Is Coate's still on the horizon?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Is Coate's still on the horizon?

Post by Squire »

Creighton's would be my choice, if anybody's asking.
Regards,
Squire
GentlemansShop

Post by GentlemansShop »

Hi There,

We sold our 50% share in TGS Products Ltd, owner of Coates, to our fellow shareholder Andrew Gidden on 21st June 2012 and that was the last we saw of him!

The contact information on the new Coates website is the same as for another of Andrew's companies, Red Lion Foods.

E mails sent via the website are answered by Alex, Andrew's "Go For".

It is extremely unlikely that old formula Coates will ever be produced. Creightons hold the formula and were very happy to produce the creams so long as you purchased 6000 pots in each fragrance, but this was my passion and not Andrew's objective. New Coates will no doubt appear in supermarkets under the "Red Lion" umbrella but branded "Coates", which is not a bad thing as his company donates 100% of it's pre tax profits to military charities.

Whilst working with Andrew we jointly explored having shaving brushes hand made by injured serviceman, now that would be something special if he pulls it off.

Sorry to be the voice of doom, but I honestly think Coates shaving cream as we remember it will be no more. On the other hand it must be said that Coates shaving cream only started life after David and Francis had purchased the bankrupt Simpsons / Coates business in the 1980's so not exactly a heritage brand.

All the best, Robert
Robert Johnston
The Gentleman's Shop
Charnham House
29 & 30 Charnham Street
Hungerford, RG17 0EJ

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com
Twitter: @GentlemansShop
Facebook:/GentlemansShop
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh well, on to other things. Thanks for the update Robert.
Regards,
Squire
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Thank you for the update Robert.
Cheers,

Craig
brothers

Post by brothers »

We've got a pirate's treasure of Coates of all varieties of the old creams stuffed away now. There's no looking back, anyway.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Robert, Much obliged for your in-depth reply. You've answered two questions that neither I, nor anyone else here, was ever sure about. Firstly, that it is Creighton's themselves who hold the actual formula for the old Coate's creams and secondly that there never was a Coate's shaving cream anytime before David Carter took control of the Simpson and Coate's names. Not many members of SMF were using products like this before the 1990s and the the very few that were never mentioned that they remembered Coate's from prior to that period. But, the question was never conclusively answered until your post here, so thank you. Sigh....but, 'heritage brand' or no they were still damn fine shave creams!
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, Robert. Thanks for the informative comments. Regardless of what may become of the brand, you are a positive part of that brand's lineage.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
btafan

Post by btafan »

Very interesting Robert, but still disappointing about the state of Coate's.
I've done a little more digging and found the trademark registry of Coate's in the UK here: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00002547168
In addition to shaving brushes, it's listed that they produce these other products:
"Pre-shave creams, shaving soaps, shaving balms, moisturising creams, after shaves, skin creams and oils, shower gels, pre-shave oils, body wash gels."

Also Ridata's website has a little something about their new brand Coate's: http://ridataltd.com/coates-1847.html
Anyone excited about the Coate's towel?
"Also from Coates is Freshwash, a large shower towel - brilliant for camping, competing or during the festival season."
-Andy
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Good finds Andy!
Cheers,

Craig
brothers

Post by brothers »

Andy, you ARE the world's only existing/remaining source of the good Coate's as it once was. It's an honor to have you here! It seems that everyone else's only relationship to Coate's is all talk and nothing else. Maybe they're trying to talk it back into existence. It's so much easier to talk about doing stuff than it is to actually DO stuff. I'll let them talk, and then I'll go in and look at my little box full of Coate's! :D
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andy, Interesting. The swan in the trademark registry is like the one used on the old Coate's creams from the David Carter era ( even though the registry date is 2010 ) whilst the logo on that company page is in the style that Robert was using on his product ( which I think is like the swan used on the Coate's brush handles back when Coate's was still an independent company ). Well, whatever. Robert's post above makes it pretty clear that it's HIGHLY unlikely that any re-introduction of a Coate's grooming line will include the kind of cream that made that name so respected on this shave forum.
Regards,
Gordon
mike

Post by mike »

brothers wrote:Andy, you ARE the world's only existing/remaining source of the good Coate's as it once was. It's an honor to have you here! It seems that everyone else's only relationship to Coate's is all talk and nothing else. Maybe they're trying to talk it back into existence. It's so much easier to talk about doing stuff than it is to actually DO stuff. I'll let them talk, and then I'll go in and look at my little box full of Coate's! :D
I agree with Gary. I have my lifetime supply of Coates, and really would have no need to purchase any more even if Coates did return.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

mike wrote:
brothers wrote:Andy, you ARE the world's only existing/remaining source of the good Coate's as it once was. It's an honor to have you here! It seems that everyone else's only relationship to Coate's is all talk and nothing else. Maybe they're trying to talk it back into existence. It's so much easier to talk about doing stuff than it is to actually DO stuff. I'll let them talk, and then I'll go in and look at my little box full of Coate's! :D
I agree with Gary. I have my lifetime supply of Coates, and really would have no need to purchase any more even if Coates did return.
Oh, Mike...sure you could find SOME reason to buy another lifetime supply....one for each of your male heirs??
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
btafan

Post by btafan »

Gary: Thanks, it's an honor to be here among such knowledgeable gentleman. I was just lucky enough to find the Coate's and took a little risk getting them into the hands of the guys who can enjoy them. I'm also about to truly become the sole source of Coate's once I buy the entire stash soon and hope to become a solid supplier.

Gordon: Thanks for the insight, and I'm still curious as to how there's 3 distinct logos and when the version that's on my tubes came about.
-Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andy, Well, I don't really know the story ( although Robert might ) but I assume that when David Carter took over the Coate's name and records ( around 1990 or a little earlier ) he just had someone fancy up the old Coate's logo a bit. Personally I always liked his version of the swan. I wish you well in acquiring that remaining Coate's stock from whoever the hell has been holding it ( chuckle ). It's a shame that there are no pots but realistically any pot of Coate's still in existence would almost certainly be rock-hard by now. Thanks again for your efforts.
Regards,
Gordon
GentlemansShop

Post by GentlemansShop »

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect this post, but...

http://ridataltd.com is registered at Andrew Gidden's home address and is the registered trademark holder for Coate's. The fact that this was registered illegally whilst owned by TGS Products Ltd and without the knowledge of Charlotte and myself did somewhat increase Andrew's offer for our 50% in the company!

Andrew was passionate about producing Coate's branded "wet wipes" is sealed foil pouches. He wanted to sell them to our armed forces so that after a hard day patrolling overseas they could freshen up wherever they were.

The Coate's logo from the Carter era was produced by Andy Green of Cirencester, ( http://www.andy-green.co.uk ) for their Coate's pots and tubes. Amongst the Coate's artefacts I discovered a catalogue from 1938 with the original Coate's swan on and had Andy use this on all the packaging I designed. Andrew however wanted me to get a tattooist to produce an "angry swan" instead, so I ignored him.

All the best, Robert
Robert Johnston
The Gentleman's Shop
Charnham House
29 & 30 Charnham Street
Hungerford, RG17 0EJ

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com
Twitter: @GentlemansShop
Facebook:/GentlemansShop
brothers

Post by brothers »

The plot thickens. I wasn't aware that tattoo parlors are designing corporate logos these days. I concede that an angry swan tattoo would be a refreshing change from the traditional sailing ships, Mom, and the name of the current girl or boy friend, or perhaps the ubiquitous tramp stamp. Hmmm - Coates Personal Wipes - can we pick up some of those next time in London? Heck, in addition to soldiers, maybe stevedores, longshoremen, lumberjacks, coal miners, truckers, and other hard working folks could benefit from a quick freshening-up. Angry Swan, indeed!
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Robert, Thanks for clarifying and adding specifics to what I thought was the story. You ( and Mr. Young ) are the only ones here who know these things in their exact details. A few times I had seen the original style Coate's swan on old shave brush handles ( never live, mind you, only pictures ). 'Wet wipes' eh? Wow!...even worse than I feared....oh well...sigh....
Regards,
Gordon