Pawns stars shamelessy tries to pulloff a DE razor

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
btafan

Re: Pawns stars shamelessy tries to pulloff a DE razor

Post by btafan »

i_shaved_something wrote:Hey, he could be pitching the latest 7 blade cartridge system, so it's not all bad. I do think the price is too high, esp with the bogus shipping, but this could all be worse. Maybe we can negotiate?
"It's $19.99"
"How about $5? It's just a stinkin Weishi"
"I'll do $15"
"How about $10? Don't you read shave forums?"
"OK, $12, that's my final offer"
"OK, and free shipping, shake on it"
( Cut to Chumlee shaving with it segment, cuts self, Old Man gives him hard time )
"Best I can do is $14. Hey, you gotta understand I have overhead and I got employees to pay to inventory and pay for Chumlee's mistakes."
-Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I expect the tv gig is the sweetest deal those guys ever pulled.
Regards,
Squire
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Funny you guys are talking about this. That advertisment is what made me get into DE shaving. I almost pulled the trigger BUT did a little home work and found some good sites and this Forum and felt it it was not that great a deal in the long run. Learned a lot on here. You get what you pay for-for sure. So maybe its a good thing, and will bring light to the Shaving world.
btafan

Post by btafan »

flintlock wrote:Funny you guys are talking about this. That advertisment is what made me get into DE shaving. I almost pulled the trigger BUT did a little home work and found some good sites and this Forum and felt it it was not that great a deal in the long run. Learned a lot on here. You get what you pay for-for sure. So maybe its a good thing, and will bring light to the Shaving world.
I applaud you for taking the exact route that we were hoping and not getting scared off by the "as seen on TV" rip-off approach. Apparently, mantic59's order was cancelled for shady reasons so you definitely saved yourself lots of time and money. I just wonder how many people were conned by the ad and now are going back to the carts.

I also wonder what kind of advertising in the US would be profitable for a vendor to do to generate interest in wetshaving in general. I guess the issue is that most vendors are small and have the opposite situation as P&G's grip and marketing machine has.
-Andy
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

BTW, Flintlock, welcome to SMF.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

btafan wrote:...Apparently, mantic59's order was cancelled for shady reasons so you definitely saved yourself lots of time and money. I just wonder how many people were conned by the ad and now are going back to the carts....
No, I just had to make sure they *didnt* cancel it. As a matter of fact I got an email a couple days ago that the order had shipped. It will be...interesting...to see what I actually get. :roll:
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I just received it. Dorco blades. No manufacturing markings on the razor ("Made in China" on the back of the case). It does remind me of a Weishi. There is actually some heft and balance to it. There's a small "getting started" pamphlet with it. More to come this evening I hope...

dosco

Post by dosco »

This morning I just saw the TV ad for the first time ... interesting.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm wondering if they are happy with the results of this campaign. This is probably the only other commercial venture currently running, other than the Dollar a Month club(what do they call that?). If this is big bucks, then maybe we'll be seeing each other on the big screen selling some stuff! Why not!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

OK, I've had a few shaves with the Micro Touch One. These are my initial thoughts. A much more thorough review and video will be coming soon on Sharpologist.

Overall, not a bad razor kit, but over-priced for what you get. The razor is apparently engineered to be exceedingly mild. Dorco blades are acceptable (to me anyway, Your Mileage May Vary). The little instruction pamphlet that came with it is surprisingly complete (though it omits anything about the importance of the lack of pressure on the razor while shaving).

On first inspection, the Micro Touch One certainly looks like a Weishi razor. However, my Weishi (an earlier model from around 2006) is a bit heavier, 63 grams vs. 56 grams for the Micro Touch One. And it…”felt” different in my hand–-the balance is not the same. I can’t describe it any better. I'm guessing it's OEM (original equipment manufacturer) Weishi but I say so with only about 90% confidence--a unauthorized “Weishi clone” is certainly possible (manufacturing in the Far East isn’t exactly known for its business ethics).

Anyway, loading one of the included Dorco blades showed the razor head to set the blade symmetrically but with very little blade exposure. I was pretty sure that this was going to be a mild shaver before I even used it. The twist-to-open (TTO) mechanism operated smoothly and held the blade in place firmly.

For my first shave with it I intentionally over-prepped my face and used a shave cream I knew worked well with me and whose characteristics I understood. The Dorco blade felt a bit harsh on the first few strokes but settled down for the balance of the shave. I was correct in my visual observation: this is a very mild shaver. It took a little more effort that the other razors I normally use, but I was actually able to get a pretty decent shave out of it. Successive shaves have been about the same: very mild

My initial opinion is if you bought a One Touch Micro razor on an impulse from the TV commercial, you probably paid too much for what you received, and I don’t know how it’s going to hold up in the long run (personally, I doubt it will become an heirloom passed down to your children), but I think it is an acceptable entry into “old school” DE shaving. That said, there are definitely better alternatives in terms of value and quality.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Very good description, just what I'd expected.
Regards,
Squire
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

OK, now that I've had a chance to use the Micro Touch One for a while, HERE is a more thorough review along with a how-to-use-it guide for DE newbies (plus video!).
infotech

Post by infotech »

This is a sure sign that DE shaving has made it big time. No wonder Gillette stopped manufacturing the best blade on the market... they knew what was coming
James
brothers

Post by brothers »

The razor and case are an attractive package.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ronnie Aloha

Post by Ronnie Aloha »

With the cost of the commercial production and for the pawn star endorsement the price point seems reasonable.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

OK, now that I've had a chance to use the Micro Touch One for a while, HERE is a more thorough review along with a how-to-use-it guide for DE newbies (plus video!).
Great instructive/entertaining video, thank you Mark.
Jarmo
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

i_shaved_something wrote:Hey, he could be pitching the latest 7 blade cartridge system, so it's not all bad. I do think the price is too high, esp with the bogus shipping, but this could all be worse. Maybe we can negotiate?
"It's $19.99"
"How about $5? It's just a stinkin Weishi"
"I'll do $15"
"How about $10? Don't you read shave forums?"
"OK, $12, that's my final offer"
"OK, and free shipping, shake on it"
( Cut to Chumlee shaving with it segment, cuts self, Old Man gives him hard time )
Or, in another scene...

"This was my great-great-grandfather's razor. Took it to Cuba in the Spanish-American War, fought his way out of a POW camp with it, and used it until his dying day. I think it was a gift from Theodore Roosevelt."
"Give ya six bucks."
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've lived my whole life without even once deciding I had something valuable to sell, wanting to turn it into cash, and thinking, I should take this to a pawn shop and sell it for a fair price. A pawn shop??? =D> =D> =D> =D> Who does that?
Gary

Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Meh
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We have a local pawn shop that offers to buy used DVDs for $1.00 but when you take them in they hem, haw and finally offer .20 cents each. That's how pawn shops operate preying on financially desperate people.
Regards,
Squire