Comment on using up products

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Re: Comment on using up products

Post by brothers »

Agree 100% Terry, you said it!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Certainly do agree Terry.
Regards,
Squire
Zemlya

Post by Zemlya »

Absolutely. Why buy something and not use it? I know people who purchase $500 kitchen knives and they become drawer queens--what's the point?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday I proudly finished a tub of Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream. It was lightly used when I bought it from someone on the forums, and it served me well through 52 daily shaves. I think it's so much more than just a cream. Closer to a soft soap, and that's how I loaded my brush, right in the tub for about 15 seconds. If I tried that with some of the more conventional shaving creams it would have been a big mess and a very wasteful use of the soft creams. Since I started finishing off one product at a time intentionally in 2012, I've finished off 26 soaps and creams, and 5 tubes of 444 ASB.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Since that last post, I've used up a full tub of Guillermo (William) soap; what was left of a puck of Pens' Blenheim Bouquet, a half puck of AOS tallow Sandalwood, and a tube of 444 ASB. Presently working on a big blob of Cella Extra Extra Purissima soap. I may or may not use it all up this time, depending on how fast it wants to exhaust itself with a 15 to 20 second brush loading every day. One thing --- it's so good and good smelling, I won't get tired of using it every day. Updating the totals, that's 29 soaps/creams and 6 tubes of 444 since my first one ran out in 2012.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

since my first one ran out in 2012.
:shock: :shock: :shock: dont even think I finished a puck of rose in that time, and i use it everyday!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, I think you have found your perfect soap, and you're a very lucky guy to be able to make it last so long. I just go with the 15 to 20 second loading habit and never look back. The longest lasting soap in my case has been the Martin de Candre from France. It lasted 100 shaves. Second to that was the bowl containing 3 sticks of Valobra hard soap, which lasted 77 shaves. I was somewhat surprised that the AOS puck lasted through 51 shaves. I was thinking it might last a bit longer. I am a believer in making a bountiful lather in the lather bowl after loading the brush on the soap. My son's got his own shaving soaps and creams stacked to the rafters, so I have no motivation to save my meager hoard of little dusty balls of wax and soap for future generations to throw away when I am no longer in need of a daily shave. :D
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

[attachment=0]IMG_20160209_102943.jpg

gary, i bought a bottle of MdC several years. Ive used it 20-30 times. Pic attached for reference. At my rate of use, i'll never see the end :D :D
Attachments
IMG_20160209_102943.jpg
IMG_20160209_102943.jpg (18.72 KiB) Viewed 8353 times
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I still have a case of the original Palmolive Shave cream tubes tucked away in a drawer. I never use it, but view it as an investment. It's already worth more than twice what I paid for it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

It's already worth more than twice what I paid for it
start yoyr own shave fund pete....you can be next bill gates :D :D
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

Same here, Pete. I have to be honest, I'm amazed how valuable it seems to be. But people want what they want. I myself paid "way too much" for some old Trumper's Violet shaving cream recently. Truth be told, I don't regret it one bit. And now I have plenty to use liberally and enjoy, just as Gary was getting at with the start of this thread years ago.
Dan
brothers

Loading the brush for 10 seconds

Post by brothers »

With the Razorock Monster Plissoft synthetic from Italian Barber it only requires 10 seconds of loading on the soap or hard cream to deliver my daily lather mountain. The most recent product to be finished off (last week) was the last third of a tub of Castle Forbes Cedarwood. This is due to the synthetic fiber's ability to create strong lathers from small amounts of product. I'm currently using a tub of Nancy Boy Signature cream. Because it's a soft cream, I don't load the brush. I get an almond-sized scoop of cream from the tub and place it into the bottom of my wooden lather bowl, then I run a prudent amount of scalding hot tap water into the bowl and let it sit for a few moments before hitting it with the completely dry synthetic brush. Before too long I'm swimming in lather: slick, cushiony and protective. One of the best, and I'll be sad when it runs out, but not so sad that it won't be quickly replaced by a Taylor's product, soap or cream to be determined when the time comes.
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Yesterday I ran into a tub if TOBS Sandawood cream I got when the last thread discussed their creams. I am currently using my second stick of ARKO stuck in one of the empty deodorant applicators Gary sent me. I just fill the sink with hottest water and after wetting my face, I stick the end of the ARKO in and rub a good bit on my stubble. Dip the Razorock Mnster into the water; squeeze out the excess and lather up. It to produces a great lather.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I'm trying to use up several shaving products -- mostly ones that are just OK, but don't quite measure up to the "Buy it Again" list.

I've got two jars of Proraso pre-shave cream (one green, one red) that I am using as after-shave moisurizers until I've used them both up. I love Proraso products in general, and both creams smell great -- just not sure a pre-shave provides any improvement to the actual shaving process, but it is adequate for post shave. My 2¢.

The only other items I'm actually trying to finish up and be done with are the numerous samples from Garry's Sample Shop and elsewhere -- most were fun to try, but nothing that really wagged its tail at me. I will likely end up scooping them all into a single, large container, and have a true mongrel -- they're friendly, right?
disengage
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Talking about using up--I have the opposite problem: I am running out of two of my favorite cheap aftershaves. New Musk by Prince Machebelli that I was buying at Amazon for about 10 bucks, and the original Aqua Velva in the glass bottle. I am avoiding even using them because when they're gone they're gone.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

Ouchmychin posted:
"Talking about using up--I have the opposite problem: I am running out of two of my favorite cheap aftershaves. New Musk by Prince Machebelli that I was buying at Amazon for about 10 bucks, and the original Aqua Velva in the glass bottle. I am avoiding even using them because when they're gone they're gone."
----------------------------------------------------
I feel your pain Pete. I deliberately avoid products that are destined for extinction -- I know from past experience that it's a little like falling in love, and having your lover disappear. Obviously aftershave is a much less important component of life, but the principle is the same. I don't want to like a product so much that it would seriously sadden me if it were discontinued.

This has happened to me more than once, and will likely recur sometime in the future (life being what it is) but I sidestep if I see it coming. I really liked Irisch Moos shaving stick, so I picked up three -- they're long gone and replacement is, sadly, impossible.

Should I be worried about Tabac disappearing?
disengage
brothers

Post by brothers »

Update - the count is now 36 soaps and creams and 6 tubes of 444 used up since I started keeping count 4 years ago. Currently, I'm using a tub of Mike's Natural Lime using the Monster brush and only 10 seconds of loading on the soap before taking the brush to the face. This will be my second Mike's Lime. It's a wonderful tallow based hard soap.
Gary

BPman

Post by BPman »

Ouchmychin wrote:and the original Aqua Velva in the glass bottle. I am avoiding even using them because when they're gone they're gone.
I cannot tell any difference between vintage Aqua Velva & new. Regarding Old Spice yes, it has been reformulated and is far too sweet now.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

he count is now 36 soaps and creams and 6 tubes of 444 used up since I started keeping count 4 years ago.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Im on my second puck of trumpers rose :D :D

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:July 10, 2013 - We don't know how much longer we'll be physically able to shave, or even breathe. My mission is to enjoy my stuff to the maximum while I am able. What am I going to save it for? I've spent a lot of time and effort, and I've received a lot of enjoyment doing this shaving deal. I use all kinds of razors and all kinds of the other stuff, including soap. I've got multiples of my favorites. Soon I'll make some really good shaving soap from scratch, like grandma used to make a pie, and I'll use it with total abandon. If we aren't having fun, we're doing something wrong. I'm having fun and I'm not doing anything wrong. This is just one chap standing in front of the mirror and shaving off my whiskers once a day so I feel good about my appearance and about what I do. This is nothing other than an inexpensive and innocent hobby, for lack of a better word. I happen to love it. I love interacting with you guys too!
I've said it before and I'll say it again right now. The only change that's taken place since I posted this is that the homemade soap came out better than I expected, and I have 8 pots of it in my lineup. I owe the gents who I have encountered through SMF a huge word of thanks for opening my eyes to better shaving experiences.

Clive, I think you have found your perfect soap, and you're a very lucky guy to be able to make it last so long. I'm not changing a thing, and neither should you!
Gary