longer-term. Hopefully, the same generous spirit which fosters the cameraderie seen/felt here will be there to provide the financial support when it is needed!
Meanwhile, keep your powder and wit dry and your brush wet.
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

This is still the only forum I really and truly continue to be active on -- even with my love for photography and footie, I only spend time with this forum. The community here has become that important to me over the years that I have been a member.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Whenever I log in and see all the familiar names and years of knowledge it 'just' feels right. We are aging well.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind sentiments. It certainly feels good to be appreciated and as Chris wrote, all of us involved 'old timer' or 'newbie' alike make SMF what it is. This idea of the forum being a sort of 'gentlemen's club' carried over to SMF from the original wetshaving forum on MSN and we have always tried to maintain that atmosphere. I was a moderator on that old MSN forum and early on here Chris asked me if I would sign on for the same role at SMF. I'm glad I did as it has been most enjoyable and rewarding. I'm glad you like our particular style and feel at home here.
Regards,
Gordon
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I have certainly always found this place to be one of the friendliest places online. We have some great members here.

Gareth
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We are the best at what we are . . . the Trumper's of web shaving sites.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I belong to several shaving forums, including one in Portugal and one in Spain. Even so, this was my first such forum and it is still my "home" forum where I spend the most time. I, too, like the mature, gentlemanly atmosphere here at SMF.

- Murray