Shaving over a mole/spot...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Martin

Shaving over a mole/spot...

Post by Martin »

Hello, anyone have any tips on how to shave over a mole or spot without it bleeding?. Obviously I cant avoid it otherwise id have a hairy patch, but shaving over it can bleed easily no matter how gentle I am.

Thanks,

Martin.
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Shaving over a mole/spot...

Post by jww »

Maybe get it looked at by a dermatologist for removal? If it bleeds easily, it may want tending to.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I don't have to shave over mine so this is just a suggestion. I use the new Schick Hydro 5 in my rotation and find that its gel bar makes the shave so slick that I have to be really dumb or careless to get a cut or nick. Never get razor burn. I'm thinking that with a little Vaseline or mineral oil rubbed into the mole and copious shave cream to soften hairs, the flat shallow head might glide over it and get rid of a lot of hair with just a single wtg pass. Hope this helps until someone who actually has experience gives you a more definitive answer.
Pete
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It would seem the options are learn to work around it or have it removed.
Regards,
Squire
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

Speaking as a teenager who breaks out now and then, usually I can just shave right over pimples and blackheads without causing any damage at all, as long as I stretch properly. I would reiterate the advice that you get a dermatologist to check it.
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Perhaps you can shave it from one direction, but not the other. I have one mole and i shave it upwards only. If i shave it downwards and i am careless with too much pressure/angle it can bleed sometimes.
Jarmo
Greenhouse

Post by Greenhouse »

I find that shaving it very, very gently works. Plus, I pay special attention to keeping the blade as parallel to the skin as possible when you're going over the mole (i.e., very small angle between blade and skin). Even with all that, I'll still manage to nick it every once in a while. When that happens, I just shave around it until it heals -- usually about 3 days.

Whether or not you can live with it depends on the shape and height of the mole. If it gets cut regularly, consult a dermatologist.

- Greenhouse.
btafan

Post by btafan »

I didn't have a mole, but instead a sebaceous cyst in my chin that had been growing over the years. Once I started wetshaving I kept nicking it, even though it wasn't more than a slight bulge. After the nicks led to acne on top of the cyst, I finally gave in and asked my dad who's a doctor if he could cut it out. So he put me on the kitchen table and cut out a golf ball's worth of keratin and puss. I didn't realize there was so much in there, so I can already feel the difference while the wound is healing, and it's already easier to navigate with the wound still there than it was before.
-Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well . . . that's good.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

They say that the most important decisions and actions take place around - or clearly in Andy's case, on - the kitchen table of most homes.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Unless the woman of the house is irate and has a good throwing arm.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Unless the woman of the house is irate and has a good throwing arm.
Which comes in handy when trying to get rid of folks.
Wendell