Shaved my dad this morning...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Icarus1

Shaved my dad this morning...

Post by Icarus1 »

and discovered that my razor needs to be sharpened badly! Sorry dad!
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.
JRTASTER

Re: Shaved my dad this morning...

Post by JRTASTER »

Hi,
Better keep him away from his solicitor. lest he write you out of his will!

But what a beautiful gesture on your part!!

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

Ha! He asked me, believe it or not. It was a really crappy job below the neck if I do say so myself. Like I said, I need to sharpen it and it kept pulling.
—Coltrane

Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Should have used a new "DE" Blade instead of what I assume was a STR8. STR8s are hard to maintain unless you have a lot of experience where as DE's are usually sharp from the get go (depending on the brand).

Check you Dad's will, it may have changed. :mrgreen:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

Racso_MS wrote:Should have used a new "DE" Blade instead of what I assume was a STR8. STR8s are hard to maintain unless you have a lot of experience where as DE's are usually sharp from the get go (depending on the brand).

Check you Dad's will, it may have changed. :mrgreen:
Maybe, but I'm committed to straights! After I've mastered maintaining those, maybe I'll move on to DE. Really, if I were going to be authentic I'd start out with a sharp rock, but as it stands, I think I'm doing okay. :P
—Coltrane

oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

You're a lucky man!
I gave my father his last shaves. Not that it matters; but I do wish I could go go back in time with what I know now and give him the best shaves of his life.
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln
brothers

Post by brothers »

Coltrane, I think you're doing okay too. I'm sorry I don't have any sharpening stones for you. When you get into the realm of keeping your razors sharp, it will feel pretty darn good.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

brothers wrote:Coltrane, I think you're doing okay too. I'm sorry I don't have any sharpening stones for you. When you get into the realm of keeping your razors sharp, it will feel pretty darn good.
Yeah, unfortunately I'm thinking I might have to bite the bullet and buy one new. I'll start looking into them. I just started a new (old) job, though, and my birthday is in less than two weeks, so I'll have some spending money to devote. Larry at WhippedDog has a "Quarter-Norton" set for $60, but I can get the full size one at Amazon for about $110. I shouldn't be agonizing over it, but it's what I do before I buy things. :roll:
—Coltrane

btafan

Post by btafan »

I gave my dad a motley assortment of my beginner shaving stuff along with Leisureguy's book. I'm still learning so I couldn't give him a lot of tips and didn't know if he would even bother, but I was encouraged by his reminiscing of the DE shaving his dad and grandad used. When he smelled some of my sandalwood he said when he smelled it he smelled his grandfather from decades ago, so that was reassuring. Me and my dad rarely talk these days just because we're not good talkers, especially through the phone or text. But today he texted "Sweet shave," and my heart jumped because he actually got it to work unlike me when I first started, and that he texted me about something that wasn't just about computer help or something mundane as usual. I asked him about what he used and he responded with his usual 5 word texts (shark blades), but I'm just happy to have something with which to use to connect with my dad.
-Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's very good Andy, my Late Father and I talked very little, my Son and I talk a lot.
Regards,
Squire