Comment on using up products

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Re: Comment on using up products

Post by brothers »

Hi Brian. Believe me(!), I've got tubes and tubes that will see me through until the day I can no longer shave. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Brian I wonder if shaving cream wasn't invented when some apprentice messed up a batch of soap and the owners realized the profit potential of selling something that would be used up faster.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Twenty six shaves into the match, the once mighty and strong bar of Mike's Lime soap isn't going to go without putting up a fight, alas, it's a fool's game. Tomorrow's challenger will be the Omega 48, heavyweight champion of the shaving world. I think, in honor of the late lamented Marlborough by DR Harris, I'm going to go by the championship rules that allow for a full 60 seconds of loading time with distilled water. This is the only cake of Mike's that I have, and I'll miss it when it's gone. Good news, just in from those boxes and containers lining the closet, and it seems there are scores of other valiant young cakes, all of them able, confident and sound challengers ready to pick up the standard and run headlong into the jaws of the beast. :shock: Stay tuned . . .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

notthesharpest wrote:If a person's actual aim (for whatever reason) is to use up the soap he has, then he should do it. (Though in some cases I think it would be faster to simply make a habit of cutting each new soap in half and throwing away one of the pieces, achieving the same effect). .....
A better answer would be for the people who make shave soaps to make smaller pucks. I, for one, prefer variety, and would much rather have two half-sized pucks in different scents than one full-size puck.

I'd gladly pay more per gram of soap in order to have the ability to buy smaller pucks so I could have more variety.

Soapmakers, are you listening? :)
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike's Lime soap ran out after providing 28 shaves. The positive reviews are appropriate. This one is for real. Don't take my word for it. Get your own. :D
Gary

Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I'm loving Mike's Lime Soap, its fully replaced Trumper's Lime Soap for me.
Cheers,

Craig
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Of course one could make their own soap and have an endless variety of sizes and scents.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Surely I am schizophrenic ... on the one hand, it's great to really lather up gobs of shave soap and manufacture
many servings (far more than are actually needed) of rich lather. After enjoying a seriously wonderful shave,
my mood turns dark... what if I just over-used a soap the maker will discontinue or degrade tomorrow??

From where will my next cake come. Not financially able to stock up, buying dozens more, what is to be done?
Can I somehow restore the excess soap just used?? Cold sweat beaks out...

Then I wake up, rush to the bathroom and convince myself that there is plenty of soap still left. But my next
shave will use a LITTLE less soap...NOT!

Is wet-shaving a necessary or socially desireable hygienic act, a hobby, an obsession...or a madness??
Whatever it is, it sure is fun to provoke and sustain a thread like this!

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For me it's a pleasure.
Regards,
Squire
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

kingfisher wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:If a person's actual aim (for whatever reason) is to use up the soap he has, then he should do it. (Though in some cases I think it would be faster to simply make a habit of cutting each new soap in half and throwing away one of the pieces, achieving the same effect). .....
A better answer would be for the people who make shave soaps to make smaller pucks. I, for one, prefer variety, and would much rather have two half-sized pucks in different scents than one full-size puck.

I'd gladly pay more per gram of soap in order to have the ability to buy smaller pucks so I could have more variety.

Soapmakers, are you listening? :)
I have all the variety I want - I just have a box with several partly-used soaps in it. :)

Convenience for people who use a large brush, real economy (not having to re-tool factories to make new sizes) and many customers' perceptions of economy ("those shysters are making the soap smaller and smaller but charging the same price") probably prevent most size changes for soap.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Right now I'm enjoying two soaps until they eventually get all used up: a stick of Irisch Moos pressed into a glass bowl, and a generous sample of soap made by Dosco (Dave). I have a much larger portion of Irisch Moos than Dave's soap to go through. I'm primarily using distilled water and loading the brush for 30 seconds. My tap water's too hard to make a great lather, unless I want to load the brush for a full 60 seconds. Either way, both of these soaps make an excellent lather. I think I prefer to use only one soap at a time because it seems like an eternity if I don't use the soap every day. The trick is to use excellent soaps that I really like. Using the same one all the time if I don't particularly enjoy it is a good way to get given or thrown away. It doesn't take long to figure out if a soap's a keeper or a loser if they're used every day. The good get better and the "not my cup of tea" soaps get more annoying every day! :D Both of the current soaps are great. It won't take long for the remainder of the sample to run out, and the Moos will be around for a while.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Update, the Moos is still going strong, and maybe has another 6 to 10 shaves left. I've been able to reduce the loading time with my new Thater brush to 20 seconds, and the quantity of thick abundant lather is sufficient for 3 full passes and some left over. So far, the IM soap has yielded 35 shaves with distilled water, and loading time between 20 and 30 seconds on the soap.
Gary

changabang

Post by changabang »

"This is nothing other than an inexpensive and innocent hobby…" Not! Let's just call it what it is: yet another enslaving addiction. I say this with tongue in cheek, Gary, because I know deep down you agree with me. I would daresay we'd have been far ahead of the game, monetarily, if we had just stuck to canned goo and carts. Of course, then there would have been no adventure...
James Nicks
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Of course the canned products do offer a thrill of the chase aspect to our hobby. The monthly two-for-one senior sale days at Walgreens for instance.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Squire wrote:Of course the canned products do offer a thrill of the chase aspect to our hobby. The monthly two-for-one senior sale days at Walgreens for instance.
Excuse me??? !!!
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm looking for a 2 for 1 sale (BOGO) at that big name department store that sells Creed shaving soaps. Those canned products last way too long in my cabinet, maybe because I never use them any more.
Gary

alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Squire wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote::) I wish I could use soaps up faster. I've been working on using the lesser functioning products and in the case of 2 of them they finally were invited into the shower with me. It's incredible how long soaps last for shaving, but showering with them uses them up much faster.
Williams makes perfectly adequate shower soap.

Mix Williams with a pinch of Palmolive shave cream and you can even shave with it! 8)
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:Murray, I've been wondering how long a cake of Mike's soap lasts when used regularly, and the brushes loaded generously. I have a cake of Mike's Lime that will eventually work it's way up to the top of my list. I've only used it a handful of times, and I think it's a pretty hard soap.
Following up, Mike's lime held out for about 32 shaves. That's two more shaves than the DRH Marlborough soap. :)
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I haven't used up any products in several months. Learning to make high performance shaving soap was the catalyst that reshuffled my creams and soaps. First I assumed I'd never again use any soap but my own. That's unrealistic and unnecessary. What really happened was that my eyes were opened to the use and performance of shaving soaps. Fragrances took on a different level of importance. I off-loaded a lot of stuff. Others caught my attention and have became a part of my small inner circle of top performers. It'll be hard for me to concentrate on using any one soap (or cream) from start to finish. There are only a very few creams that I care anything about. My best soaps are down to about 5 and creams down to about 4. Beyond that, I can take or leave 'em.
Gary

wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Since I began this shaving journey in
the mid 80's I've used up several pucks
of William's and one puck of Old Spice.

In 2005 when I broadened by horizon I've
used up a couple ( or has it been three? )
tubs of Taylor's Lavender cream. A tub
of Castle Forbes Lime and one puck of
Trumper's Rose soap and one puck of
their Coconut soap.

I'm presently working on using up a puck
of Harris Lavender soap and a tub of Taylor's
Rose cream.

So far the only soap that has found it's way
to the shower was a puck of Lightfoot's pine.

This brings me personal enjoyment and that's
all that matters. I'm sure that you guys would
agree.

Terry